|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his letters to Bess, what part of Truman's command duties did he dislike the most?
2. What does Harry give as a reason to join the military and go to war?
3. What type of company does Harry Truman fail in after the mine?
4. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
5. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
Short Essay Questions
1. Harry Truman left his home and his country to defend another country's border. He mentions that "we owe it to Lafayette" - what does this mean?
2. Reading over the description of Independence, MO, beginning on Page 50, describe Truman's hometown as it relates to 1) economic viability, 2) founders and citizens, and 3) education.
3. What experience does Truman bring to this Senate investigation? Outline specifically which jobs he held in the past that would contribute to his ability to lead this important committee.
4. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
5. Why did the Kansas-Nebraska Act cause so much trouble in Missouri?
6. When Truman receives a summons to the White House on April 12, 1945, why did he run instead of walk? How is this sequence of events so different from what it would be in today's world?
7. Read Part II of Chapter 5 again regarding Truman & Jacobson. Did the partners exercise good judgment in their selection of product, marketing and customers? Why do you think the store failed?
8. Tom Pedergast was considered a villain by some, and a Robin Hood by others. Why?
9. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
10. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truman and Roosevelt were men from completely different backgrounds and political experience. What specific obstacles did Truman have to overcome when assuming President Roosevelt's job that were caused by Roosevelt's attitude towards 1) world affairs, 2) the power of the presidency, and 3) sharing secrets with others outside his private circle.
Essay Topic 2
Chapters 1 and 2 of the novel describe Truman's ancestors, Missouri, his religious upbringing, education, interests and friends. Pick one of these subjects and prepare a presentation in the format of your choosing as to: 1) The impact on Truman's presidency, 2) how this set him apart from other politicians of his era, and 3) how it affected his decision making as a president and a politician.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Roosevelt made the choice of Vice President so difficult? Discuss the factors you believe led to this confusion, including Roosevelt's health, the structure of the Democratic party as it differs from today, and the tendency for Roosevelt to manipulate his team.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)