|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
(a) His sister and mother
(b) His brother and his brother's wife and sons
(c) Bess and Margaret
(d) His mother and father
2. What was Barkley's "prop-stop" campaign?
(a) A trip the VP candidate took by airplane that was similar to the railway tour the President was making.
(b) It refers to the time in his campaign when his plane's propellor fell off
(c) The propellor pin he wore on his suit lapel during the campaign
(d) Barkley's habit of propping himself against a bar to deliver speeches
3. What was a Dixiecrat?
(a) A politician who whistles Dixie
(b) Members of the southern Democratic party who withdrew from the Truman's Democratic Party because of his stand on Civil Rights.
(c) A type of paper cup
(d) A politician who endorsed the NAACP
4. What was Truman's primary goal of the Potsdam Conference?
(a) To get Stalin to commit to entering the war against Japan
(b) To tell the other countries about the atom bomb
(c) To find an excuse to use the atom bomb
(d) To see Europe for free
5. How old was Truman when he passed away?
6. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
(a) Committee to Re-Elect the President
(b) Central Intelligence Agency
(c) Federal Bureau of Investigation
(d) Air Force
7. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
(b) Soviet Union
8. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) Jim Pendergast
(c) Jimmy Byrnes
(d) No one
9. What is Adlai Stevenson's position when he runs for President?
(a) Private Citizen
(b) Secretary of War
(c) Governor of Illinois
(d) Senator from New Mexico
10. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They admired and respected him
(b) They disliked him intensely
(c) They thought he was boring
(d) They feared him
11. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
(a) New Mexico
(b) Washington DC
(d) Wake Island
12. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
(a) A reporter had published a comment he thought was off record
(b) A columnist had given Margaret's concert a bad review
(c) His Sunday paper did not arrive on time
(d) A reporter was stalking Margaret
13. What industry does Truman attempt to turn over to government control in April of 1952?
(b) Ship Building
(c) Steel mills
14. Who of Truman's long time friends was most instrumental in advising him regarding the Palestine problem?
(a) Eddie Jacobson
(b) George Marshall
(c) Jim Pendergast
(d) Charlie Ross
15. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
(d) Two million
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
2. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
3. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
4. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
5. During Churchill's speech in Missouri, as a guest of Truman, what term does Churchill use to describe the Soviet Union presence that became a common term?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)