|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who won WWI?
2. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
3. Which state turned the tide towards Truman at the convention?
4. What was Truman's attitude towards running for Vice President?
5. How did young Harry Truman like to occupy his time?
Short Essay Questions
1. The primary candidate, Roosevelt, did not appear at the Democratic convention in 1944, and his preference for Vice President was not clear. How did this affect those in charge of the Party at the convention?
2. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
3. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
4. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
5. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
6. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
7. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
8. Although Harry did not partake in sports or outdoor activities as other boys, no one ever called him a "sissy." Why do you think that was?
9. Reading over the description of Independence, MO, beginning on Page 50, describe Truman's hometown as it relates to 1) economic viability, 2) founders and citizens, and 3) education.
10. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once Truman was introduced to politics back in Independence, Missouri, he knew he had found his career. In your opinion, was Truman a good politician? Address these topics in your essay: 1) political connections, 2) political strategy, 3) political decisions
Essay Topic 2
Why were Americans, and southern Democrats in particular, so opposed to the inclusion of minorities in the rights of other Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Roosevelt made the choice of Vice President so difficult? Discuss the factors you believe led to this confusion, including Roosevelt's health, the structure of the Democratic party as it differs from today, and the tendency for Roosevelt to manipulate his team.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)