Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November of 1930, something happened to Margaret Truman. What was it?
2. What was Roosevelt's continuing admonition to his departments regarding defense production in 1941?
3. What were the nicknames for the divisions in the Missouri Democratic Party?
4. Who did Truman choose to accompany him to meet the train bearing Roosevelt's body?
5. Why does the Truman family move to Kansas City? .
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
2. Truman's reputation as a fair but uncompromising leader is established during his chairmanship of the Truman Committee. Why?
3. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
4. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
5. Senator Truman's committee to investigate defense spending was timely and changed the way he was viewed by his colleagues and the public. Was that his purpose in proposing this committee? Why do you think he started this effort, and did he accomplish his goals?
6. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
7. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
8. Truman's job at the bank in Kansas City taught him about fiscal responsibility. How would this assist a potential president?
9. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
10. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
Truman's staff and administration changed when George Marshall was named as Secretary of State. List five reasons why this change happened.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Roosevelt made the choice of Vice President so difficult? Discuss the factors you believe led to this confusion, including Roosevelt's health, the structure of the Democratic party as it differs from today, and the tendency for Roosevelt to manipulate his team.
Essay Topic 3
From all accounts, Truman was an excellent soldier and fearless leader during WWI. What skills do you think he took with him from this experience that would make him a good President? Cover these points in your answer: 1) his personality, 2) his courage, 3) his abilities to make decisions, 4) giving him an international rather than a small town American perspective.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)