|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
(a) To prevent spies from access to the secrets
(b) To provide civilian, not military, control of this new awesome power
(c) To have a method of channeling funding to the project
(d) To make Truman look good
2. Who of Truman's long time friends was most instrumental in advising him regarding the Palestine problem?
(a) Charlie Ross
(b) Jim Pendergast
(c) George Marshall
(d) Eddie Jacobson
3. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
(a) The Steel Strike
(b) The Postal Strike
(c) The Railroad Strike
(d) The Actors Guild Strike
4. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
5. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
(a) The 41st parallel
(b) The Yang River
(c) 38th Parallel
(d) The Alps
6. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
(a) Federal Bureau of Investigation
(b) Central Intelligence Agency
(c) Committee to Re-Elect the President
(d) Air Force
7. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
(a) The conquered lands of Germany
(b) The Germany of 1937
(c) Magellan's original docments
(d) Hitler's plan for domination
8. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
(c) Two million
9. Who do Truman's supporters and staff encourage him to fire as a result of Fulbright's Senate committee report?
(a) George Marshall
(b) General MacArthur
(c) George Patton
(d) Bill Boyle, Democratic National Chairman
10. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
(a) His Sunday paper did not arrive on time
(b) A columnist had given Margaret's concert a bad review
(c) A reporter was stalking Margaret
(d) A reporter had published a comment he thought was off record
11. What was a Dixiecrat?
(a) A type of paper cup
(b) A politician who whistles Dixie
(c) A politician who endorsed the NAACP
(d) Members of the southern Democratic party who withdrew from the Truman's Democratic Party because of his stand on Civil Rights.
12. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
(a) Robert E. Lee
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) Harold Ickes
(d) Andrew Jackson
13. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
(d) Two million
14. What happens to Margaret after her father finishes her Presidential terms?
(a) She dies in an automobile accident
(b) She marries and has four sons.
(c) She is kidnapped
(d) She joins the Peace Corps
15. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
(a) To proceed into China
(b) To proceed into North Korea.
(c) To evacuate all troops from Korea
(d) To hold the line there
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country was Potsdam located?
2. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
3. Who did Truman choose to replace Marshall as his Secretary of State?
4. What industry does Truman attempt to turn over to government control in April of 1952?
5. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)