|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Julian describe as a quiet, plain woman with soft features; one year or so on either side of forty, married to the owner of a dry goods store?
(a) His cellmate.
(b) A woman that worked at the asylum.
(c) A woman in the asylum who thinks she is the Virgin Mary.
(d) A woman he befriended.
2. Why does Miss Alice play this game?
(a) She merely wanted a little lightness to counter the gravity of their encounter, for the transfer of millions is indeed a weighty matter.
(b) She is bored.
(c) She needs some physical activity.
(d) She wants Julian to feel welcome.
3. What does the Butler point out?
(a) The crucifix is exactly perpendicular to the altar.
(b) The garden is completely symmetrical.
(c) If Julian were to look into the window of the model, an exact duplicate of the room in which they stand can be seen with every detail intact, even down to the brass candlesticks.
(d) The cardinals control the behavior of the other birds.
4. What is in massive scale?
(a) The flowers.
(b) The chairs.
(c) The room.
(d) The crosses.
5. What is said about the appropriateness of the two cardinals?
(a) There should be two in such close quarters in that particular location.
(b) They are as dull as the Cardinal.
(c) They are best friends, just like the lawyer and Cardinal.
(d) They are the same color as the Cardinal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the second person react?
2. With what is Julian not comfortable?
3. Who does Julian say he found crying, "Help me, help me... help me, oh God, God, help me... oh help, help?"
4. How does the second person make his insult more insulting?
5. Who is cooing and talking to the birds, trying to engage them to interact with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lawyer do when he is satisfied with Julian's response?
2. What happens after the lawyer backs Miss Alice against the wall?
3. How does Miss Alice begin to ensnare Julian?
4. How does this scene open? Who are the characters in this scene?
5. What does the lawyer do when he enters?
6. How does the lawyer respond to Miss Alice's insults?
7. How does the Cardinal respond to the lawyer's insults?
8. What does the butler tell Julian about himself? What is Julian's response?
9. What does Miss Alice do when Julian becomes embarrassed?
10. How does Julian feel about Miss Alice's topic of discussion? How does he respond?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)