|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the summerhouse is deserted, what is the weather like?
(a) Cloudy, but calm
(b) Cold and dry
(c) It is stormy, windy, and rainy.
(d) Sunny and warm
2. What does Lily discover about the meaning of life?
(a) She asks Mr. Ramsay for the meaning of life.
(b) She finds the meaning of life in her art.
(c) She never finds it, but has small revelations
(d) She finds the meaning of life at the summerhouse.
3. What does Mr. Ramsay tell James about his ability to steer the boat?
(a) He praises James, telling him he did a good job.
(b) He refuses to speak to James.
(c) He ridicules James' sailing abilities.
(d) He embarrasses James with his negative comments.
4. As the Ramsay's approach the Lighthouse, the waves break upon the rocks. What does Woolf compare these waves to?
(a) Smashed glass upon the rocks
(b) Icicles smashing on the rocks
(c) Foaming seltzer overflowing on the rocks
(d) Leaves swirling in the wind
5. How does Mr. Ramsay look at Lily?
(a) As if seeing her for the first time
(b) With longing
(c) With contempt
(d) With disgust
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Mr. Ramsay, James, and Cam plan to leave for their trip to the Lighthouse?
2. What does Mrs. McNab imagine as she takes a break from cleaning to have some tea?
3. What does Mr. Ramsay do while they are sailing to the Lighthouse?
4. Where does the only light come from in the darkness of the house?
5. Why is Lily crying in anguish as she paints her picture?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)