|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Locke, to whom did God give the power of dominion?
2. How does Filmer define the relationship between man and other creatures?
3. What belief, according to Locke, prevents the right to natural freedom?
4. In the First Treatise, what does Locke believe that the book Patriacha actually promotes?
5. What does Filmer claim is the relationship between men and creatures?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Locke's argument about multiple kings and what their existence shows.
2. What does divine rights imply?
3. What does Locke say about the rights of the mother?
4. According to Locke, what does the Patriarcha treatise say about freedom?
5. What practice does Locke believe Filmer bases his theory of absolute monarchy?
6. What does Filmer say about power and Adam's line?
7. What kind of power is the right of supremacy?
8. What does Filmer believe Genesis 3:16 says about man and government?
9. What does Filmer infer about the Fifth Commandment?
10. What does Filmer base most of his arguments upon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Locke, the transfer of power in society is not always from father to son. Give an example of this and explains what this means for individual liberty.
Essay Topic 2
How does Locke define the relationship between a ruler and his people? Does the ruler exert absolute power over his subjects? When is this appropriate? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Locke describes man's safety in nature and in society. Is man safer in nature than in society? Why does man join society and what does society offer him? Explain whether you think man acquires or loses safety when he joins society, using evidence from the book to validate your theory.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)