|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Ramsay so annoyed with Mr. Tansley, thinking him hateful?
(a) He breaks her favorite necklace.
(b) He tells James that he cannot go to the Lighthouse.
(c) He insults her cooking.
(d) He slaps James.
2. What is Lily Briscoe doing on the edge of the lawn?
(a) Waving to a neighbor passing by
(b) Having a picnic with the children
(c) Painting a picture of Mrs. Ramsay and James
(d) Playing cricket with the children
3. What is the children's opinion of Mr. Tansley?
(a) He is bright, handsome, and friendly.
(b) He is a miserable, sarcastic brute.
(c) He would be a good catch for any woman.
(d) He is athletic and bold.
4. What does Lily feel the Ramsays are flooded with?
(d) Being in love
5. Why does William Bankes see Mrs. Ramsay as child-like?
(a) Because she isn't aware of her beauty, wanting to be insignificant
(b) Because she loves sweets
(c) Because she enjoys swimming with the children
(d) Because she has an innocent smile
6. What does James ask his mother when she tucks him into bed?
(a) He asks if they will go to the Lighthouse the next day
(b) He asks if Mr. Ramsay is angry with him
(c) He asks if she will get him a new catalogue.
(d) He asks her to tell him a story.
7. Where does Mrs. Ramsay wish she could go with Paul and Minta?
(a) To the picture show
(b) On a walk
(c) To town
(d) To the beach
8. What are the many places Mr. Bankes has traveled?
(a) Rome, France, and Spain
(b) America, South America, and Amsterdam
(c) Madrid, Poland, and Iceland
(d) Amsterdam, Madrid, and Rome
9. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction as he sees his wife sitting in sadness?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He feels she is overreacting.
(c) He is hurt by his wife's distance, feeling that he can't speak to her.
(d) He thinks she is looking for attention.
10. How does Mrs. Ramsay feel about her husband as she looks at him across the table?
(a) She thinks about his brilliance.
(b) She doesn't know how she ever felt any affection for him.
(c) She thinks about how much she loves him.
(d) She thinks about what a wonderful father he is.
11. What is Mr. Ramsay thinks as he watches his wife reading?
(a) He thinks she could be a philosopher.
(b) He thinks she does not understand a word she is reading.
(c) He thinks she is more intelligent than he is.
(d) He thinks she is a good mother.
12. What does Lily tell William Bankes about Mr. Ramsay?
(a) Mr. Ramsay is afraid of the dark.
(b) Mr. Ramsay frightens her because of his mood swings.
(c) Mr. Ramsay cries at night while in bed.
(d) Mr. Ramsay likes to swim in the dark.
13. What does Mr. Bankes think Mr. Tansley feels about the people around the table?
(a) That they are all his true friends
(b) That they have wasted their lives, and are behind the times
(c) That the conversations are engrossing
(d) That they are all having a wonderful time
14. What kind of lives do Prue, Nancy, and Rose want to live?
(a) Lives just like their mothers
(b) Lives filled with children
(c) Lives different from Mrs. Ramsay, a wilder life, not taking care of men
(d) Lives as missionaries
15. What helps Mr. Ramsay forget about the annoyances at dinner?
(a) Talking to Mrs. Ramsay
(b) Reading Sir Walter Scott
(c) Playing cricket
(d) Reciting poetry
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Tansley insulted when Lily asks him to take her to the Lighthouse?
2. How does Nancy feel when she sees Paul and Minta kissing?
3. Where are James and his mother planning to take a trip?
4. What is James' favorite hobby?
5. How does Mr. Ramsay react to being seen reciting poetry by Lily and Mr. Bankes?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)