|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Doalty carrying when he enters in Act 1?
(a) A baby lamb.
(b) A milk pail.
(d) A surveyer pole.
2. How much money does Hugh ask Owen to borrow in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Half a crown.
(b) Three pence.
(d) One crown.
3. Owen tells Yolland in Act 2, Scene 1, "You can learn to _____ us."
4. Who does Jimmy compare to a goddess in Act 1?
5. What is going mad from the heat in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The shepherds.
(b) The cattle.
(c) The sheep.
(d) The chickens.
6. In what town does Translations take place?
(a) Cnoc na nGahar.
(b) Beale Beag.
(c) Bun na hAbhann.
7. What does the word "verecund" mean?
8. Manus asks if who is no longer coming to classes in Act 1?
(a) The Donnelly twins.
9. Where is the new national school being built in the play?
(a) Carraig an Phoill.
(b) Cnoc na nGabhar.
(c) Loch an Iubhar.
(d) Poll na gCaorach.
10. How many younger siblings does Maire have?
11. What is the Irish word for "river" as stated in Act 2, Scene 1?
12. What name does Yolland mistakenly call Owen for much of the play?
13. Who comes running in looking for Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
14. In what year does Translations take place?
15. Who has Hugh spoken to in the morning in Act 1?
(a) Captain Marshall.
(c) Captain Lancey.
(d) Lieutenant Yolland.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what language does Hugh write poetry?
2. What language will the new national schools teach?
3. Which character does Hugh say is not coming back to classes because she can now write her name?
4. Hugh notes that Owen should address himself to what regarding the poteen in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Who had asked Manus to write to her sister in Act 1?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)