|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found on Gilly's pillowcase?
2. How does Henri refer to her attacker?
3. What does Marino think he has done to Mrs. Paulsson?
4. Who is the security guard at the BioTech II building?
5. Where did the neighbor see Henri the morning of the attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Guts Man?
2. Describe what Lucy finds taped to her back door.
3. Why does Dr. Kay Scarpetta come to Richmond, Va?
4. What does Lucy find out about Dr. Joel Marcus?
5. What does Lucy fabricate for her neighbor Kate?
6. How does the visit go when Lucy goes to see her next door neighbor?
7. Describe Mrs. Paulsson's bathroom.
8. In chapter thirty when Scarpetta tells Marino to tell her all about what happened with Mrs. Paulsson, what are the reasons that makes Marino considers lying?
9. Describe the scene in the end of chapter twenty eight in which Marino is watching Scarpetta finish up gather samples at the scene of the Whitby death.
10. Describe the events that happen at Mrs. Paulsson's house as Marino describes them to Scarpetta.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following topics to write about:
Part 1) Mrs. Paulsson goes ahead with her accusations that Marino sexually assaulted her. Write out a short essay about what happens during the investigation and how it effects Marino.
Part 2) Write a short story about Henri's next attempt at getting sympathy from whomever she is taking advantage of.
Part 3) Write a short summary about what happens to Pogue when he goes on trial for the murder of Gilly Paulsson and the other things he has done.
Essay Topic 2
It is said in the story that Henri is narcissistic.
Part 1) Pick three other characters in the book and explain in what ways they show, at least, moments of narcissism. Give examples of their narcissism.
Part 2) Could it be that Marino was being narcissistic to some extent when he didn't want to show Scarpetta his wounds? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Marino inadvertently gets pulled into Mrs. Paulsson's scam and she almost accuses him of raping her.
Part 1) What does this say about Mrs. Paulsson's personality? What does it say about Marino's personality that he was so easily pulled into Mrs. Paulsson's trap?
Part 2) What does it convey to the reader that Scarpetta was so eager to go and confront Mrs. Paulsson after Marino's attack?
Part 3) Is it understandable that Mrs. Paulsson was so eager to drop her accusations after Scarpetta confronted her? Explain.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)