|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Ramsay afraid will happen if Andrew doesn't work harder?
(a) His zest for live
(b) The chance for a scholarship
(c) He will become a lazy ne'er do well.
(d) He will lose his job.
2. What does Mr. Ramsay think about the intelligence of human beings?
(a) Humans are able to understand and learn anything if they try.
(b) Humans are ignorant, aware of nothing while the ocean eats away the land around us.
(c) Humans are brilliant, aware or all that happens around them.
(d) Humans are born with innate intelligence.
3. What does Lily see in Mr. Bankes' face as he watches Mrs. Ramsay?
4. What does Mr. Bankes think Mr. Tansley feels about the people around the table?
(a) That they are all having a wonderful time
(b) That they are all his true friends
(c) That the conversations are engrossing
(d) That they have wasted their lives, and are behind the times
5. Why does William Bankes see Mrs. Ramsay as child-like?
(a) Because she has an innocent smile
(b) Because she loves sweets
(c) Because she isn't aware of her beauty, wanting to be insignificant
(d) Because she enjoys swimming with the children
6. What did Mr. Tansley tell Lily at one time about women's artistic abilities?
(a) He says that women are very creative.
(b) He says that women can paint but not write.
(c) He says that women can't paint or write.
(d) He says that women can write but not paint.
7. Why does Mrs. Ramsay think it is a good idea for her husband to spend time at the summerhouse?
(a) To get away from his lectures and academia
(b) To get some fresh air and sunshine
(c) To finish writing his new book
(d) To swim and sail with the children
8. Why does Mrs. Ramsay think Mr. Ramsay is different from other people?
(a) He is obsessed with insignificant events.
(b) He seems oblivious to ordinary things of life, but lives as if in a dream.
(c) He worries about the flower garden constantly.
(d) He is too worried about everyday matters.
9. Why is Minta terrified that they will not find the brooch?
(a) There are too many stones to look through
(b) The tide is coming in
(c) They can't remember everywhere they have been
(d) The sand is blowing everywhere
10. What is it that Mr. Ramsay wants Mrs. Ramsay to say to him, but she is unable to?
(a) You are brilliant.
(b) I adore you.
(c) I love you.
(d) You are a good husband.
11. How does Mr. Bankes refer to the Ramsay children?
(a) With the names of wild animals
(b) With names like the Kings and Queens of England
(c) With the names of famous artists
(d) With the names of fairy tale characters
12. What do Paul, Minta, Andrew, and Nancy do, once they reach the beach?
(a) They watch children building sand castles.
(b) They separate, going their own way.
(c) They splash each other.
(d) They go for a swim.
13. What does Mr. Ramsay compare men's minds to?
(a) Letters of the alphabet
(b) Numbers up to one hundred
(c) The months of the year
(d) The days of the week
14. How does Mrs. Ramsay feel after giving Mr. Ramsay the sympathy he needs?
(a) Happy and carefree
(b) Needed and fulfilled
(c) Both physically and mentally exhausted
(d) Flamboyant and flighty
15. How is Mr. Bankes enjoying the dinner party?
(a) He is glad he accepted Mrs. Ramsay's invitation.
(b) He wishes he were home alone, working.
(c) He is enjoying the conversation at the table.
(d) He wishes he could eat there every night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's opinion about human relationships?
2. How does Mr. Ramsay react to being seen reciting poetry by Lily and Mr. Bankes?
3. What is Mr. Ramsay doing on the terrace as Mrs. Ramsay sits inside looking at catalogues?
4. What are the many places Mr. Bankes has traveled?
5. What helps Mr. Ramsay forget about the annoyances at dinner?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)