|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
(a) Jim Pendergast
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) Jimmy Byrnes
(d) No one
2. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
(a) To have a method of channeling funding to the project
(b) To make Truman look good
(c) To provide civilian, not military, control of this new awesome power
(d) To prevent spies from access to the secrets
3. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(b) Lab Technician
(c) Computer Science
4. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
(a) A reporter had published a comment he thought was off record
(b) A reporter was stalking Margaret
(c) His Sunday paper did not arrive on time
(d) A columnist had given Margaret's concert a bad review
5. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
(a) Robert E. Lee
(b) Harold Ickes
(c) Henry Wallace
(d) Andrew Jackson
6. What happens to Margaret after her father finishes her Presidential terms?
(a) She dies in an automobile accident
(b) She is kidnapped
(c) She marries and has four sons.
(d) She joins the Peace Corps
7. Who were "The Big Three" of the Potsdam conference?
(a) Truman, DeGaulle and Patton
(b) Gorbachev, Bush and Truman
(c) Truman, Churchill and Stalin
(d) Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin
8. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
(a) Truman library
(b) The family home of Bess Truman
(c) Wtih Margaret and her husband
(d) Truman farm
9. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
(a) Jefferson Davis
(b) Adlai Stevenson
(c) Henry Wallace
(d) Strom Thurmond
10. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
(b) New Mexico
(c) Wake Island
(d) Washington DC
11. What famous landmark did Churchill visit when in Berlin?
(a) Berlin HIlton
(b) St Paul's Cathedral
(c) Arc de Triumph
(d) Hitler's Bunker
12. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
(a) To evacuate all troops from Korea
(b) To proceed into North Korea.
(c) To proceed into China
(d) To hold the line there
13. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
(a) Air Force
(b) Federal Bureau of Investigation
(c) Central Intelligence Agency
(d) Committee to Re-Elect the President
14. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
(a) The Alps
(b) The 41st parallel
(c) 38th Parallel
(d) The Yang River
15. Which country was able to assemble an atomic bomb after the USA?
(a) Soviet Union
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
2. Which country chose not to participate in the Marshall Plan and thereby caused several more countries in that bloc to pull out?
3. What was the name of President Truman's custom built railway car?
4. Who does Truman develop a long correspondence with after his retirement?
5. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)