|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
(c) Two million
2. What condition of the White House was hidden from the Press until after the election?
(a) The elevator was no longer working
(b) The portico had fallen on the presidential limo
(c) The second floor was falling into the first floor.
(d) Fine condition, no need of repair
3. What is Adlai Stevenson's position when he runs for President?
(a) Secretary of War
(b) Private Citizen
(c) Senator from New Mexico
(d) Governor of Illinois
4. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
(a) The Railroad Strike
(b) The Actors Guild Strike
(c) The Postal Strike
(d) The Steel Strike
5. How much monthly income did Truman have after leaving the office of president?
(a) $10,000 per month
(b) $112.56 per month
6. What major country turned Communist during Truman's second Presidency?
(c) South Africa
7. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
(a) Jimmy Byrnes
(b) No one
(c) Henry Wallace
(d) Jim Pendergast
8. Where was the American's atom bomb tested?
(a) New Mexico
(b) Washington DC
(c) Bikini Atoll
9. What was the name of President Truman's custom built railway car?
(a) The Ferdinand Magellan
(b) The Titanic
(c) The George Washington
(d) Pullman Car #3457113
10. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
(a) Wtih Margaret and her husband
(b) Truman library
(c) Truman farm
(d) The family home of Bess Truman
11. What was Barkley's "prop-stop" campaign?
(a) Barkley's habit of propping himself against a bar to deliver speeches
(b) The propellor pin he wore on his suit lapel during the campaign
(c) A trip the VP candidate took by airplane that was similar to the railway tour the President was making.
(d) It refers to the time in his campaign when his plane's propellor fell off
12. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
(a) To hold the line there
(b) To proceed into China
(c) To proceed into North Korea.
(d) To evacuate all troops from Korea
13. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They thought he was boring
(b) They feared him
(c) They admired and respected him
(d) They disliked him intensely
14. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
(a) Robert E. Lee
(b) Harold Ickes
(c) Andrew Jackson
(d) Henry Wallace
15. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
(a) It continued as before from Truman's desk on the train
(b) Bess took care of it
(c) His staff collected all the papers and held them until he arrived home
(d) The vice president handled everything
Short Answer Questions
1. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
2. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
3. What famous landmark did Churchill visit when in Berlin?
4. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
5. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)