|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the military deploy more divisions in North Korea?
(a) The Allies won't allow it
(b) MacArthur refuses to allow it
(c) Without depleting the European military presence, there are no more divisions.
(d) Truman does not think it is necessary
2. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
(a) His sister and mother
(b) Bess and Margaret
(c) His mother and father
(d) His brother and his brother's wife and sons
3. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They feared him
(b) They admired and respected him
(c) They disliked him intensely
(d) They thought he was boring
4. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
(a) First Jewish president
(b) First presidential address to be broadcast on TV
(c) First presidential address to be printed in the newspaper
(d) First president to ride in an automobile
5. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
(a) To evacuate all troops from Korea
(b) To proceed into North Korea.
(c) To proceed into China
(d) To hold the line there
6. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
7. What happens to the White House during Truman's second term?
(a) An airplane crashes into it
(b) It is attacked by the British
(c) It burns down
(d) It is completely renovated
8. What was a Dixiecrat?
(a) A politician who endorsed the NAACP
(b) Members of the southern Democratic party who withdrew from the Truman's Democratic Party because of his stand on Civil Rights.
(c) A type of paper cup
(d) A politician who whistles Dixie
9. What was the Turnip Congress?
(a) A special committee that turned up important information
(b) The special congressional session called by Truman during the time of Missouri's Turnip Day
(c) A session of congress where dissidents threw turnips at the congressmen
(d) A session of congress where only bills concerning turnips were discussed
10. Who of Truman's long time friends was most instrumental in advising him regarding the Palestine problem?
(a) George Marshall
(b) Eddie Jacobson
(c) Jim Pendergast
(d) Charlie Ross
11. Which country was able to assemble an atomic bomb after the USA?
(d) Soviet Union
12. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
(a) His daughter
(b) His wife
(c) His mother
(d) His father
13. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
(a) The 41st parallel
(b) 38th Parallel
(c) The Alps
(d) The Yang River
14. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
(a) To have a method of channeling funding to the project
(b) To prevent spies from access to the secrets
(c) To provide civilian, not military, control of this new awesome power
(d) To make Truman look good
15. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
(a) Truman farm
(b) Wtih Margaret and her husband
(c) Truman library
(d) The family home of Bess Truman
Short Answer Questions
1. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
2. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
3. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
4. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
5. In what country was Potsdam located?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)