|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Ramsay react to being seen reciting poetry by Lily and Mr. Bankes?
(a) He is happy someone heard his recitation
(b) He is furious.
(c) He doesn't care.
(d) He wants to recite more to them.
2. What is the image the author gives of Mrs. Ramsay as she looks at her dinner guests?
(a) As a doting hostess
(b) As a queen standing over her subjects, accepting their devotion
(c) As an old crone
(d) As a nervous dog
3. What does James imagine doing to his father?
(a) To grab any weapon and gash a hole in his father's breast
(b) To go fishing for the afternoon
(c) To go to town to the picture show
(d) To go to one of his philosophy classes
4. What does Mr. Bankes think Mr. Tansley feels about the people around the table?
(a) That they have wasted their lives, and are behind the times
(b) That they are all his true friends
(c) That they are all having a wonderful time
(d) That the conversations are engrossing
5. What does Mr. Ramsay think about the intelligence of human beings?
(a) Humans are brilliant, aware or all that happens around them.
(b) Humans are able to understand and learn anything if they try.
(c) Humans are born with innate intelligence.
(d) Humans are ignorant, aware of nothing while the ocean eats away the land around us.
6. Who is the only person Lily doesn't mind looking at her painting?
(a) William Bankes
(c) Mr. Ramsay
(d) Mrs. Ramsay
7. As Mrs. Ramsay sits at the head of the dinner table, what is she contemplating?
(a) She thinks about leaving her husband.
(b) She wonders what will become of her children.
(c) She wonders why dinner is late.
(d) She wonders what she has accomplished, feeling her life is over.
8. Why doesn't Nancy want to go on the walk with Paul and Minta?
(a) Minta is always teasing her.
(b) Nancy doesn't like the way Paul treats her.
(c) Nancy doesn't want to dirty her new shoes.
(d) Nancy doesn't know what Minta wants from her.
9. Why does Mr. Ramsay become angry with Augustus during dinner?
(a) Augustus belches at the table.
(b) Augustus chews loudly.
(c) Augustus spills his wine.
(d) Augustus asks for another bowl of soup.
10. How does Mrs. Ramsay feel about her husband as she looks at him across the table?
(a) She thinks about his brilliance.
(b) She thinks about how much she loves him.
(c) She thinks about what a wonderful father he is.
(d) She doesn't know how she ever felt any affection for him.
11. How does Lily react to the rapture that Mr. Bankes feels toward Mrs. Ramsay?
(a) She feels betrayed.
(b) She is surprised and disgusted
(c) She is insulted that he looks at Mrs. Ramsay and not her.
(d) She is grateful as his rapture dissipates the burdens of life.
12. What kind of lives do Prue, Nancy, and Rose want to live?
(a) Lives just like their mothers
(b) Lives different from Mrs. Ramsay, a wilder life, not taking care of men
(c) Lives filled with children
(d) Lives as missionaries
13. Who says that the weather will not be nice enough for the trip?
(b) Mr. Ramsay
(c) Mr. Carmichael
(d) Lily Briscoe
14. Why is Minta terrified that they will not find the brooch?
(a) The tide is coming in
(b) The sand is blowing everywhere
(c) They can't remember everywhere they have been
(d) There are too many stones to look through
15. What do Paul, Minta, Andrew, and Nancy do, once they reach the beach?
(a) They separate, going their own way.
(b) They go for a swim.
(c) They splash each other.
(d) They watch children building sand castles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't the sleep once dinner is over?
2. Where are James and his mother planning to take a trip?
3. How does Mrs. Ramsay try to lift James' spirits after his father's negative comments
4. What does Lily feel the Ramsays are flooded with?
5. What is James' favorite hobby?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)