|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What biblical book connects monarchy with the commandment to honor thy father?
2. What does the basis of government depend upon according to Locke?
3. Who are the inheritors?
4. What right did man have with regard to other, according to Filmer?
5. Who is described by Filmer as possibly having absolute power as a monarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Locke says about the relationship of men and women.
2. Describe some effects on inheritance mentioned in the bible and cited by Locke.
3. What does Locke say about Adam and Eve regarding power?
4. According to Filmer, what are the only two ways that a king can come to power?
5. Describe the basis of government according to Locke.
6. What does Filmer infer about the Fifth Commandment?
7. What does Filmer say about power and Adam's line?
8. Describe fatherly authority.
9. Explain what Filmer believes is the relationship between Cain and Abel.
10. How does absolutism prevent freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Locke, what significance does birthright have in determining a person's right to rule? Write about the role of inheritance in creating a government for the people according to Locke.
Essay Topic 2
Locke advocates shared sovereignty in terms of gender equality at home. If both parents share equal authority, what do you think this means in terms of responsibility and hence power dynamics in society at large? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
According to Locke, does man lose any freedom by becoming a member of society? What freedom does man have in nature and what freedom does he have in society? Compare and contrast, referencing the book appropriately.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)