|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
2. What was Roosevelt's continuing admonition to his departments regarding defense production in 1941?
3. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
4. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
5. What sort of equality did Truman support for Negroes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
2. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
3. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
4. Why do you think Truman was bored with any jobs other than politics?
5. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
6. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
7. The author entitled Chapter 8 "Numbered Days." Whose days are being referred to here?
8. Bess Wallace is considered "ideal" by Harry, and is well respected by the other children. What qualities does she display that make her ideal, and do you think she would be popular by today's standards?
9. Re-read the account of the committee's hearings with Irwin Works, a steel producing plant. What is your opinion of Truman's tactics in determining the truth?
10. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Truman's method of campaigning so successful?
Essay Topic 2
Truman's staff and administration changed when George Marshall was named as Secretary of State. List five reasons why this change happened.
Essay Topic 3
After the Soviet Union acquires the bomb, the author states "It was a different world now." What does he mean by that statement? Was it better for the world for one country alone to have the weapon? Was it better for the two most powerful countries to have the bomb? In your opinion, which countries should have atomic weapons?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)