|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin think could happen if it becomes known what has happened to Mr. Fielding?
2. Who rescues Mr. Fielding?
3. Where is the Dromedary?
4. Who does Mauturin try to locate in Valletta?
5. What does Maturin tell Mr. Fielding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Fielding falsely believe about Aubrey and how does that influence Mr. Fielding's choices?
2. How do the men survive the remainder of their desert trek and in what kind of shape are they in at the end of their march?
3. How does Maturin help to protect Mrs. Fielding and pull off and intelligence coup?
4. Who does the crew encounter while setting up camp?
5. Describe the encounter with the treasure galley.
6. What is the attitude of the crew and why as they are returning on the Niobe?
7. What does Maturin tell Fielding about his wife and about Maturin's friendship with his wife?
8. Why does Aubrey decide to commence training Mr. Maitland and Mr. Honey?
9. What happens in Mrs. Fielding's home while Maturin sits in the dark awaiting her return?
10. How does the crew fare on their hike and who is the exception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Treason then, as now, is considered one of the most heinous crimes a citizen can commit and is often punishable by death. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think treason is considered to be so detestable than as now?
2. Do you think the crime of treason is always bad enough to warrant a death sentence? Should the spy who betrays the English so that they do not find the treasure ship be punished with death? Why or why not?
3. During WWII, many Germans performed treasonous acts for the Allies because they believed the acts of Hitler were immoral. Do you think they should have been punished after the war by the German government? Why or why not? Should the allied nations protect those "traitors" that gave them information to help their cause in defeating Hitler? Is it treason to fight against an corrupt and immoral government in your country?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Treason's Harbour based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Treason's Harbour falls within the genre of historical fiction changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Though it is not as evident in Treason's Harbour as others, most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Jack Aubrey takes place during the Napoleonic Wars. Therefore, understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)