|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Turnip Congress?
(a) A session of congress where only bills concerning turnips were discussed
(b) A special committee that turned up important information
(c) The special congressional session called by Truman during the time of Missouri's Turnip Day
(d) A session of congress where dissidents threw turnips at the congressmen
2. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
(a) His Presidential Library and his memoirs
(b) Buidling a fence around the farm and his wardrobe
(c) Climbing mountains and visiting friends
(d) Presidential Library and forming the NAACP
3. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
(a) Charlie Ross
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) George Marshall
(d) Jimmy Brynes
4. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
(a) Wtih Margaret and her husband
(b) Truman library
(c) The family home of Bess Truman
(d) Truman farm
5. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
(a) His staff collected all the papers and held them until he arrived home
(b) The vice president handled everything
(c) It continued as before from Truman's desk on the train
(d) Bess took care of it
6. What famous landmark did Churchill visit when in Berlin?
(a) St Paul's Cathedral
(b) Hitler's Bunker
(c) Berlin HIlton
(d) Arc de Triumph
7. What was Truman's primary goal of the Potsdam Conference?
(a) To find an excuse to use the atom bomb
(b) To see Europe for free
(c) To get Stalin to commit to entering the war against Japan
(d) To tell the other countries about the atom bomb
8. What industry does Truman attempt to turn over to government control in April of 1952?
(a) Ship Building
(b) Steel mills
9. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
(a) His father
(b) His mother
(c) His daughter
(d) His wife
10. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
(a) Washington DC
(b) New Mexico
(c) Wake Island
11. What was a Dixiecrat?
(a) A politician who whistles Dixie
(b) A politician who endorsed the NAACP
(c) Members of the southern Democratic party who withdrew from the Truman's Democratic Party because of his stand on Civil Rights.
(d) A type of paper cup
12. Which country chose not to participate in the Marshall Plan and thereby caused several more countries in that bloc to pull out?
(d) Soviet Union
13. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
(d) Soviet Union
14. Why doesn't the military deploy more divisions in North Korea?
(a) Without depleting the European military presence, there are no more divisions.
(b) Truman does not think it is necessary
(c) MacArthur refuses to allow it
(d) The Allies won't allow it
15. How did the three world leaders enter the conference room in Potsdam?
(a) They were all on teleconference and did not use the doors
(b) By three separate doors
(c) Through the kitchen door
(d) Through the main door
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the leader of the Progressive Party who was in competition with the Democrats and Republicans in the 1948 election?
2. At the end of the war, how many service men and women were coming back to the American work force?
3. Who is Truman's first choice for his replacement as President?
4. How old was Truman when he passed away?
5. Where was the American's atom bomb tested?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)