|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Locke, to whom did God give the power of dominion?
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Slave owners.
2. Who does Filmer think is an ideal monarch?
(b) Eternally youthful.
(c) An absolute ruler.
(d) A despot.
3. According to the First Treatise, in whom is power vested?
(a) Locke and his followers.
(b) King James.
(c) Filmer and his followers.
(d) Adam and descendants.
4. Which book in the bible discusses the creation of animals?
5. Who buys his brother's birthright?
6. What does Locke say he cannot find proof for in the First Treatise?
(a) That slavery is legal.
(b) That ordinary men can own property.
(c) The royalty's claim to rule by divine right through the sovereignty of Adam.
(d) Adam's right to be supreme.
7. Why it is important to figure out the right of inheritance?
(a) It explains the need for individual liberty.
(b) It determines the transfer of power.
(c) It creates order.
(d) It repudiates primogeniture.
8. What claim of Filmer's does Locke dispute?
(a) That God gave men dominion over women.
(b) That mothers have equal shares in begetting children.
(c) That children have the right to leave their homes.
(d) That cannibalism is acceptable.
9. What commandment applies to men and women according to Locke?
(a) Third Commandment.
(b) Fifth Commandment.
(c) Sixth Commandment.
(d) Second Commandment.
10. On what does Filmer base most of his theories for monarchy?
(a) The right of property owners.
(b) The right of the bourgeoise.
(c) The right of the rich.
(d) The right of inheritance.
11. Which kings does Locke discuss?
(a) American kings.
(b) Phoenician kings.
(c) English kings.
(d) Biblical kings.
12. According to Filmer in the First Treatise what does the bible prove?
(a) The right to assemble.
(b) The right to assemble.
(c) The right to bear arms.
(d) The grant of government.
13. What kind of government does Exodus imply according to Filmer?
14. What rights does Locke believe that Adam's heir possesses in relation to these creatures?
(a) All rights.
(b) The same as other men.
(c) No rights.
(d) More rights than other men.
15. In what country does Locke discuss the occurrence of cannibalism?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which descendant of Adam escapes the flood?
2. What does Filmer's logic imply about succeeding monarchs?
3. What right did man have with regard to other, according to Filmer?
4. What relationship of power does Locke think is hard to understand?
5. What two things does Filmore say are necessary for absolute monarchy to work?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)