|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-5, pp. 115-139.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the First Treatise, in whom is power vested?
(a) Locke and his followers.
(b) King James.
(c) Filmer and his followers.
(d) Adam and descendants.
2. What are the only two ways that kings can come to power, according to Filmer?
(a) Through the vote of the people.
(b) Through marriage and winning wars.
(c) By being the heirs of fathers of people or the heirs of usurpers of power.
(d) Through property ownership.
3. What does Locke believe that the First Treatise proves?
(a) That Adam did not have authority over his children.
(b) That Adam's authority stemmed from God.
(c) That Adam's authority came from being a father.
(d) That Adam had authority over his children.
4. What is the only thing that Locke can find in the scriptures pertaining to power and God?
(a) Divine right of kings.
(b) The commandment "honor thy father."
(c) Right to slavery and ownership of property.
(d) The commandment "love thy neighbor."
5. Who does Filmer attribute the power of fatherhood?
(a) All men.
(c) King James.
(d) All kings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should judges be held accountable for?
2. What right does Locke say any citizen has regarding crimes?
3. What happens in a state of liberty?
4. What is Locke's conclusion pertaining to the knowledge contained in the biblical scripture?
5. Which kings does Locke discuss?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)