|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What belief, according to Locke, prevents the right to natural freedom?
2. What is used to justify royal authority in the First Treatise?
3. What does Filmer's logic imply about succeeding monarchs?
4. What does Locke disagree with Filmer about concerning the rights of the first man in the world?
5. Who are the inheritors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some effects on inheritance mentioned in the bible and cited by Locke.
2. Describe what Locke says about the relationship of men and women.
3. What does Locke say about Adam and Eve regarding power?
4. What does Filmer believe Genesis 3:16 says about man and government?
5. How does absolutism prevent freedom?
6. What does Locke use to refute the theory of absolute monarchy?
7. Describe the basis of government according to Locke.
8. What point does Locke bring up regarding birthright, dominion, and possessions?
9. According to Locke, what does the Patriarcha treatise say about freedom?
10. What does Locke say about Adam's heir's relationship to other creatures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship of Adam to Eve in terms of power? What power do they exert over their children? Discuss how the relationship of Adam and Eve is essential to understanding power dynamics in society according to Locke.
Essay Topic 2
According to Locke, the transfer of power in society is not always from father to son. Give an example of this and explains what this means for individual liberty.
Essay Topic 3
In an absolute monarchy, one individual has supreme power. Write a paragraph describing in your own words the relationship of government to power and individual liberty, referencing The Two Treatises of Government to support your claim.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)