|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Scarpetta walk through the red mud?
2. What color is the cup in Lucy's mailbox?
3. Where is the Publix?
4. How does Pogue refer to the chlorine bomb?
5. Where does Lucy go after leaving the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Scarpetta first arrives at Mrs. Paulsson's home in the beginning of chapter thirty-one when Scarpetta goes to confront Mrs. Paulsson about the attack on Marino.
2. Why does Scarpetta say that Pogue wouldn't have worried about catching the flu from Gilly Paulsson when he broke in to kill her even though Pogue had a disability that would have made the flu deadly to him?
3. In chapter thirty-five how does Pogue describe the eye?
4. What does Dr. Philpott tell Scarpetta about Pogue.
5. What does Scarpetta answer when Marino asks what if Mrs. Paulsson has aids?
6. What does Scarpetta tell Marino in chapter thirty-three when he asks if she is sure that Mrs. Paulsson won't call the cops?
7. What information is Dr. Paulsson able to give Lucy about Gilly?
8. What did Pogue and Mrs. Arnette discuss before he killed her as Pogue recalls in chapter fifty-one?
9. What does Rudy call Scarpetta to tell her in chapter forty-two?
10. What is Lucy talking to the other helicopter pilot about in Dr. Paulsson's waiting room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marino is ashamed to have to explain that he was sexually assaulted by Mrs. Paulsson.
Part 1) Why is it that Marino was so ashamed to show Scarpetta his body?
Part 2) Would Marino have been less ashamed if Scarpetta had been a man or if Marino had not had feelings for Scarpetta.
Essay Topic 2
There is an omniscient view in the book that gives the reader a broader view than the individual characters.
Part 1) Pick one of the characters in the book and explain how the book would have been different if the view had been seen only from their point of view.
Part 2) What would have changed in the story if Scarpetta had been aware of Pogue's motivations?
Essay Topic 3
The hairy eyeball is seen often in the story.
Part 1) What does the hairy eyeball convey to the reader?
Part 2) What other symbols are seen in the story?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)