|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
2. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Roosevelt in 1943?
3. Where did the Truman family live until the Roosevelt family departed the White House?
4. When Germany advances on Moscow, what does President Roosevelt offer Stalin?
5. Who was President of the USA during World War I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Reading over the description of Independence, MO, beginning on Page 50, describe Truman's hometown as it relates to 1) economic viability, 2) founders and citizens, and 3) education.
2. When Truman receives a summons to the White House on April 12, 1945, why did he run instead of walk? How is this sequence of events so different from what it would be in today's world?
3. Why do you think Truman was bored with any jobs other than politics?
4. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
5. Truman's job at the bank in Kansas City taught him about fiscal responsibility. How would this assist a potential president?
6. Tom Pedergast was considered a villain by some, and a Robin Hood by others. Why?
7. Read Part II of Chapter 5 again regarding Truman & Jacobson. Did the partners exercise good judgment in their selection of product, marketing and customers? Why do you think the store failed?
8. This chapter is entitled "The Senator from Pendergast" and not "The Senator from Missouri." Why?
9. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
10. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the Soviet Union acquires the bomb, the author states "It was a different world now." What does he mean by that statement? Was it better for the world for one country alone to have the weapon? Was it better for the two most powerful countries to have the bomb? In your opinion, which countries should have atomic weapons?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the presidency of Truman with that of Roosevelt, Lincoln and Jackson, with regard to challenges during term, character, decision making abilities, and family values.
Essay Topic 3
From all accounts, Truman was an excellent soldier and fearless leader during WWI. What skills do you think he took with him from this experience that would make him a good President? Cover these points in your answer: 1) his personality, 2) his courage, 3) his abilities to make decisions, 4) giving him an international rather than a small town American perspective.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)