|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Butler point out?
(a) If Julian were to look into the window of the model, an exact duplicate of the room in which they stand can be seen with every detail intact, even down to the brass candlesticks.
(b) The crucifix is exactly perpendicular to the altar.
(c) The garden is completely symmetrical.
(d) The cardinals control the behavior of the other birds.
2. What does Julian confide about a period during his stay at the asylum?
(a) When he asked to leave, they put him in a single, dark cell.
(b) He fell in love with one of the guards.
(c) When he began to hallucinate and withdraw to a point where he was not certain when his mind was tricking him or when it was not.
(d) He would not talk to anyone or eat anything.
3. Julian is intrigued by the butler's coincidence. How does the Butler feel?
(b) Just as excited.
(c) Nonplussed about almost everything.
(d) Unsure about Julian.
4. Why does Julian ask whether or not someone will soon be available?
(a) To see him for his appointment.
(b) To confess his sins.
(c) To get a tour of the garden.
(d) To take photographs of him and the birds.
5. What are of the expected variety in a place of this grandeur?
(a) A great arched doorway and the furnishings.
(b) The beautiful, exotic birds flying about.
(c) The hand-embroidered banners hanging along the walls.
(d) The beautiful, rare roses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes clearer as the first person becomes more verbal and forthright about the second?
2. What is said about the appropriateness of the two cardinals?
3. How does the scene end?
4. What species of bird is in the birdcage?
5. What do the two discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lawyer do when he is satisfied with Julian's response?
2. Where are Miss Alice and Julian? About what do they discuss?
3. How does their animosity become clearer?
4. How does the Cardinal respond to the lawyer's insults?
5. How does the butler act, when he walks in on Miss Alice and the lawyer?
6. What does the butler tell the lawyer, after he softens?
7. How does the scene end?
8. What happens when Julian leaves the room?
9. What are the lawyer and Cardinal doing, as the play begins?
10. How does this scene open? Who are the characters in this scene?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)