|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeppelin live in?
2. What does Wittman set off at the end of the play?
3. What kind of names do the women in the play have their names translated to?
4. What does Wittman call his grandmother?
5. Who is Wittman offended by at the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do Lance and the Young Yale Poet have in Wittman's play?
2. What does Zeppelin say has happened to Popo?
3. What theater elements feature in Wittman's new play?
4. Why does Wittman have trouble registering at the Unemployment Office?
5. Why is Wittman not sure if Popo is his grandmother?
6. Why is Wittman not allowed to set off firecrackers?
7. How does Zeppelin illustrate the cheapness of the Chang family?
8. What does the elderly Chinese woman teach Wittman?
9. How does Wittman get himself and Tasa thrown out of the restaurant?
10. What does Wittman explain to the elderly Chinese woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
The author writes the novel in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)