|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which state turned the tide towards Truman at the convention?
2. Truman's foreign office is warning him about the after war dangers of which country?
3. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
4. What was General Order Number 11?
5. Harry Truman's ancestors were predominantly of what heritage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Truman's approach to the press so different from Roosevelt's?
2. Truman's reputation as a fair but uncompromising leader is established during his chairmanship of the Truman Committee. Why?
3. Although Harry did not partake in sports or outdoor activities as other boys, no one ever called him a "sissy." Why do you think that was?
4. Harry Truman left his home and his country to defend another country's border. He mentions that "we owe it to Lafayette" - what does this mean?
5. Tom Pedergast was considered a villain by some, and a Robin Hood by others. Why?
6. When Truman receives a summons to the White House on April 12, 1945, why did he run instead of walk? How is this sequence of events so different from what it would be in today's world?
7. The primary candidate, Roosevelt, did not appear at the Democratic convention in 1944, and his preference for Vice President was not clear. How did this affect those in charge of the Party at the convention?
8. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
9. Re-read the account of the committee's hearings with Irwin Works, a steel producing plant. What is your opinion of Truman's tactics in determining the truth?
10. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think it would have changed the Korean conflict and the world if MacArthur's recommendations to use atomic weapons on China had been followed?
Essay Topic 2
The title of Chapter 17 is Final Days. How did Truman view his term as President, and what accomplishments do you think he was most proud of?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Roosevelt made the choice of Vice President so difficult? Discuss the factors you believe led to this confusion, including Roosevelt's health, the structure of the Democratic party as it differs from today, and the tendency for Roosevelt to manipulate his team.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)