|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Roosevelt say were the Four Freedoms?
2. What epidemics decimated the families in Independence during the years of 1851-1854?
3. The Truman Committee saved the U.S. taxpayers a great deal of money. What is the estimated amount mentioned in the book?
4. What career did Margaret Truman plan to enter?
5. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Kansas-Nebraska Act cause so much trouble in Missouri?
2. Read Part II of Chapter 5 again regarding Truman & Jacobson. Did the partners exercise good judgment in their selection of product, marketing and customers? Why do you think the store failed?
3. Truman was up against several other individuals for the position of Vice President. Why do you think he was the best candidate? Cover personal integrity, ability to gain votes, political record & experience, and life experience.
4. Why did so many respected senators and congressional representatives oppose America's entry into the War with Germany?
5. Senator Truman's committee to investigate defense spending was timely and changed the way he was viewed by his colleagues and the public. Was that his purpose in proposing this committee? Why do you think he started this effort, and did he accomplish his goals?
6. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
7. What experience does Truman bring to this Senate investigation? Outline specifically which jobs he held in the past that would contribute to his ability to lead this important committee.
8. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
9. This chapter is entitled "The Senator from Pendergast" and not "The Senator from Missouri." Why?
10. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Truman wanted to wait to marry until he had income and a future, and Bess waited patiently for years. Why do you think these young people did not just get married and live with family until they could move out on their own?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the significant events in Truman's first term as Senator from Missouri, and cover the following points, using the facts, and then your opinion as to how this event affected Truman's policy, reputation and personal feelings.
1. Treatment of him by fellow Senators, especially the one from his own state
2. Bess choosing to stay away from Washington most of the time
3. Truman's loyalty to Roosevelt
4. Truman's loyalty to Pendergast
5. The official investigation of Pendergast
6. The difficulty of getting re-elected without his traditional means of support
Essay Topic 3
Truman and Roosevelt were men from completely different backgrounds and political experience. What specific obstacles did Truman have to overcome when assuming President Roosevelt's job that were caused by Roosevelt's attitude towards 1) world affairs, 2) the power of the presidency, and 3) sharing secrets with others outside his private circle.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)