|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Dundas complain?
2. Why do Maturin and Aubrey want to return to Malta as quickly as possible?
3. What causes the crew discomfort?
4. Why does Mr. Fielding decline passage aboard the Surprise?
5. Where does the Admiral want Aubrey to go on his next assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Egyptian Wind affect sailing?
2. How does the crew fare on their hike and who is the exception?
3. What surprise awaits Maturin when the Surprise gains a Turkish port?
4. How does Mrs. Fielding change the atmosphere on board the Surprise?
5. What is the attitude of the crew and why as they are returning on the Niobe?
6. Who does the crew encounter while setting up camp?
7. Why does Aubrey decide to commence training Mr. Maitland and Mr. Honey?
8. How do the men survive the remainder of their desert trek and in what kind of shape are they in at the end of their march?
9. What concerns Aubrey about his failed mission with the treasure ship?
10. What does Major Pollock tell Aubrey and what is Aubrey's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During this era in which Treason's Harbour is set, there are class distinctions that are strongly adhered to. Aubrey and Maturin are both gentlemen. Discuss one of the following:
1. How do the divisions of class tend to make divisions among men? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a class-based society? What evidence is there of those advantages and disadvantages in Treason's Harbour?
2. In the English military of that era, nobles and gentlemen generally were the officers and very few of the working or peasant class could cross the line into officer territory. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a system?
3. Do you think there is a class system in the United States? Does it carry over to the military? Why or why not? Some research may be required.
Essay Topic 2
During this era when the book takes place, if a vessel under the command of a naval officer captures another vessel from a country with whom they are warring or captures a pirate vessel and the crew of the victorious vessel shares in the goods, money and value of the vessel. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the British had such a policy in place then?
2. What are the possible abuses that can arise from such a policy?
3. Why do you think this policy is eventually abandoned?
4. Which vessel(s) are mentioned in Treason's Harbour that fall under this maritime law and what are the circumstances of their capture? Does it seem fair?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Treason's Harbour based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Treason's Harbour falls within the genre of historical fiction changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)