|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Roosevelt want as his Vice President?
2. What political party did Harry, his father, and most of the adults in Independence belong to?
3. How did Truman's men move their equipment around France?
4. What was Harry Truman's first paid job?
5. What was the name of Roosevelt's beloved dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
2. Re-read the section on U.S. Steel's involvement in manufacturing and supplying the Navy with defective steel. What was their motivation for this deception? How did they rationalize it with the Truman Committee? In their opinion, was the action of the US Steel Company right or wrong?
3. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
4. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
5. Why did so many respected senators and congressional representatives oppose America's entry into the War with Germany?
6. At one time, Truman had expressed a desire to attend West Point, but after his experience in war, he decided not to go. Why?
7. Bess Wallace is considered "ideal" by Harry, and is well respected by the other children. What qualities does she display that make her ideal, and do you think she would be popular by today's standards?
8. How did the atmosphere of defense contractor spending contribute to the Canol Project?
9. The title of this chapter is "Patriot". Why do you think the author chose this title?
10. Reading over the description of Independence, MO, beginning on Page 50, describe Truman's hometown as it relates to 1) economic viability, 2) founders and citizens, and 3) education.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think it would have changed the Korean conflict and the world if MacArthur's recommendations to use atomic weapons on China had been followed?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Truman's method of campaigning so successful?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Truman Committee reinforce Truman's long-held belief that American large corporations are corrupt? Give specific examples.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)