|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Andrew Wray?
(a) Mrs. Fielding's lover.
(b) An idealist on the side of the French.
(c) Maturin's good botanist friend.
(d) Aubrey's First Lieutenant.
2. What is a requirement of Ramadan?
(a) To travel to Mecca.
(b) Fasting in seclusion.
(c) To welcome all visitors of all faiths.
(d) To sacrifice a goat each morning and evening of Ramadan.
3. Why is Aubrey disappointed about the admiral he visits?
(a) The admiral has become a drunk.
(b) The admiral is unfriendly to Aubrey.
(c) Aubrey thinks he might be spying for the French.
(d) That the man has declined so severely in such a short time.
4. Why does Aubrey request camels immediately?
(a) He wants to learn to ride one.
(b) He wants to learn to command one.
(c) He wants to reserve the best camels while Ramadan is going on.
(d) He wants to leave immediately.
5. How is the crew that remains as far as their ties to Aubrey?
(a) They are close to mutiny.
(b) The narrator does not mention the crew.
(c) They are loyal enough unless they are offered more pay elsewhere.
(d) They are fiercely loyal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aubrey find Maturin enjoying a performance?
2. What are Aubrey and his crew supposed to travel across?
3. How does Aubrey pay for the repairs on his ship?
4. How does Ponto greet Captain Aubrey when he sees him in the market?
5. What does Aubrey need in order to set sail on the Surprise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ramadan?
2. What is Monsieur Lesuerur doing in Malta?
3. What does Aubrey do with his prize money?
4. Where do Aubrey and Maturin encounter each other and why is Maturin there?
5. What is Maturin's latest purchase and for what does he want to use it?
6. Describe the situation at the opening of Treason's Harbour.
7. How does Aubrey "misbehave" and what is the result?
8. What is it like in Malta and why does that not cheer up the British officers?
9. Who is Dr. Graham and about what is he concerned?
10. Who do Aubrey and his crew meet in Mubara and what does he tell them?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)