|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily's description of middle aged people?
(a) They are cautious, furtive, and apprehensive with wrinkles between their eyes
(b) They are bold, and self-reliant, full of self-esteem.
(c) They are living through their children.
(d) They are living life to the fullest, now that youth is gone.
2. After Mrs. McNab locks the door to the house, how does the author describe it?
(a) Like an abandoned shack in the highlands
(b) Like a prehistoric, dark cave
(c) Like an empty shell on a sandhill to fill with dry salt grains
(d) Like a relic of another age
3. What is the vow that James and Cam make to each other?
(a) To make it an enjoyable trip
(b) To give sympathy to their father
(c) To fight tyranny
(d) To be kind to their father
4. Who is the only person that goes to the Ramsay's house?
(a) Lily Briscoe
(b) Augustus Carmichael
(c) Mrs. McNab
(d) William Bankes
5. Why is Lily crying in anguish as she paints her picture?
(a) Lily suddenly misses Mrs. Ramsay unbearably.
(b) Lily realizes she will never know the meaning of life.
(c) Lily cannot seem to create the painting she wants.
(d) Lily is upset at Mr. Ramsay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What consoles Lily from her anguish over Mrs. Ramsay's death?
2. What is the condition of the house in the heat of the summer?
3. What is it that could happen to the house between night and dawn?
4. Why can't Lily paint after she sets up her easel?
5. What is Lily's description of the Rayleys?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)