|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
(a) His Sunday paper did not arrive on time
(b) A reporter had published a comment he thought was off record
(c) A reporter was stalking Margaret
(d) A columnist had given Margaret's concert a bad review
2. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
(b) Heavy tanks
(c) Biological warfare
(d) Atom bomb
3. Why doesn't the military deploy more divisions in North Korea?
(a) Without depleting the European military presence, there are no more divisions.
(b) Truman does not think it is necessary
(c) The Allies won't allow it
(d) MacArthur refuses to allow it
4. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
(a) Buidling a fence around the farm and his wardrobe
(b) Presidential Library and forming the NAACP
(c) His Presidential Library and his memoirs
(d) Climbing mountains and visiting friends
5. What happens to the White House during Truman's second term?
(a) An airplane crashes into it
(b) It is completely renovated
(c) It is attacked by the British
(d) It burns down
6. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
(d) Two million
7. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
(a) Harold Ickes
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) Robert E. Lee
(d) Andrew Jackson
8. At the end of the war, how many service men and women were coming back to the American work force?
(a) None - they all re-enlisted
(b) 10 million
(c) 1 million
(d) 12 million
9. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
(a) Pinko was an affectionate name Harry gave Bess
(b) It is a shortened version ofthe term pinkolator which was a brand of coffee maker
(c) Pinko referred to men who wore women's clothes
(d) When a difference was pointed out between a red Communist and a lesser dedicated Communist, a pink one.
10. Who is Truman's first choice for his replacement as President?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) Joe McCarthy
(c) Strom Thurmand
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower
11. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
(a) First presidential address to be broadcast on TV
(b) First Jewish president
(c) First president to ride in an automobile
(d) First presidential address to be printed in the newspaper
12. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
(a) Truman library
(b) The family home of Bess Truman
(c) Truman farm
(d) Wtih Margaret and her husband
13. How much did the White House renovation cost?
(a) 5.8 million dollars
(b) Nothing - all work was donated
(d) 1 million dollars
14. What happens to Margaret after her father finishes her Presidential terms?
(a) She marries and has four sons.
(b) She dies in an automobile accident
(c) She joins the Peace Corps
(d) She is kidnapped
15. Who did Truman choose to replace Marshall as his Secretary of State?
(a) Charlie Ross
(b) Dean Acheson
(c) George Marshall's son
(d) Dean Rusk
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of Truman's long time friends was most instrumental in advising him regarding the Palestine problem?
2. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
3. Who in the government has the final say regarding military matters?
4. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
5. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)