|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Filmer define the relationship between man and other creatures?
(a) Man fights with other creatures.
(b) Man has the right to use creatures.
(c) Man is subservient to other creatures.
(d) Man and other creatures are equal.
2. What two things does Locke feel are conflated?
(a) Property and slave ownership.
(b) Birthright and dominion.
(c) Right to buy and the right to sell.
(d) Right to govern and the need to have control.
3. What right did man have with regard to other, according to Filmer?
(a) No rights.
(b) The right to share land with them.
(c) To use them as necessary.
(d) The right to consume them for food.
4. What important argument does Locke refute in the First Treatise?
(a) That men and women are equal.
(b) That Adam had the right to private dominion and absolute power over other men.
(c) That governments can have slaves.
(d) That people must live peacefully together.
5. Why it is important to figure out the right of inheritance?
(a) It determines the transfer of power.
(b) It repudiates primogeniture.
(c) It creates order.
(d) It explains the need for individual liberty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys his brother's birthright?
2. What belief does Locke not challenge in the First Treatise?
3. Who does Filmer think the heir should be?
4. On what does Filmer base most of his theories for monarchy?
5. What is the only thing that Locke can find in the scriptures pertaining to power and God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference in opinion Locke and Filmer have about Adam's right to govern.
2. Describe who Filmer believes the heir to power should be.
3. What confusion arises as a direct result of equating birthright with dominion?
4. What does Locke use to refute the theory of absolute monarchy?
5. How does absolutism prevent freedom?
6. What does Filmer infer about the Fifth Commandment?
7. Describe fatherly authority.
8. What does Filmer believe Genesis 3:16 says about man and government?
9. Explain what Filmer believes is the relationship between Cain and Abel.
10. What point does Locke bring up regarding birthright, dominion, and possessions?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)