|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
(a) Atom bomb
(c) Biological warfare
(d) Heavy tanks
2. What is Adlai Stevenson's position when he runs for President?
(a) Secretary of War
(b) Senator from New Mexico
(c) Governor of Illinois
(d) Private Citizen
3. Who in the government has the final say regarding military matters?
(a) The Vice President
(b) The President
(c) Supreme Commander of the Forces
(d) Secretary of State
4. What was Barkley's "prop-stop" campaign?
(a) It refers to the time in his campaign when his plane's propellor fell off
(b) The propellor pin he wore on his suit lapel during the campaign
(c) Barkley's habit of propping himself against a bar to deliver speeches
(d) A trip the VP candidate took by airplane that was similar to the railway tour the President was making.
5. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
(a) Central Intelligence Agency
(b) Federal Bureau of Investigation
(c) Air Force
(d) Committee to Re-Elect the President
6. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
(a) His father
(b) His mother
(c) His wife
(d) His daughter
7. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
(c) Two million
8. What industry does Truman attempt to turn over to government control in April of 1952?
(a) Steel mills
(b) Ship Building
9. In what country was Potsdam located?
10. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
(a) His staff collected all the papers and held them until he arrived home
(b) It continued as before from Truman's desk on the train
(c) The vice president handled everything
(d) Bess took care of it
11. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
(a) Listening to baseball games on the radio
(b) Dancing with the town women
(c) Watching football on televsion
(d) Dinners and musical entertainment
12. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) George Marshall
(c) Jimmy Brynes
(d) Charlie Ross
13. Which country was able to assemble an atomic bomb after the USA?
(c) Soviet Union
14. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They admired and respected him
(b) They disliked him intensely
(c) They thought he was boring
(d) They feared him
15. Which country chose not to participate in the Marshall Plan and thereby caused several more countries in that bloc to pull out?
(b) Soviet Union
Short Answer Questions
1. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
2. Who is Truman's first choice for his replacement as President?
3. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
4. During Churchill's speech in Missouri, as a guest of Truman, what term does Churchill use to describe the Soviet Union presence that became a common term?
5. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)