|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
2. What was Harry Truman's first paid job?
3. What type of company does Harry Truman fail in after the mine?
4. What pet name did Truman have for Bess?
5. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
2. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
3. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
4. Why did the Kansas-Nebraska Act cause so much trouble in Missouri?
5. At one time, Truman had expressed a desire to attend West Point, but after his experience in war, he decided not to go. Why?
6. This chapter is entitled "The Senator from Pendergast" and not "The Senator from Missouri." Why?
7. What experience does Truman bring to this Senate investigation? Outline specifically which jobs he held in the past that would contribute to his ability to lead this important committee.
8. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
9. The Mormons were not welcome in Missouri, although immigrants from all other states were allowed to settle. What were the fundamental differences in the approach the Mormons took to settle, and why was this so difficult for Missouri people?
10. Although Harry did not partake in sports or outdoor activities as other boys, no one ever called him a "sissy." Why do you think that was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapters 1 and 2 of the novel describe Truman's ancestors, Missouri, his religious upbringing, education, interests and friends. Pick one of these subjects and prepare a presentation in the format of your choosing as to: 1) The impact on Truman's presidency, 2) how this set him apart from other politicians of his era, and 3) how it affected his decision making as a president and a politician.
Essay Topic 2
Truman and Roosevelt were men from completely different backgrounds and political experience. What specific obstacles did Truman have to overcome when assuming President Roosevelt's job that were caused by Roosevelt's attitude towards 1) world affairs, 2) the power of the presidency, and 3) sharing secrets with others outside his private circle.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Roosevelt made the choice of Vice President so difficult? Discuss the factors you believe led to this confusion, including Roosevelt's health, the structure of the Democratic party as it differs from today, and the tendency for Roosevelt to manipulate his team.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)