|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Truman's ancestors related to the bushwhackers?
2. What did Truman refer to as "Potomac Fever?" .
3. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Roosevelt in 1943?
4. What was the Armistice?
5. In the eyes of the Truman Committee, what governmental department was the most to blame for bad planning?
Short Essay Questions
1. The title of this chapter is "Patriot". Why do you think the author chose this title?
2. Why did so many respected senators and congressional representatives oppose America's entry into the War with Germany?
3. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
4. Harry Truman left his home and his country to defend another country's border. He mentions that "we owe it to Lafayette" - what does this mean?
5. What experience does Truman bring to this Senate investigation? Outline specifically which jobs he held in the past that would contribute to his ability to lead this important committee.
6. Re-read the section on U.S. Steel's involvement in manufacturing and supplying the Navy with defective steel. What was their motivation for this deception? How did they rationalize it with the Truman Committee? In their opinion, was the action of the US Steel Company right or wrong?
7. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
8. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
9. Although Harry did not partake in sports or outdoor activities as other boys, no one ever called him a "sissy." Why do you think that was?
10. Read Part II of Chapter 5 again regarding Truman & Jacobson. Did the partners exercise good judgment in their selection of product, marketing and customers? Why do you think the store failed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were Americans, and southern Democrats in particular, so opposed to the inclusion of minorities in the rights of other Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Based upon what is reported in this novel regarding Japan's attitude towards surrender and the outcome of the war, would you have ordered the use of the atomic bomb?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)