|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event propelled the United States into WWII?
2. How long was Truman & Jacobson in business?
3. Where was Harry S Truman born?
4. What was an overriding concern for Truman in his early years as a Senator in Washington?
5. How old was Harry Truman when he arrived in Washington D.C. to assume his duties as a Senator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Re-read the section on U.S. Steel's involvement in manufacturing and supplying the Navy with defective steel. What was their motivation for this deception? How did they rationalize it with the Truman Committee? In their opinion, was the action of the US Steel Company right or wrong?
2. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
3. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
4. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
5. When Truman receives a summons to the White House on April 12, 1945, why did he run instead of walk? How is this sequence of events so different from what it would be in today's world?
6. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
7. How did the atmosphere of defense contractor spending contribute to the Canol Project?
8. The title of this chapter is "Patriot". Why do you think the author chose this title?
9. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
10. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
Essay Topic 1
How does the Truman Committee reinforce Truman's long-held belief that American large corporations are corrupt? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
How did the traits and stories of Harry Truman's ancestors influence his life? Describe the attributes of two of the following people described in Part 1, Chapter 1: Solomon Young, Harriet Louisa Young, Andy Truman, Nancy Tyler Holmes, Uncle Harrison, Mattie Young.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)