|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lily imagine her painting will end up as time passes?
(a) Thrown in a trash heap
(b) Hung in an attic, or rolled up and tossed under a sofa
(c) Handed down to her ancestors
(d) In a famous art gallery
2. What does Lily discover about the meaning of life?
(a) She asks Mr. Ramsay for the meaning of life.
(b) She finds the meaning of life in her art.
(c) She never finds it, but has small revelations
(d) She finds the meaning of life at the summerhouse.
3. Who are the first guests to arrive at the Ramsay's house?
(a) Lily Briscoe and Mr. Carmichael
(b) Minta and Paul
(c) Andrew and James
(d) Mr. Tansley and Prue
4. What does Mrs. Ramsay do on the beach while Lily paints and Charles skips stones?
(a) She reads a book Mr. Ramsay gave her.
(b) She sits in silence, resting.
(c) She yells at Charles to keep away from the water.
(d) She puts her feet in the water.
5. What is the message in the letter that Mrs. McNab receives from the Ramsay children?
(a) They are selling the house.
(b) They are renovating the house.
(c) They are sending buyers to the house.
(d) They are all coming back to the house for the summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James remember as they all sit in the hot sun on the boat?
2. What is it that bothers Lily so she cannot paint?
3. What is it that could happen to the house between night and dawn?
4. What do the gulls, flowers, trees, and the earth itself seem to be saying on a summer evening at the Ramsay's house?
5. Why does Mrs. McNab pick a bunch of flowers from the Ramsay's garden?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)