|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country chose not to participate in the Marshall Plan and thereby caused several more countries in that bloc to pull out?
(a) Soviet Union
2. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
(a) Biological warfare
(b) Atom bomb
(d) Heavy tanks
3. How much did the White House renovation cost?
(b) Nothing - all work was donated
(c) 5.8 million dollars
(d) 1 million dollars
4. Who were "The Big Three" of the Potsdam conference?
(a) Truman, DeGaulle and Patton
(b) Truman, Churchill and Stalin
(c) Gorbachev, Bush and Truman
(d) Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin
5. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
(a) The 41st parallel
(b) The Yang River
(c) The Alps
(d) 38th Parallel
6. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
(a) Adlai Stevenson
(b) Jefferson Davis
(c) Strom Thurmond
(d) Henry Wallace
7. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
8. Who do Truman's supporters and staff encourage him to fire as a result of Fulbright's Senate committee report?
(a) Bill Boyle, Democratic National Chairman
(b) George Patton
(c) General MacArthur
(d) George Marshall
9. Who did Truman choose to replace Marshall as his Secretary of State?
(a) Dean Rusk
(b) Charlie Ross
(c) George Marshall's son
(d) Dean Acheson
10. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
(a) To have a method of channeling funding to the project
(b) To prevent spies from access to the secrets
(c) To make Truman look good
(d) To provide civilian, not military, control of this new awesome power
11. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(a) Computer Science
(d) Lab Technician
12. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
(a) The Postal Strike
(b) The Actors Guild Strike
(c) The Railroad Strike
(d) The Steel Strike
13. How much monthly income did Truman have after leaving the office of president?
(a) $10,000 per month
(d) $112.56 per month
14. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
(a) New Mexico
(b) Washington DC
(d) Wake Island
15. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
(a) First presidential address to be printed in the newspaper
(b) First Jewish president
(c) First presidential address to be broadcast on TV
(d) First president to ride in an automobile
Short Answer Questions
1. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
2. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
3. How old was Truman when he passed away?
4. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
5. During Churchill's speech in Missouri, as a guest of Truman, what term does Churchill use to describe the Soviet Union presence that became a common term?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)