|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who in the government has the final say regarding military matters?
(a) The President
(b) Secretary of State
(c) The Vice President
(d) Supreme Commander of the Forces
2. Who is Truman's first choice for his replacement as President?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower
(b) Joe McCarthy
(c) Strom Thurmand
(d) Henry Wallace
3. What happens to the White House during Truman's second term?
(a) It is completely renovated
(b) It is attacked by the British
(c) It burns down
(d) An airplane crashes into it
4. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
(a) Pinko was an affectionate name Harry gave Bess
(b) It is a shortened version ofthe term pinkolator which was a brand of coffee maker
(c) When a difference was pointed out between a red Communist and a lesser dedicated Communist, a pink one.
(d) Pinko referred to men who wore women's clothes
5. Why doesn't the military deploy more divisions in North Korea?
(a) The Allies won't allow it
(b) MacArthur refuses to allow it
(c) Truman does not think it is necessary
(d) Without depleting the European military presence, there are no more divisions.
6. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
(a) To provide civilian, not military, control of this new awesome power
(b) To have a method of channeling funding to the project
(c) To prevent spies from access to the secrets
(d) To make Truman look good
7. What famous landmark did Churchill visit when in Berlin?
(a) Arc de Triumph
(b) Hitler's Bunker
(c) St Paul's Cathedral
(d) Berlin HIlton
8. During Churchill's speech in Missouri, as a guest of Truman, what term does Churchill use to describe the Soviet Union presence that became a common term?
(a) Berlin Wall
(b) Iron Curtain
(d) Axis of Evil
9. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) Jim Pendergast
(c) Jimmy Byrnes
(d) No one
10. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
11. Which country was able to assemble an atomic bomb after the USA?
(b) Soviet Union
12. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They disliked him intensely
(b) They feared him
(c) They admired and respected him
(d) They thought he was boring
13. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
(a) His father
(b) His mother
(c) His daughter
(d) His wife
14. What was the name of President Truman's custom built railway car?
(a) The Titanic
(b) The Ferdinand Magellan
(c) Pullman Car #3457113
(d) The George Washington
15. What industry does Truman attempt to turn over to government control in April of 1952?
(b) Steel mills
(d) Ship Building
Short Answer Questions
1. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
2. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
3. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
4. Who does Truman develop a long correspondence with after his retirement?
5. Who did Truman choose to replace Marshall as his Secretary of State?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)