|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were two of the soldiers' horses were found at the bottom of the cliffs?
(a) Cnoc na nGabhar.
(b) Carraig an Phoill.
(c) Machaire Buidhe.
2. Owen tells Yolland in Act 2, Scene 1, "You can learn to _____ us."
3. Where are the living-quarters of the headmaster and his son?
(b) Next door.
(d) Across the street.
4. Who does Owen say are the best fishermen out there?
(a) The O'Flaherty's.
(b) The Irish.
(c) The Donnelly twins.
(d) The O'Conners.
5. Who translates for Captain Lancey when he comes to the school?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what female does Jimmy speak to Manus from his reading in Act 1?
2. What does Maire's last name mean?
3. What is the salary Manus is offered at the new hedge school in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Whose baby was christened in the morning of Act 1?
5. What is Lieutenant Yolland's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sarah's character. What is her relationship to Manus?
2. Describe the characteristics of Lancey in the play. What are his objectives?
3. What interaction occurs between Manus and Maire regarding last night in Act 1?
4. Describe the character of Bridget. What is her relationship to Doalty?
5. What exposition does Yolland reveal regarding his past in Act 2?
6. What does Yolland admire about Hugh regarding the naming process? What is Owen's reaction?
7. How is the "date" arranged between Yolland and Maire in Act 2?
8. What is Hugh's response to Yolland's attempts to impress him?
9. Who in literature is Jimmy obsessed with? Who does he associate this person with in real life?
10. What does Yolland tell Owen about Maire in Act 2?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)