|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maturin meet Mr. Fielding?
(a) He wants to challenge Maturin to a duel.
(b) He is interested to know about his wife.
(c) He is injured.
(d) He does not meet Maturin.
2. What is the Egyptian Wind?
(a) A type of sail.
(b) A current out of the confluence of the Nile and Egypt.
(c) A superstitious sailor tale.
(d) An air pattern.
3. What is aboard the Surprise specifically for Maturin?
(a) A deep freeze container for his specimens.
(b) A barrel of pickling solution.
(c) The new diving bell Aubrey gives him.
(d) A cabin specially equipped for his scientific pursuits.
4. Why do Maturin and Aubrey want to return to Malta as quickly as possible?
(a) In case Mrs. Fielding's life is in danger.
(b) For a ball that is to take place shortly.
(c) To give the admiral Fielding's intelligence.
(d) For Aubrey to assume command of the Leopard.
5. With whom does the Surprise sail parallel?
(a) The Dryad.
(b) The Pollux.
(c) The Leopard.
(d) The Houghton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Fielding tell Maturin?
2. What do the crew finally commence?
3. What are the average daily temperatures while at sea?
4. Who makes port at Malta before the Surprise?
5. About what does Aubrey worry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the crew's supplies?
2. How does the Egyptian Wind affect sailing?
3. What surprise awaits Maturin when the Surprise gains a Turkish port?
4. What are conditions like for the men on board the Niobe?
5. How does Maturin help to protect Mrs. Fielding and pull off and intelligence coup?
6. How does Maturin learn that the galley is not carrying treasure?
7. To whom does Aubrey make his report about the treasure ship and what is the person's reaction?
8. Describe the encounter with the French man-of-war.
9. What happens in Mrs. Fielding's home while Maturin sits in the dark awaiting her return?
10. How do the men survive the remainder of their desert trek and in what kind of shape are they in at the end of their march?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)