|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
2. What was the Armistice?
3. What was the attitude of the townspeople of Independence towards people of color?
4. What was General Order Number 11?
5. What did Truman think was a damaging move by Roosevelt?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Mormons were not welcome in Missouri, although immigrants from all other states were allowed to settle. What were the fundamental differences in the approach the Mormons took to settle, and why was this so difficult for Missouri people?
2. How did the atmosphere of defense contractor spending contribute to the Canol Project?
3. Compared to the Slaughter family farm, the Trumans were always broke. Why do you think this was so?
4. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
5. At one time, Truman had expressed a desire to attend West Point, but after his experience in war, he decided not to go. Why?
6. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
7. Read Part II of Chapter 5 again regarding Truman & Jacobson. Did the partners exercise good judgment in their selection of product, marketing and customers? Why do you think the store failed?
8. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
9. This chapter is entitled "The Senator from Pendergast" and not "The Senator from Missouri." Why?
10. What experience does Truman bring to this Senate investigation? Outline specifically which jobs he held in the past that would contribute to his ability to lead this important committee.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truman's staff and administration changed when George Marshall was named as Secretary of State. List five reasons why this change happened.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Truman Committee reinforce Truman's long-held belief that American large corporations are corrupt? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
From all accounts, Truman was an excellent soldier and fearless leader during WWI. What skills do you think he took with him from this experience that would make him a good President? Cover these points in your answer: 1) his personality, 2) his courage, 3) his abilities to make decisions, 4) giving him an international rather than a small town American perspective.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)