|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
2. What event propelled the United States into WWII?
3. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
4. What was Harry Truman's first paid job?
5. What does Harry give as a reason to join the military and go to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Reading over the description of Independence, MO, beginning on Page 50, describe Truman's hometown as it relates to 1) economic viability, 2) founders and citizens, and 3) education.
2. Why was it important for Truman to spend so much time as a new President with the funeral of Roosevelt?
3. How did the atmosphere of defense contractor spending contribute to the Canol Project?
4. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
5. Tom Pedergast was considered a villain by some, and a Robin Hood by others. Why?
6. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
7. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
8. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
9. Why did the Kansas-Nebraska Act cause so much trouble in Missouri?
10. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Roosevelt made the choice of Vice President so difficult? Discuss the factors you believe led to this confusion, including Roosevelt's health, the structure of the Democratic party as it differs from today, and the tendency for Roosevelt to manipulate his team.
Essay Topic 2
From all accounts, Truman was an excellent soldier and fearless leader during WWI. What skills do you think he took with him from this experience that would make him a good President? Cover these points in your answer: 1) his personality, 2) his courage, 3) his abilities to make decisions, 4) giving him an international rather than a small town American perspective.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think it would have changed the Korean conflict and the world if MacArthur's recommendations to use atomic weapons on China had been followed?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)