|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yolland asks Owen how long Manus has been what in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Hugh send Manus out to get for him at his arrival in Act 1?
3. In what language does Hugh write poetry?
4. What does Manus offer Maire when she asks for water in Act 1?
5. In what Irish County does the play take place?
6. Where is the hedge-school held?
(a) A barn.
(b) A courthouse.
(c) A church.
(d) A schoolhouse.
7. What does Doalty say that Jimmy knows the first book of by heart in Act 1?
(a) The Bible.
(c) Plato's Cave.
(d) The Odyssey.
8. What does Owen call his father in Act 2, Scene 1 when speaking to Yolland after his father leaves?
9. The Irish word "Druim" means what in English?
10. What is the salary Manus is offered at the new hedge school in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) 30 pounds a year.
(b) 50 pounds a year.
(c) 42 pounds a year.
(d) 25 pounds a year.
11. What is Lieutenant Yolland's first name?
12. Who does Manus say isn't coming to class in Act 1?
(a) Sean Beag.
13. What does Owen say is the Irish word for "bottom" in Act 2, Scene 1?
14. In what town does Translations take place?
(a) Cnoc na nGahar.
(b) Bun na hAbhann.
(c) Beale Beag.
15. Where were two of the soldiers' horses were found at the bottom of the cliffs?
(a) Cnoc na nGabhar.
(b) Carraig an Phoill.
(c) Machaire Buidhe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maire's last name?
2. Who does Owen say are the best fishermen out there?
3. Who does Yolland mention talking about Apollo with Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Yolland say he hears coming from Maire's house every night?
5. What is the one word that Jimmy knows in English?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)