|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word "verecund" mean?
2. In what Irish County does the play take place?
3. What is the salary Manus is offered at the new hedge school in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) 30 pounds a year.
(b) 25 pounds a year.
(c) 50 pounds a year.
(d) 42 pounds a year.
4. Where is the new national school being built in the play?
(a) Cnoc na nGabhar.
(b) Loch an Iubhar.
(c) Carraig an Phoill.
(d) Poll na gCaorach.
5. Hugh states that the parish priest in a worthy man but barely what in Act 2, Scene 1?
(d) Of age.
6. How many younger siblings does Maire have?
7. In what year does Yolland say his father was born in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What poet does Yolland say he lived three miles from in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. Who translates for Captain Lancey when he comes to the school?
10. Who has Hugh spoken to in the morning in Act 1?
(a) Captain Lancey.
(b) Lieutenant Yolland.
(d) Captain Marshall.
11. What is Doalty carrying when he enters in Act 1?
(a) A baby lamb.
(b) A surveyer pole.
(d) A milk pail.
12. Where are the living-quarters of the headmaster and his son?
(b) Next door.
(c) Across the street.
13. How many years has it been since they've had a hot summer, according to Owen in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A hundred.
14. Manus asks if who is no longer coming to classes in Act 1?
(b) The Donnelly twins.
15. Hugh notes that Owen should address himself to what regarding the poteen in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doalty say that Jimmy knows the first book of by heart in Act 1?
2. What is going mad from the heat in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What name does Yolland mistakenly call Owen for much of the play?
4. Owen says to Yolland in Act 2, Scene 1 that Manus doesn't have enough money to do what?
5. When does Yolland say the sappers are pulling out of the town in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)