|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Julian describe as a quiet, plain woman with soft features; one year or so on either side of forty, married to the owner of a dry goods store?
(a) A woman he befriended.
(b) His cellmate.
(c) A woman in the asylum who thinks she is the Virgin Mary.
(d) A woman that worked at the asylum.
2. What is the most intriguing element?
(a) The fountain in the middle of the garden.
(b) The crucifix hanging above the altar.
(c) A huge dollhouse model of the mansion.
(d) The cardinals flying around.
3. Who was Saint Francis?
(a) A friend to all animals who often talked to creatures, even birds of the sky.
(b) A pope.
(c) A martyr burned at the stake.
(d) A man who hunted wild animals.
4. What does the first man do in an attempt to fend off his feelings about being caught?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He argues with the Cardinal.
(c) He overcompensates with his behavior toward the Cardinal, kneeling to kiss his ring and addressing him in the third person to keep the situation and conversation impersonal.
(d) He begs the Cardinal to leave him alone.
5. What does the butler do?
(a) Enters and agrees that the model is an extraordinary piece of work.
(b) Writes down the measurements.
(c) Teases the Cardinal.
(d) Dusts the model.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Julian part of this trio?
2. How does the scene end?
3. How does the butler feel about listening to Julian?
4. What will Julian do for Miss Alice?
5. How does Julian respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Julian's behavior similar to when he was at the asylum?
2. What does Miss Alice say about Julian's memory? To what does this lead?
3. How does this scene open? Describe the room.
4. What happens after the lawyer backs Miss Alice against the wall?
5. What is the most intriguing element of the room?
6. How does Julian feel about Miss Alice's topic of discussion? How does he respond?
7. Why does Miss Alice say she played this game?
8. Why does the lawyer enter the room?
9. What happens when Julian leaves the room?
10. How does this scene open? Who are the characters in this scene?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)