|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
(a) Charlie Ross
(b) George Marshall
(c) Jimmy Brynes
(d) Henry Wallace
2. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
(a) Wtih Margaret and her husband
(b) Truman library
(c) Truman farm
(d) The family home of Bess Truman
3. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
(a) A reporter was stalking Margaret
(b) His Sunday paper did not arrive on time
(c) A reporter had published a comment he thought was off record
(d) A columnist had given Margaret's concert a bad review
4. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
(a) Listening to baseball games on the radio
(b) Watching football on televsion
(c) Dinners and musical entertainment
(d) Dancing with the town women
5. Who were "The Big Three" of the Potsdam conference?
(a) Gorbachev, Bush and Truman
(b) Truman, DeGaulle and Patton
(c) Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin
(d) Truman, Churchill and Stalin
6. What happens to Margaret after her father finishes her Presidential terms?
(a) She joins the Peace Corps
(b) She is kidnapped
(c) She dies in an automobile accident
(d) She marries and has four sons.
7. What is Adlai Stevenson's position when he runs for President?
(a) Secretary of War
(b) Private Citizen
(c) Senator from New Mexico
(d) Governor of Illinois
8. What was Barkley's "prop-stop" campaign?
(a) Barkley's habit of propping himself against a bar to deliver speeches
(b) The propellor pin he wore on his suit lapel during the campaign
(c) It refers to the time in his campaign when his plane's propellor fell off
(d) A trip the VP candidate took by airplane that was similar to the railway tour the President was making.
9. How old was Truman when he passed away?
10. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
(a) Atom bomb
(c) Biological warfare
(d) Heavy tanks
11. Who does Truman develop a long correspondence with after his retirement?
(a) His mother
(b) Andrew Jackson
(c) Dean Acheson
(d) Dwight Eisenhower
12. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(b) Computer Science
(d) Lab Technician
13. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
(a) Hitler's plan for domination
(b) The Germany of 1937
(c) The conquered lands of Germany
(d) Magellan's original docments
14. What condition of the White House was hidden from the Press until after the election?
(a) The second floor was falling into the first floor.
(b) Fine condition, no need of repair
(c) The portico had fallen on the presidential limo
(d) The elevator was no longer working
15. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
(a) Soviet Union
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the American's atom bomb tested?
2. During Churchill's speech in Missouri, as a guest of Truman, what term does Churchill use to describe the Soviet Union presence that became a common term?
3. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
4. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
5. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)