|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Karen on page 133, what might have caused the inaccuracies in Sarah's book?
2. Where does Karen shoot Martin at the end of the second section of the novel?
3. Who was the first person Karen saw upon returning to CAPA as a senior?
4. According to Karen on page 163, who is the real Manuel?
5. Upon returning from London, where did Karen go?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Karen at the start of the second section of the novel, what is the truth regarding the friendship between Sarah and Karen?
2. What information does Karen reveal about her relationship with Martin when she was a teenager?
3. What does Karen ask Sarah to do following their meeting after Sarah's book signing? How does Sarah respond?
4. According to Karen, what did she do following her graduation from high school? What did Sarah do?
5. What is the "Brotherhood" Karen discusses on page 150? For what is this brotherhood responsible, in Karen's opinion?
6. What information does Sarah reveal on the night of the final play rehearsal? What is the effect of this news on David? What is the effect of this news on Karen?
7. According to Karen on page 201, how does David feel about Sarah's book? How does Karen herself feel about it? What information does Karen not tell Sarah?
8. Who sends Karen flowers on the opening night of Martin's play? What effect does this gift have on her?
9. What does Karen do on the opening night of Martin's play? Why does she do this?
10. Why did Karen return to her hometown? What information does she reveal about her relationship with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel all highlight the idea the past is never truly past. Choose three characters and explain how each illustrates this idea, using textual evidence to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Sarah finds herself involved in several conflicts during the first section of the novel. Choose one instance of internal conflict and one instance of external conflict, and explain how these conflicts have an impact on the story and the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Karen’s contradictory characteristics. In what ways is she a reliable narrator? In what ways is she unreliable?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)