|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yolland do to try to make himself be understood by Maire in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Speaks German.
(b) Speaks Latin.
(c) Speaks Irish.
(d) Speaks loudly.
2. What does Maire remark about Yolland's arms in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) They are stong and lean.
(b) They are muscular.
(c) They are long and thin.
(d) They are dark.
3. What did Jimmy shout at the soldiers outside the pub in Act 3?
4. What does Maire stoop down and pick up to show Yolland in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) A leaf.
(b) A rock.
(c) A twig.
5. In Act 3, what does Manus suggest Owen bake for his father?
(b) Soda bread.
6. In Act 3, from where are the men to whom Manus tells Owen that he'll write as soon as he can in Act 3?
(a) The British Army.
(b) The national school.
(c) Ca na Bhurn.
(d) Inis Meadhon.
7. What word did Yolland make fun of Maire for mispronouncing in Act 3?
8. What word does Maire say initially in English when speaking to Yolland in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Maire says that Yolland's hands are what in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Maire tells Yolland in Act 2, Scene 2, "Listen to me. I want you too, ____."
11. What does Yolland say he is doing because of Maire in Act 2, Scene 2?
12. Who can't reply their name when questioned by Lancey in Act 3?
13. What does Doalty tell Owen to translate for Lancey in Act 3?
(a) That the soldiers are leaving.
(b) That the camp is on fire.
(c) That the potato blight has arrived.
(d) That the church is on fire.
14. How many more soldiers arrived an hour ago, according to Doalty in Act 3?
(d) One hundred.
15. What word does Maire ask Yolland for the meaning of in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sarah say she lives in Act 3?
2. Maire's aunt who taught her the one line of English she knows?
3. When is Jimmy getting married in Act 3?
4. Where does Yolland walk home along every day?
5. What does Manus say he had in his hand when he went looking for Yolland in Act 3?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)