|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Treatise of Government, Chapters 1-5, pp. 5-36.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Filmer propose is the cause for men being denied freedom?
(a) Short lifespans.
(b) Lack of property ownership.
(d) Adam's creation.
2. Who is described by Filmer as possibly having absolute power as a monarch?
(a) A property owner.
(c) King James.
3. What effect does Locke feel that Filmer's comparison of powers have?
(a) Creates zealots.
(b) Confuses readers.
(c) Evokes anger.
(d) Flatters the ambitions of monarchs.
4. Who offers a compelling argument in favor of the right to rule?
5. What two powers are considered identical by Filmer?
(a) The power of the fathers and the power of kings.
(b) The right to own a slave and the right to fight.
(c) The power of marriage and the power of childbirth.
(d) The right to own property and the right to marry someone of your own choice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book in the bible discusses the creation of animals?
2. What belief does Locke not challenge in the First Treatise?
3. What is Locke's conclusion pertaining to the knowledge contained in the biblical scripture?
4. Who does Filmer think is an ideal monarch?
5. What important argument does Locke refute in the First Treatise?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)