|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what languages is Jimmy fluent (in addition to Irish)?
(a) Latin and Greek.
(b) Greek and Spanish.
(c) German and Latin.
(d) Spanish and Russian.
2. Yolland asks Owen how long Manus has been what in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What language does Hugh speak in as he descends the stairs in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What is the term which refers to the action of changing the names from Irish to English?
5. Who does Manus say isn't coming to class in Act 1?
(d) Sean Beag.
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Yolland say he hears coming from Maire's house every night?
7. What is Jimmy's nickname?
(a) Old Man.
(b) Child Genius.
(d) Infant Prodigy.
8. Until what age are you required to stay in school at the new national schools?
9. Owen says to Yolland in Act 2, Scene 1 that Manus doesn't have enough money to do what?
(a) Buy a house.
10. Sarah's community considers her to be which of the following?
11. How much time has passed between Act 1 and Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A few months.
(b) Two years.
(c) A few days.
(d) Six weeks.
12. What does Hugh tell Owen and Yolland that Anna na mBreag means in English?
(a) Anna with curly hair.
(b) Anna of the Lies.
(c) Anna of the Crown.
(d) Anna of the Village.
13. What is the Irish word for "black"?
14. Who comes running in looking for Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
15. What is the name of the group who are conducting the land surveys?
(a) The Royal Engineers.
(b) The Engineers of the Crown.
(c) The Royal Land Surveyers.
(d) The Royal Military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language will the new national schools teach?
2. Who has Hugh spoken to in the morning in Act 1?
3. Who is teaching Sarah to speak at the beginning of Act 1?
4. What does Owen call his father in Act 2, Scene 1 when speaking to Yolland after his father leaves?
5. Hugh states that the parish priest in a worthy man but barely what in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)