|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They feared him
(b) They thought he was boring
(c) They disliked him intensely
(d) They admired and respected him
2. How much did the White House renovation cost?
(a) 1 million dollars
(b) 5.8 million dollars
(d) Nothing - all work was donated
3. How did the three world leaders enter the conference room in Potsdam?
(a) Through the main door
(b) By three separate doors
(c) Through the kitchen door
(d) They were all on teleconference and did not use the doors
4. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
(a) His daughter
(b) His father
(c) His wife
(d) His mother
5. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
(a) The Actors Guild Strike
(b) The Postal Strike
(c) The Railroad Strike
(d) The Steel Strike
6. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
(a) Washington DC
(b) New Mexico
(c) Wake Island
7. Who is Truman's first choice for his replacement as President?
(a) Strom Thurmand
(b) Joe McCarthy
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower
(d) Henry Wallace
8. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
(a) Jim Pendergast
(b) Jimmy Byrnes
(c) Henry Wallace
(d) No one
9. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
(a) Dancing with the town women
(b) Watching football on televsion
(c) Dinners and musical entertainment
(d) Listening to baseball games on the radio
10. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
(a) A columnist had given Margaret's concert a bad review
(b) A reporter had published a comment he thought was off record
(c) A reporter was stalking Margaret
(d) His Sunday paper did not arrive on time
11. What was Barkley's "prop-stop" campaign?
(a) Barkley's habit of propping himself against a bar to deliver speeches
(b) It refers to the time in his campaign when his plane's propellor fell off
(c) The propellor pin he wore on his suit lapel during the campaign
(d) A trip the VP candidate took by airplane that was similar to the railway tour the President was making.
12. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
(c) Soviet Union
13. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
(a) The conquered lands of Germany
(b) Magellan's original docments
(c) Hitler's plan for domination
(d) The Germany of 1937
14. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
(a) To evacuate all troops from Korea
(b) To proceed into China
(c) To proceed into North Korea.
(d) To hold the line there
15. What was the Turnip Congress?
(a) A special committee that turned up important information
(b) The special congressional session called by Truman during the time of Missouri's Turnip Day
(c) A session of congress where only bills concerning turnips were discussed
(d) A session of congress where dissidents threw turnips at the congressmen
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of Truman's long time friends was most instrumental in advising him regarding the Palestine problem?
2. Who does Truman develop a long correspondence with after his retirement?
3. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
4. What happens to Margaret after her father finishes her Presidential terms?
5. In what country was Potsdam located?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)