|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the seminar's sponsor?
2. Which of the following toys does Wittman object to?
3. What is the man in the stockroom smoking?
4. What does the poet say he was discouraged by?
5. Who insists on sitting next to Wittman on the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chinese man embarrass Wittman during the seminar?
2. What has Wittman's co-worker, Louise, forgotten about Wittman?
3. What does Wittmann see when he has an acid flashback?
4. Why is Wittman angry with Lance over their first meeting?
5. How does Gabe help out Wittman and Tasa?
6. What does Wittman think when he sees some Chinese immigrants in Golden Gate Park?
7. What does Lance represent to Wittman?
8. What does Wittman do when Nanci leaves his apartment?
9. Why does Wittman say he envies the Japanese?
10. How does Wittmann react when Nanci compares his work to LeRoi Jones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Chinese and western culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's life. In what way are her life and personality reflected in the book? How does she use the novel to express her views?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)