|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who of Truman's long time friends was most instrumental in advising him regarding the Palestine problem?
(a) George Marshall
(b) Jim Pendergast
(c) Eddie Jacobson
(d) Charlie Ross
2. What major country turned Communist during Truman's second Presidency?
(b) South Africa
3. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
4. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
(a) To make Truman look good
(b) To provide civilian, not military, control of this new awesome power
(c) To have a method of channeling funding to the project
(d) To prevent spies from access to the secrets
5. What was a whistle-stop?
(a) A method used to veto a bill
(b) The term used to call for a taxi while standing on the sidewalk
(c) Term used to describe Truman's style of campaigning by stopping his Presidential train in every small town along the way so he could meet the American people.
(d) A street corner
6. How much monthly income did Truman have after leaving the office of president?
(c) $112.56 per month
(d) $10,000 per month
7. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
(a) Central Intelligence Agency
(b) Federal Bureau of Investigation
(c) Air Force
(d) Committee to Re-Elect the President
8. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
(a) Magellan's original docments
(b) Hitler's plan for domination
(c) The conquered lands of Germany
(d) The Germany of 1937
9. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
(a) 38th Parallel
(b) The Yang River
(c) The Alps
(d) The 41st parallel
10. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
(a) His mother and father
(b) His brother and his brother's wife and sons
(c) His sister and mother
(d) Bess and Margaret
11. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
(a) Pinko referred to men who wore women's clothes
(b) Pinko was an affectionate name Harry gave Bess
(c) It is a shortened version ofthe term pinkolator which was a brand of coffee maker
(d) When a difference was pointed out between a red Communist and a lesser dedicated Communist, a pink one.
12. What was the Turnip Congress?
(a) A session of congress where only bills concerning turnips were discussed
(b) A session of congress where dissidents threw turnips at the congressmen
(c) The special congressional session called by Truman during the time of Missouri's Turnip Day
(d) A special committee that turned up important information
13. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
(a) First presidential address to be broadcast on TV
(b) First Jewish president
(c) First presidential address to be printed in the newspaper
(d) First president to ride in an automobile
14. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(b) Computer Science
(c) Lab Technician
15. What condition of the White House was hidden from the Press until after the election?
(a) The portico had fallen on the presidential limo
(b) Fine condition, no need of repair
(c) The elevator was no longer working
(d) The second floor was falling into the first floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the military deploy more divisions in North Korea?
2. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
3. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
4. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
5. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)