|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dancers were Wittman's aunts?
2. What does Wittman say to prevent his mother from worrying?
3. Where did Zeppelin take Popo to gamble?
4. Where did Zeppelin and his friends take Popo for a picnic?
5. What part of Wittman's character does Jones represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Sanchez think that Wittman's English is not as good as he thinks it is?
2. What obligations does Wittman feel he has to fulfill?
3. What references does Wittman make to popular culture in Chapter 7?
4. Why does Wittman not like Siew Loong, Little Dragon?
5. How does Zeppelin illustrate the cheapness of the Chang family?
6. What role do Lance and the Young Yale Poet have in Wittman's play?
7. What agreement have Wittman and Tasa come to about work?
8. Why do the Chinese not consider barbarians as ugly?
9. How does Zeppelin live his life?
10. What does Wittman say to his mother on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1960s.
1) Why was ethnicity and stereotyping such an issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2) Was America going through a transitional phase in the 1960s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1960s America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)