|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the lawyer initiate a discussion of his animosity for the Cardinal?
(a) He cannot contain his hatred.
(b) He is bored by Julian's responses.
(c) He is satisfied with Julian's information.
(d) He knows Julian is friends with the Cardinal.
2. How does Julian respond?
(a) By saying that the past six years of his life were blank but not black.
(b) He tells them all he knows about birds.
(c) That he is friends with the Cardinal.
(d) With the details of training to become a priest.
3. How does the butler feel about listening to Julian?
4. Who enters the courtyard through an iron gate and moves quietly toward the man and watches him with mild amusement?
(a) Miss Alice.
(b) The Cardinal.
(c) A lawyer.
5. What does Julian believe about his faith and his sanity?
(a) They are strong.
(b) They are two separate entities.
(c) They are one in the same.
(d) They are weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the butler share about himself with Julian?
2. Who does Julian describe as a quiet, plain woman with soft features; one year or so on either side of forty, married to the owner of a dry goods store?
3. Who does Julian say he found crying, "Help me, help me... help me, oh God, God, help me... oh help, help?"
4. What becomes clearer as the first person becomes more verbal and forthright about the second?
5. When the lawyer enters the room to join in the dialogue, what is established?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Julian and the butler say about this creation?
2. What does the Cardinal tell Julian to accept? How does Julian respond?
3. How does the butler act, when he walks in on Miss Alice and the lawyer?
4. What do the lawyer and butler do to Julian? What is Julian's response?
5. What does the butler tell the lawyer, after he softens?
6. What becomes evident about the two men? How do you know this?
7. What does Miss Alice say about Julian's memory? To what does this lead?
8. How does the lawyer respond to Miss Alice's insults?
9. What does the lawyer do when he enters?
10. What is happening to Alice as the scene begins?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)