|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the girl going to in Oakland?
2. What do the Indians give Monkey and his friends?
3. What is Louise's position at the department store?
4. What does Wittman do to discourage people from sitting next to him?
5. What is the nationality of the woman Witman meets on the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wittman envy Nanci?
2. How does Wittman maintain his integrity at work?
3. What does Lance represent to Wittman?
4. How do Wittman and Tasa celebrate their marriage?
5. What has Wittman's co-worker, Louise, forgotten about Wittman?
6. What does Wittman write about long into the night?
7. What does Wittman think when he sees some Chinese immigrants in Golden Gate Park?
8. How does Wittman try to dissuade the Chinese girl from talking to him?
9. What does Wittman do when Nanci leaves his apartment?
10. What are Tasa's conditions for hers and Wittman's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Wittman's Chinese ethnicity affected one of the following areas in her life.
2) Social life.
3) Intimate relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Kingston gives some of his character names that relate to popular culture, for example, Zeppelin. Pick one of the following names and examine what meaning their name gives to their character and the story in general.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)