|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the big machine the British soldiers take everywhere with them?
2. What is the foreboding sweet smell an indication of in Act 1?
(a) War signals.
(b) The coming troops.
(c) Fire in the woods.
(d) Potato famine.
3. Yolland asks Owen how long Manus has been what in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Yolland states in Act 2, Scene 1 that "Your Irish air has made me" what?
5. What does Owen say is the Irish word for "bottom" in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language will the new national schools teach?
2. What does Yolland say the private core of Ireland would always be to him, even if he lived there?
3. What poet does Yolland say he lived three miles from in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does Yolland say that his father believes is just about to happen in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. In what languages is Jimmy fluent (in addition to Irish)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Hugh in the beginning of Act 1? How does the reader find this out? What does this lead Manus to do?
2. What does Yolland ask Owen about his living in Ireland in Act 2? What is Owen's initial response?
3. Describe Owen upon his first entrance in Act 1. What is everyone's reaction to seeing him?
4. Compare the points of view of Owen and Yolland to their renaming work in Act 2.
5. What exposition does Yolland reveal regarding his past in Act 2?
6. How do Owen and Yolland go about the name changes in Act 2?
7. What is taking place as Act 1 begins? Where does Act 1 take place?
8. Who in literature is Jimmy obsessed with? Who does he associate this person with in real life?
9. Who are Jimmy and Hugh? What are their characteristics?
10. How does Yolland feel about his alienation in Ireland? How does Owen placate this?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)