|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who translates for Captain Lancey when he comes to the school?
2. What poet does Yolland say he lived three miles from in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. When does Maire say her passage money for America came?
(c) Last Friday.
4. Owen tells Yolland in Act 2, Scene 1, "You can learn to _____ us."
5. What language does Maire say she knows better than English?
6. Where is the hedge-school held?
(a) A barn.
(b) A courthouse.
(c) A schoolhouse.
(d) A church.
7. Who is the Justice of the Peace?
(a) George McAnderson.
(b) Michael Connelly.
(c) Hugh O'Connell.
(d) George Alexander.
8. When does Yolland say the sappers are pulling out of the town in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Next year.
(c) Next week.
(d) Next month.
9. How many younger siblings does Maire have?
10. In what languages is Jimmy fluent (in addition to Irish)?
(a) German and Latin.
(b) Spanish and Russian.
(c) Greek and Spanish.
(d) Latin and Greek.
11. In what Irish County does the play take place?
12. Of what female does Jimmy speak to Manus from his reading in Act 1?
(d) Lady Macbeth.
13. In what language does Hugh write poetry?
14. What is the big machine the British soldiers take everywhere with them?
15. What is going mad from the heat in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The shepherds.
(b) The cattle.
(c) The sheep.
(d) The chickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah give to Manus in Act 1?
2. How much money does Hugh ask Owen to borrow in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What is the Irish word for "river" as stated in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Yolland say he hears coming from Maire's house every night?
5. Jimmy reads, "Ulysses went forth through the harbour and through the woodland to the place where Athene had shown him he could find the good" what?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)