|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yolland tell Maire his mother is from in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does Maire do in Act 2, Scene 2 when she says "Lag"?
3. From where is the new head master in the new school in Act 3?
4. Sarah enters and sees what in the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, Maire wonders whether her aunt taught her something which is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lancey enters in Act 3, what does he inform the students?
2. What are Bridget and Doalty talking about when they enter in Act 3?
3. What is the significance of Sarah's entrance in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Doalty imply in Act 3 regarding the Donnelly twins?
5. What is Maire's demeanor in Act 3 when she enters? What does she ask Owen?
6. What reason would Sarah have for crying and feeling guilt in Act 3?
7. Why does Maire return to the hedge school in Act 3? What conversation does she have?
8. Describe the setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
9. What fire takes place in Act 3? What happens with the characters because of this?
10. What is the ultimate conflict in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the time period in which the play was written. How does this relate to the themes of Translations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of Translations. How does this plot relate to the plots of Greek dramas and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of the setting in Translations. How is this time and place inherent in the play's plot and themes?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)