|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What epidemics decimated the families in Independence during the years of 1851-1854?
2. What was the beginning of the end for Tom Pendergast? .
3. How old was Harry Truman when he arrived in Washington D.C. to assume his duties as a Senator?
4. What pivotal event occurred on December 7, 1941?
5. Who was employed to work for Harry Truman, in his office, for a $2500 annual salary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Truman's reputation as a fair but uncompromising leader is established during his chairmanship of the Truman Committee. Why?
2. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
3. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
4. At one time, Truman had expressed a desire to attend West Point, but after his experience in war, he decided not to go. Why?
5. The title of this chapter is "Patriot". Why do you think the author chose this title?
6. Why did the Kansas-Nebraska Act cause so much trouble in Missouri?
7. Was Truman adequately prepared to assume the role of President? If you choose to answer no, detail what attributes or knowledge Truman needed to do a good job. If you choose to answer yes, outline what qualities or experience Truman had to prepare him for the job.
8. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
9. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
10. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Truman wanted to wait to marry until he had income and a future, and Bess waited patiently for years. Why do you think these young people did not just get married and live with family until they could move out on their own?
Essay Topic 2
The title of Chapter 17 is Final Days. How did Truman view his term as President, and what accomplishments do you think he was most proud of?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the significant events in Truman's first term as Senator from Missouri, and cover the following points, using the facts, and then your opinion as to how this event affected Truman's policy, reputation and personal feelings.
1. Treatment of him by fellow Senators, especially the one from his own state
2. Bess choosing to stay away from Washington most of the time
3. Truman's loyalty to Roosevelt
4. Truman's loyalty to Pendergast
5. The official investigation of Pendergast
6. The difficulty of getting re-elected without his traditional means of support
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)