|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Kerry politician that Maire talks about in Act 1?
(a) Dan O'Connell.
(b) Sean O'Williams.
(c) Michael Connelly.
(d) Stephen O'Flaherty.
2. What does Sarah give to Manus in Act 1?
(a) An apple.
3. Who does Jimmy compare to a goddess in Act 1?
4. What does Manus offer Maire when she asks for water in Act 1?
5. What is the foreboding sweet smell an indication of in Act 1?
(a) War signals.
(b) Potato famine.
(c) Fire in the woods.
(d) The coming troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what Irish County does the play take place?
2. What is the name of the group who are conducting the land surveys?
3. What does Maire's last name mean?
4. Who is Jimmy reading in Act 1?
5. Who does Yolland say reminds him of his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sarah's character. What is her relationship to Manus?
2. What is Manus' reaction upon Maire's entrance? How does he greet her?
3. What does Yolland tell Owen about Maire in Act 2?
4. Describe the character of Maire. What is her family situation?
5. What does Maire tell Manus about America in Act 1? What is his reply?
6. Explain how Owen's not correcting Yolland on his name relates to the mapping progress in Act 2.
7. Where is Hugh in the beginning of Act 1? How does the reader find this out? What does this lead Manus to do?
8. Discuss how the theme of renaming is expressed in the play.
9. Discuss Sarah's relationship to the theme of language in the play.
10. Describe the character of Yolland. What are his feelings of Baile Beag?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)