|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Translations take place?
2. How much time has passed between Act 1 and Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Two years.
3. Who does Yolland say reminds him of his father?
4. Who is the Kerry politician that Maire talks about in Act 1?
(a) Michael Connelly.
(b) Stephen O'Flaherty.
(c) Sean O'Williams.
(d) Dan O'Connell.
5. What is Jimmy's full name?
(a) Jimmy Jack O'Neill.
(b) Jimmy Jack O'Flaherty.
(c) Jimmy Jack Cork.
(d) Jimmy Jack Cassie.
6. Where does Yolland say he would be if he'd not joined the army in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What is Maire's last name?
8. What does Sarah give to Manus in Act 1?
(a) An apple.
9. How much money does Hugh ask Owen to borrow in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) One crown.
(b) Three pence.
(d) Half a crown.
10. What language will the new national schools teach?
(c) English and Irish.
11. Who does Owen say are the best fishermen out there?
(a) The O'Flaherty's.
(b) The O'Conners.
(c) The Donnelly twins.
(d) The Irish.
12. In what town does Translations take place?
(a) Beale Beag.
(b) Bun na hAbhann.
(c) Cnoc na nGahar.
13. At what pub does Sarah tell Manus that Hugh is in Act 1?
(b) Con Connie Tim's.
(d) Anna na mBreag's.
14. When does Maire say her passage money for America came?
(b) Last Friday.
15. What is the foreboding sweet smell an indication of in Act 1?
(a) Potato famine.
(b) War signals.
(c) Fire in the woods.
(d) The coming troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Irish word for "beach"?
2. Owen states that every Dubh in Irish has been translated to what in English?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Yolland say he hears coming from Maire's house every night?
4. What did Doalty do for Yolland in the morning of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Hugh tell Owen and Yolland that Anna na mBreag means in English?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)