|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two traits Truman especially disliked about his fellow politicians?
2. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
3. When Harry was nine, his family moved to Independence. He met a girl at Sunday School and fell in love that lasted his whole life. Who was this girl?
4. What is the name of the new organization of countries formed to keep the peace after the world war ends?
5. Why did Truman vote against the reappointment of District Attorney Milligan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In campaigning, Truman is not a skilled orator, but people remember him. Why?
2. The author entitled Chapter 8 "Numbered Days." Whose days are being referred to here?
3. Why did the Kansas-Nebraska Act cause so much trouble in Missouri?
4. Read Part II of Chapter 5 again regarding Truman & Jacobson. Did the partners exercise good judgment in their selection of product, marketing and customers? Why do you think the store failed?
5. At one time, Truman had expressed a desire to attend West Point, but after his experience in war, he decided not to go. Why?
6. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
7. Truman was up against several other individuals for the position of Vice President. Why do you think he was the best candidate? Cover personal integrity, ability to gain votes, political record & experience, and life experience.
8. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
9. Tom Pedergast was considered a villain by some, and a Robin Hood by others. Why?
10. What experience does Truman bring to this Senate investigation? Outline specifically which jobs he held in the past that would contribute to his ability to lead this important committee.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon what is reported in this novel regarding Japan's attitude towards surrender and the outcome of the war, would you have ordered the use of the atomic bomb?
Essay Topic 2
Truman and Roosevelt were men from completely different backgrounds and political experience. What specific obstacles did Truman have to overcome when assuming President Roosevelt's job that were caused by Roosevelt's attitude towards 1) world affairs, 2) the power of the presidency, and 3) sharing secrets with others outside his private circle.
Essay Topic 3
Why were Americans, and southern Democrats in particular, so opposed to the inclusion of minorities in the rights of other Americans?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)