|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
2. Who were Truman's lifelong heroes?
3. What was the beginning of the end for Tom Pendergast? .
4. What did Truman think was a damaging move by Roosevelt?
5. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
Short Essay Questions
1. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
2. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
3. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
4. Why did so many respected senators and congressional representatives oppose America's entry into the War with Germany?
5. Harry Truman left his home and his country to defend another country's border. He mentions that "we owe it to Lafayette" - what does this mean?
6. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
7. Compared to the Slaughter family farm, the Trumans were always broke. Why do you think this was so?
8. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
9. How did the atmosphere of defense contractor spending contribute to the Canol Project?
10. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once Truman was introduced to politics back in Independence, Missouri, he knew he had found his career. In your opinion, was Truman a good politician? Address these topics in your essay: 1) political connections, 2) political strategy, 3) political decisions
Essay Topic 2
From all accounts, Truman was an excellent soldier and fearless leader during WWI. What skills do you think he took with him from this experience that would make him a good President? Cover these points in your answer: 1) his personality, 2) his courage, 3) his abilities to make decisions, 4) giving him an international rather than a small town American perspective.
Essay Topic 3
The title of Chapter 17 is Final Days. How did Truman view his term as President, and what accomplishments do you think he was most proud of?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)