|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Alice do when Julian tries to explain one more time that there is nothing much to tell, and it is simply a matter of his faith in God leaving him, and he committed himself to an asylum?
(a) She moves on to a new topic.
(b) She will not let go of it.
(c) She does not agree with him.
(d) She argues with him.
2. Why is Julian confused about Miss Alice's deafness, withered face, and gray and white matted hair?
(a) He wonders why she is not in a facility for the elderly.
(b) He was told by the Cardinal that the woman was neither ill nor old.
(c) He did not realize how sorry he would feel for her.
(d) He is surprised she has no nurse to assist her.
3. How does the man react at having been discovered cooing to the caged birds?
(c) Not surprised.
(d) Flustered and a bit embarrassed.
4. Why is it appropriate?
(a) They are cardinals, just like the Cardinal.
(b) Because the birds understand each other so much better than would birds of any other kind.
(c) The Cardinal is no more intelligent than a bird.
(d) The lawyer and the Cardinal are friends that have grown up in the same household.
5. What is said about the appropriateness of the two cardinals?
(a) They are the same color as the Cardinal.
(b) They are as dull as the Cardinal.
(c) There should be two in such close quarters in that particular location.
(d) They are best friends, just like the lawyer and Cardinal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most intriguing element?
2. Why does Alice want to do this for the church?
3. Why does Julian ask whether or not someone will soon be available?
4. What do the two discuss about the details of this creation?
5. Julian is intrigued by the butler's coincidence. How does the Butler feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian not understand about Miss Alice?
2. How does Julian feel about the way the conversation with the butler is going? What does he want to know?
3. What is the most intriguing element of the room?
4. How does Miss Alice begin to ensnare Julian?
5. What does Miss Alice do when Julian becomes embarrassed?
6. What do Julian and the butler say about this creation?
7. Why does Miss Alice say she played this game?
8. How does the ugly dialogue break?
9. How is Julian's behavior similar to when he was at the asylum?
10. Describe the setting.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)