|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6-10, pp. 37-73.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the First Treatise, in whom is power vested?
(a) Filmer and his followers.
(b) Locke and his followers.
(c) Adam and descendants.
(d) King James.
2. To support what theory does Locke employ numerous citations?
(a) The right to own slaves.
(b) The need for subservience in children.
(c) The divine right to rule inherited by Adam.
(d) The equality of power between both parents.
3. What does Sir Robert conclude about the use of the term "children of men"?
(a) That it did not pertain to Adam who had no father.
(b) That the children of men had power over Adam.
(c) That the children of men would be oppressed.
(d) That the children of men were born to serve.
4. What biblical book connects monarchy with the commandment to honor thy father?
5. From whom do monarchs derive power?
(a) Their subjects.
(b) Their property.
(c) Adam and his power of fatherhood.
(d) Their children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Filmer attribute the power of fatherhood?
2. Who offers a compelling argument in favor of the right to rule?
3. In the First Treatise, what does Locke believe that the book Patriacha actually promotes?
4. What claim of Filmer's does Locke dispute?
5. How does Filmer define the relationship between man and other creatures?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)