|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Olivia originally come to Behala?
(a) For vacation.
(b) To collect data about the citizens' hunger problem.
(c) To study at the nearby university.
(d) To play in a calypso band.
2. Whose son is Dante Jerome?
(a) Gabriel Olondriz.
(b) Senator Zapanta.
(c) Jose Angelico.
(d) Pia Dante.
3. In what neighborhood does Senator Zapanta live?
(c) Green Hills.
4. With whom does Olivia get in touch right away once the three policemen come to her door to ask her questions about her visit to Colva Prison?
(a) Senator Zapanta.
(b) The British Embassy.
(c) Father Juilliard.
(d) The American Embassy.
5. How much money does Marco tell Gardo he wants in order to produce the Bible Gardo seeks?
(a) 10,000 pesos.
(b) 20,000 pesos.
(c) 100 American dollars.
(d) 30,000 pesos.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of vehicle do Gardo and Olivia travel to Colva Prison?
2. What is the position of Senator Zapanta?
3. What does Olivia do when she sees Gardo dressed in his new clothes?
4. What does Rat use to indicate a kiss in the picture he leaves for Father Juilliard inside the safe?
5. What is Senator Zapanta's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Raphael and Gardo use Gabriel Olondriz's Bible in order to decipher the code included within the letter the boys had found within the train station locker, why is Rat unable to help them decipher the message and how does this inability add to the difference between him and the other two boys?
2. In what way does Gabriel Olondriz say that he had been betrayed by his legal defense team?
3. What is seed-corn money and why does Senator Zapanta's theft of that money ultimately cost the poor twice as much as that seed-corn sum?
4. Why are there dozens of families living in shacks nearby Colva Prison?
5. The first two paragraphs of the Star Extra newspaper report included within the novel suggest that the police will soon find the money stolen from Senator Zapanta's house. Why are the police confident in their ability to find the money?
6. Of what crimes was Gabriel Olondriz falsely accused after his attempt to expose Senator Zapanta's corruption?
7. When the boys hide inside a small room within a tenement building, who first detects approaching danger and leads the other two boys out through the hole in the roof to safety?
8. How do the boys figure out that the money lies within the Navaro Graveyard at the center of the city?
9. What method do Raphael, Gardo, and Rat use in order to evade the police after they leap from rooftop to rooftop in an attempt to escape?
10. When Olivia and Gardo meet Gabriel Olondriz inside Colva Prison, Olivia states that the old man is dying. What facts does she cite as leading her to this conclusion?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)