|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
(a) Federal Bureau of Investigation
(b) Air Force
(c) Central Intelligence Agency
(d) Committee to Re-Elect the President
2. Who were "The Big Three" of the Potsdam conference?
(a) Truman, DeGaulle and Patton
(b) Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin
(c) Truman, Churchill and Stalin
(d) Gorbachev, Bush and Truman
3. What was the name of President Truman's custom built railway car?
(a) The Ferdinand Magellan
(b) The George Washington
(c) Pullman Car #3457113
(d) The Titanic
4. Who do Truman's supporters and staff encourage him to fire as a result of Fulbright's Senate committee report?
(a) George Marshall
(b) George Patton
(c) General MacArthur
(d) Bill Boyle, Democratic National Chairman
5. Who in the government has the final say regarding military matters?
(a) Supreme Commander of the Forces
(b) Secretary of State
(c) The President
(d) The Vice President
6. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
(a) The Railroad Strike
(b) The Steel Strike
(c) The Actors Guild Strike
(d) The Postal Strike
7. In what country was Potsdam located?
8. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
(a) Listening to baseball games on the radio
(b) Dinners and musical entertainment
(c) Watching football on televsion
(d) Dancing with the town women
9. Which country was able to assemble an atomic bomb after the USA?
(c) Soviet Union
10. How much did the White House renovation cost?
(a) 1 million dollars
(b) Nothing - all work was donated
(c) 5.8 million dollars
11. What happens to Margaret after her father finishes her Presidential terms?
(a) She dies in an automobile accident
(b) She is kidnapped
(c) She marries and has four sons.
(d) She joins the Peace Corps
12. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
(d) Two million
13. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They feared him
(b) They thought he was boring
(c) They disliked him intensely
(d) They admired and respected him
14. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
(a) His Sunday paper did not arrive on time
(b) A reporter was stalking Margaret
(c) A columnist had given Margaret's concert a bad review
(d) A reporter had published a comment he thought was off record
15. How many months had Truman been President before both Germany and Japan surrendered?
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous landmark did Churchill visit when in Berlin?
2. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
3. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
4. What was a Dixiecrat?
5. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)