|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
(a) Jimmy Byrnes
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) Jim Pendergast
(d) No one
2. Who in the government has the final say regarding military matters?
(a) The Vice President
(b) Secretary of State
(c) The President
(d) Supreme Commander of the Forces
3. What happens to Margaret after her father finishes her Presidential terms?
(a) She joins the Peace Corps
(b) She marries and has four sons.
(c) She is kidnapped
(d) She dies in an automobile accident
4. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) Harold Ickes
(c) Robert E. Lee
(d) Andrew Jackson
5. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
(a) Two million
6. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
(a) Pinko referred to men who wore women's clothes
(b) It is a shortened version ofthe term pinkolator which was a brand of coffee maker
(c) Pinko was an affectionate name Harry gave Bess
(d) When a difference was pointed out between a red Communist and a lesser dedicated Communist, a pink one.
7. How many months had Truman been President before both Germany and Japan surrendered?
8. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
(a) His mother and father
(b) Bess and Margaret
(c) His sister and mother
(d) His brother and his brother's wife and sons
9. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
(a) Washington DC
(c) New Mexico
(d) Wake Island
10. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
(d) Soviet Union
11. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(c) Lab Technician
(d) Computer Science
12. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
(a) Atom bomb
(c) Biological warfare
(d) Heavy tanks
13. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
(a) Central Intelligence Agency
(b) Air Force
(c) Committee to Re-Elect the President
(d) Federal Bureau of Investigation
14. In what country was Potsdam located?
15. What industry does Truman attempt to turn over to government control in April of 1952?
(b) Steel mills
(d) Ship Building
Short Answer Questions
1. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
2. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
3. Which country chose not to participate in the Marshall Plan and thereby caused several more countries in that bloc to pull out?
4. What condition of the White House was hidden from the Press until after the election?
5. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)