|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dancers were Wittman's aunts?
2. What does Wittman say to prevent his mother from worrying?
3. Where did Zeppelin take Popo to gamble?
4. Where did Zeppelin and his friends take Popo for a picnic?
5. What part of Wittman's character does Jones represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Sanchez think that Wittman's English is not as good as he thinks it is?
2. What obligations does Wittman feel he has to fulfill?
3. What references does Wittman make to popular culture in Chapter 7?
4. Why does Wittman not like Siew Loong, Little Dragon?
5. How does Zeppelin illustrate the cheapness of the Chang family?
6. What role do Lance and the Young Yale Poet have in Wittman's play?
7. What agreement have Wittman and Tasa come to about work?
8. Why do the Chinese not consider barbarians as ugly?
9. How does Zeppelin live his life?
10. What does Wittman say to his mother on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author writes the novel in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Compare Chinese and western culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)