|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
(a) She hangs her shawl over the skull.
(b) She threatens them.
(c) She sings them a lullaby.
(d) She reads them a fairy tale.
2. What does Minta realize she lost when they reach the top of the cliff?
(a) Her favorite book
(b) One of her shoes
(c) Her grandmother's brooch
(d) Her beaded necklace
3. What does Paul decide to do when they cannot find the brooch?
(a) He decides it is time to forget about the brooch.
(b) He decides to forget about women.
(c) He decides to tell Minta that she is being too emotional.
(d) He decides to get up at dawn and look for it and buy a new one if he can't find it.
4. How does Mrs. Ramsay try to lift James' spirits after his father's negative comments
(a) She says that he can get a puppy.
(b) She promises to bake him his favorite cake.
(c) She says that she will buy him a new catalogue.
(d) She says that he might wake up and find the sun shining.
5. What helps Mr. Ramsay forget about the annoyances at dinner?
(a) Reciting poetry
(b) Talking to Mrs. Ramsay
(c) Reading Sir Walter Scott
(d) Playing cricket
6. What does Lily contemplate as the dinner winds down, and people leave the table?
(a) She thinks what a boring dinner party is was.
(b) Everyone who attended the dinner party is forever bonded together, no matter how much time goes by.
(c) She is happy that dinner is finally over.
(d) She hopes she can be like Mrs. Ramsay some day.
7. What does Prue feel about her mother as she sees her standing on the stairs?
(a) Prue feels she is lucky to have her mother and she will never grow up, and never leave home.
(b) She wishes she did not have a mother.
(c) She is annoyed with her mother's overbearing nature.
(d) She thinks her mother looks old.
8. What is Mrs. Ramsay bringing to the Lighthouse for the keeper's ailing son?
(b) Knitted stockings
(c) A winter coat
(d) Knitted hat
9. What is Andrew's opinion of Minta?
(a) He thinks she is a liar.
(b) He thinks she is more sensible than most girls.
(c) He thinks she is boastful.
(d) He thinks she is too prim and proper.
10. How does Mr. Ramsay feel about marriage engagements?
(a) Engagements are inane.
(b) The marriage will never last
(c) The girl is too good for the young man
(d) The girl will never live up to the young man's standards
11. What makes Mr. Ramsay a happy man?
(a) Reciting his poetry
(b) Going for a walk on the beach
(c) His books and his lectures
(d) He has his wife, children, and his career teaching young men philosophy.
12. Why is Minta terrified that they will not find the brooch?
(a) They can't remember everywhere they have been
(b) The sand is blowing everywhere
(c) The tide is coming in
(d) There are too many stones to look through
13. What is it that Mr. Ramsay wants Mrs. Ramsay to say to him, but she is unable to?
(a) I adore you.
(b) You are a good husband.
(c) You are brilliant.
(d) I love you.
14. What is Mr. Ramsay afraid will happen if Andrew doesn't work harder?
(a) The chance for a scholarship
(b) He will lose his job.
(c) He will become a lazy ne'er do well.
(d) His zest for live
15. What is Mr. Ramsay doing on the terrace as Mrs. Ramsay sits inside looking at catalogues?
(a) He is reading his book.
(b) He is repairing loose stones on the terrace.
(c) He is marching up and down reciting poetry.
(d) He is planting flowers for Mrs. Ramsay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the image the author gives of Mrs. Ramsay as she looks at her dinner guests?
2. What is Lily Briscoe doing on the edge of the lawn?
3. Why does Mr. Ramsay become angry with Augustus during dinner?
4. Why is Mrs. Ramsay concerned when the sound of the children playing and the men talking suddenly stops?
5. What does Lily tell William Bankes about Mr. Ramsay?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)