|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Doalty, there are two men up the road looking for whom in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is the Irish word for "river" as stated in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. Who does Yolland mention talking about Apollo with Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What did Manus' father attend that afternoon in Act 1?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A christening.
(d) A wake.
5. The Irish word "Druim" means what in English?
6. Hugh notes that Owen should address himself to what regarding the poteen in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What name does Yolland mistakenly call Owen for much of the play?
8. Who is teaching Sarah to speak at the beginning of Act 1?
9. What is the name of the group who are conducting the land surveys?
(a) The Royal Engineers.
(b) The Engineers of the Crown.
(c) The Royal Military.
(d) The Royal Land Surveyers.
10. What does Yolland say that his father believes is just about to happen in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) The Apocalypse.
(c) The Revolution.
(d) Irish-English War.
11. In what language does Hugh write poetry?
12. How many years has it been since they've had a hot summer, according to Owen in Act 2, Scene 1?
(c) A hundred.
13. What is the term which refers to the action of changing the names from Irish to English?
14. Jimmy reads, "Ulysses went forth through the harbour and through the woodland to the place where Athene had shown him he could find the good" what?
15. Who is Hugh's younger son?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hugh send Manus out to get for him at his arrival in Act 1?
2. Who comes running in looking for Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. How much money does Hugh ask Owen to borrow in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does Sarah give to Manus in Act 1?
5. What is the Irish word for "black"?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)