|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hugh call the soldiers outside the pub in Act 3?
2. In what language does Maire attempt to speak to Yolland in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. In Act 3, from where are the men to whom Manus tells Owen that he'll write as soon as he can in Act 3?
4. What does Yolland say he's made up his mind to do in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Maire remark about Yolland's arms in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Maire and Yolland shy and awkward in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does Doalty imply in Act 3 regarding the Donnelly twins?
3. What is Maire's demeanor in Act 3 when she enters? What does she ask Owen?
4. How is Act 3 like Act 1? How is it different?
5. Why does Maire return to the hedge school in Act 3? What conversation does she have?
6. What is Yolland's hope for the future with Maire in Act 2, Scene 2? How does his dream differ from hers?
7. What does Hugh say to Owen after he finds the names book in Act 3?
8. What is the ultimate conflict in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. When Hugh and Jimmy enter in Act 3, what information is revealed about both of their futures?
10. What danger is involved in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Hugh and Lancey in the play. What symbolically do these characters each represent?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Friel's use of symbolism and motif in the play. What themes are depicted through these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of disability as it applies to the characters of Manus and Sarah. How do their disabilities make them alike? How do they limit them in the world?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)