|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11- 15, pp. 182 - 204.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The king's right to supremacy over subjects is similar to what other power mentioned in the first five chapters of the book?
(a) Filmer over his followers.
(b) The court jester's desire to flatter the monarch.
(c) Adam's right to supremacy over his family.
(d) The head of slaves to other slaves.
2. What happens upon the death of Adam according to Filmer?
(a) Division of authority.
(b) Chaos and anarchy.
(c) Father's estate goes to the eldest son.
(d) Takeover from rival.
3. What does Locke write is necessary to stop war?
(a) Plenty of food for everyone.
(b) A peaceful resolution with the aggressor.
4. What is the one supreme power over the commonwealth?
(a) The executive.
(b) The legislative.
(c) The federative.
(d) The political.
5. What penalties can laws sometimes include?
(a) The death penalty.
(b) The loss of speech.
(c) The loss of marriage.
(d) The loss of a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Locke define "parental power"?
2. Despite man's liberty, what does Locke argue that man should not be allowed to do?
3. What effect does Locke feel that Filmer's comparison of powers have?
4. What do laws exist for?
5. What does Locke argue about the inheritance of power and the right to rule?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)