|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Wittman hold his play?
2. Which of the following books does Wittman reference in this chapter?
3. What does the poet say he was discouraged by?
4. What color hair does Tasa have?
5. Which of the following toys does Wittman object to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wittman do before he walks out of his job?
2. What does Wittman think about the film WEST SIDE STORY?
3. Why can Wittman's statement about being the monkey King be seen as true?
4. How does Wittmann react when Nanci compares his work to LeRoi Jones?
5. How does the Chinese man embarrass Wittman during the seminar?
6. What does Wittman tell the Yale Younger Poet about his theater company?
7. What are Tasa's conditions for hers and Wittman's relationship?
8. What does Wittman tell Nanci about his life?
9. What does Wittmann see when he has an acid flashback?
10. How does Wittman try to dissuade the Chinese girl from talking to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Kingston wrote TRIPMASTER MONKEY in 1990. Choose one of the following options and discuss how people's ideas about race and stereotyping have changed since then:
1) Television and film.
2) The workplace.
Essay Topic 3
What events in Wittman's early life influenced his decision to become a playwright? How different would Wittman's life have been if his parents and grandparents were born in America?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)