|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
(a) First Jewish president
(b) First president to ride in an automobile
(c) First presidential address to be printed in the newspaper
(d) First presidential address to be broadcast on TV
2. What happens to the White House during Truman's second term?
(a) It is completely renovated
(b) An airplane crashes into it
(c) It burns down
(d) It is attacked by the British
3. At the end of the war, how many service men and women were coming back to the American work force?
(a) 12 million
(b) 1 million
(c) None - they all re-enlisted
(d) 10 million
4. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
(a) His daughter
(b) His wife
(c) His father
(d) His mother
5. During Churchill's speech in Missouri, as a guest of Truman, what term does Churchill use to describe the Soviet Union presence that became a common term?
(b) Iron Curtain
(c) Berlin Wall
(d) Axis of Evil
6. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
(a) To proceed into China
(b) To proceed into North Korea.
(c) To hold the line there
(d) To evacuate all troops from Korea
7. How many months had Truman been President before both Germany and Japan surrendered?
8. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
(a) Two million
9. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
(a) Truman library
(b) Wtih Margaret and her husband
(c) Truman farm
(d) The family home of Bess Truman
10. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
(a) Hitler's plan for domination
(b) The Germany of 1937
(c) The conquered lands of Germany
(d) Magellan's original docments
11. Who in the government has the final say regarding military matters?
(a) Secretary of State
(b) Supreme Commander of the Forces
(c) The President
(d) The Vice President
12. What was a whistle-stop?
(a) Term used to describe Truman's style of campaigning by stopping his Presidential train in every small town along the way so he could meet the American people.
(b) The term used to call for a taxi while standing on the sidewalk
(c) A method used to veto a bill
(d) A street corner
13. Where was the American's atom bomb tested?
(a) Washington DC
(c) Bikini Atoll
(d) New Mexico
14. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
(a) Pinko was an affectionate name Harry gave Bess
(b) Pinko referred to men who wore women's clothes
(c) It is a shortened version ofthe term pinkolator which was a brand of coffee maker
(d) When a difference was pointed out between a red Communist and a lesser dedicated Communist, a pink one.
15. What major country turned Communist during Truman's second Presidency?
(d) South Africa
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Truman when he passed away?
2. Who does Truman develop a long correspondence with after his retirement?
3. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
4. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
5. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)