|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily's description of the Rayleys?
(a) Minta is garish, flamboyant, and careless. Paul is tired and pale.
(b) They are adventurous and full of life.
(c) They are well off with no cares in the world.
(d) They are happily married and full of energy
2. When do Mr. Ramsay, James, and Cam plan to leave for their trip to the Lighthouse?
(a) At low tide
(b) When the wind dies down
(c) When the wind picks up
(d) With the tide
3. As the Ramsay's approach the Lighthouse, the waves break upon the rocks. What does Woolf compare these waves to?
(a) Icicles smashing on the rocks
(b) Leaves swirling in the wind
(c) Foaming seltzer overflowing on the rocks
(d) Smashed glass upon the rocks
4. How is Cam attracted to her father?
(a) She thinks he is a hero.
(b) She thinks he is funny.
(c) She thinks he has beautiful hands, feet, voice, and words.
(d) She thinks he is brilliant.
5. What do the gulls, flowers, trees, and the earth itself seem to be saying on a summer evening at the Ramsay's house?
(a) Sadness is everywhere
(b) Good triumphs, happiness prevails, and order rules
(c) Life is painful
(d) Evil is rampant in the world
Short Answer Questions
1. While the summerhouse is deserted, what is the weather like?
2. What is the atmosphere around the house as Mrs. McNab's work at the summerhouse is finished?
3. What is the message in the letter that Mrs. McNab receives from the Ramsay children?
4. Who does Lily see sitting in the chair, knitting a stocking?
5. Who are the first guests to arrive at the Ramsay's house?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)