|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Maire say she knows better than English?
2. What does Yolland's father do for a living?
(a) Builds houses.
(b) Works for the military.
(c) Builds roads.
(d) Is an architect.
3. Who has Hugh spoken to in the morning in Act 1?
(a) Lieutenant Yolland.
(b) Captain Marshall.
(c) Captain Lancey.
4. Owen states that every Dubh in Irish has been translated to what in English?
5. What does Manus offer Maire when she asks for water in Act 1?
6. What is Jimmy's full name?
(a) Jimmy Jack Cassie.
(b) Jimmy Jack Cork.
(c) Jimmy Jack O'Neill.
(d) Jimmy Jack O'Flaherty.
7. Who comes running in looking for Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. Whose baby was christened in the morning of Act 1?
(a) Sarah O'Conner's.
(b) Millie Reardon's.
(c) Nellie Ruadh's.
(d) Nellie O'Keefe's.
9. How many years has it been since they've had a hot summer, according to Owen in Act 2, Scene 1?
(c) A hundred.
10. Who does Yolland mention talking about Apollo with Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
11. What is the term which refers to the action of changing the names from Irish to English?
12. What name does Yolland mistakenly call Owen for much of the play?
13. Of what female does Jimmy speak to Manus from his reading in Act 1?
(b) Lady Macbeth.
14. Yolland states in Act 2, Scene 1 that "Your Irish air has made me" what?
15. What did Manus' father attend that afternoon in Act 1?
(a) A funeral.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A christening.
(d) A wake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the salary Manus is offered at the new hedge school in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is Maire's last name?
3. Who is teaching Sarah to speak at the beginning of Act 1?
4. Who is the Justice of the Peace?
5. Who does Manus say isn't coming to class in Act 1?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)