|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-5, pp. 115-139.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the basis of sovereignty of monarchs in the First Treatise?
(a) That the power of Adam is conveyed to succeeding generations.
(b) That citizens accept the theory.
(c) That no one opposes monarchs.
(d) That slaves do not rebel.
2. Who does Filmer think the heir should be?
(a) Someone strong.
(b) Someone wise.
(c) Someone with the God-given right to rule over men.
(d) Someone powerful.
3. What does Filmer's logic imply about succeeding monarchs?
(a) They are much weaker than the first monarch.
(b) They win the right to rule through a debate.
(c) They must prove their right to rule through one-on-one combat.
(d) They get their rights to rule from the first monarch.
4. What two things does Locke feel are conflated?
(a) Right to govern and the need to have control.
(b) Birthright and dominion.
(c) Right to buy and the right to sell.
(d) Property and slave ownership.
5. What does political power involve?
(a) The right to speak.
(b) The right to dominate.
(c) The transfer of property.
(d) The making of laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Locke think sometimes determines who will be king?
2. What belief, according to Locke, prevents the right to natural freedom?
3. What was dominion measured in during this time?
4. To support what theory does Locke employ numerous citations?
5. How does Filmer define the relationship between man and other creatures?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)