|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lancey say the army will do if Yolland is not found in 24 hours?
2. When did Fiddler O'Shea say he would be back in the town in Act 3?
3. From where is the new head master in the new school in Act 3?
4. What is Manus carrying when he descends the stairs in Act 3?
5. Maire's aunt who taught her the one line of English she knows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Manus tell Owen just before he leaves regarding their father? What does he say to Sarah?
2. When Manus to tell the men from the school that he'll write and explain, what is Owen's reply?
3. What is unique about the way the playwright uses language in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What fire takes place in Act 3? What happens with the characters because of this?
5. Describe the significance and repetition of the word "always" in Act 2, Scene 2.
6. What reason would Sarah have for crying and feeling guilt in Act 3?
7. When Lancey enters in Act 3, what does he inform the students?
8. What does Doalty imply in Act 3 regarding the Donnelly twins?
9. Describe the importance of language in Act 2, Scene 2.
10. How do Maire and Yolland express that they have both had feelings for one another building up to Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of Translations. How does this plot relate to the plots of Greek dramas and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the ending of Translations mirrors the beginning. What opposites are represented in the ending of the play? What is the symbolic meaning of this?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and relate what the reader learns through exposition regarding the characters in Act 1. How is exposition used in Act 2?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)