|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had asked Manus to write to her sister in Act 1?
(a) Mama Donnelly.
(b) Ginny O'Flaherty.
(c) Biddy O'Shea.
(d) Biddy Hanna.
2. What does Manus tell Owen he should hide before their father comes downstairs in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The book.
(b) The wine.
(c) The map.
(d) The bottle.
3. What is the one word that Jimmy knows in English?
4. When does Yolland say the sappers are pulling out of the town in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Next month.
(b) Next week.
(c) Next year.
5. Who translates for Captain Lancey when he comes to the school?
6. Owen tells Yolland in Act 2, Scene 1, "You can learn to _____ us."
7. Owen says to Yolland in Act 2, Scene 1 that Manus doesn't have enough money to do what?
(b) Buy a house.
8. What does Owen say is the Irish word for "bottom" in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What is the Irish word for "river" as stated in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. Where is the hedge-school held?
(a) A barn.
(b) A church.
(c) A schoolhouse.
(d) A courthouse.
11. What is Jimmy's full name?
(a) Jimmy Jack O'Flaherty.
(b) Jimmy Jack Cork.
(c) Jimmy Jack O'Neill.
(d) Jimmy Jack Cassie.
12. What is going mad from the heat in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The sheep.
(b) The shepherds.
(c) The cattle.
(d) The chickens.
13. Who does Jimmy compare to a goddess in Act 1?
14. How much time has passed between Act 1 and Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Two years.
15. What does Hugh tell Owen and Yolland that Anna na mBreag means in English?
(a) Anna of the Lies.
(b) Anna of the Crown.
(c) Anna of the Village.
(d) Anna with curly hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many younger siblings does Maire have?
2. What is the foreboding sweet smell an indication of in Act 1?
3. In what language is Jimmy reading at the beginning of Act 1?
4. What language does Hugh speak in as he descends the stairs in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Who does Owen say are the best fishermen out there?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)