|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-5, pp. 115-139.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Locke define political power as?
(a) The power of a husband over a wife.
(b) The power of a father over a child.
(c) The power that a magistrate has over a subject.
(d) The power of a master over a slave.
2. What quality does Filmer determine that all rulers must possess?
(a) They must be fair-minded.
(b) They must be descendants of Adam.
(c) They must offer strong leadership.
(d) They must be gentle.
3. From whom do monarchs derive power?
(a) Adam and his power of fatherhood.
(b) Their subjects.
(c) Their children.
(d) Their property.
4. Who are the inheritors?
(a) Property owners.
(b) Adam's line and posterity.
(d) Adam's children Cain and Abel only.
5. What are the only two ways that kings can come to power, according to Filmer?
(a) By being the heirs of fathers of people or the heirs of usurpers of power.
(b) Through the vote of the people.
(c) Through marriage and winning wars.
(d) Through property ownership.
Short Answer Questions
1. What belief does Locke not challenge in the First Treatise?
2. What does Filmer call the relationship between a man and his parents?
3. When a person violates the state of liberty, what does Locke say must ensue?
4. What does Locke say he cannot find proof for in the First Treatise?
5. What does paternal authority imply?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)