|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the play open?
(a) In Miss Alice's garden.
(b) In a Catholic Church.
(c) In a mansion.
(d) In the garden of a Cardinal of the Catholic Church.
2. What does the butler do?
(a) Teases the Cardinal.
(b) Enters and agrees that the model is an extraordinary piece of work.
(c) Writes down the measurements.
(d) Dusts the model.
3. Why does Miss Alice begin a flirtatious conversation asking if he had been intimidated by herself or the lawyer, and if he had liked the butler?
(a) In order to draw him out of himself a bit.
(b) To make him feel more uncomfortable.
(c) To encourage him to leave.
(d) In order to show she cares about him.
4. Who delights in the lawyer's discomfort?
(a) Miss Alice.
(c) The Cardinal.
(d) The birds.
5. What does the Butler point out?
(a) The cardinals control the behavior of the other birds.
(b) The crucifix is exactly perpendicular to the altar.
(c) The garden is completely symmetrical.
(d) If Julian were to look into the window of the model, an exact duplicate of the room in which they stand can be seen with every detail intact, even down to the brass candlesticks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Julian say he found crying, "Help me, help me... help me, oh God, God, help me... oh help, help?"
2. Why does the lawyer initiate a discussion of his animosity for the Cardinal?
3. Not to be outdone, what does the second person sling back?
4. What would she like to do for the church for twenty years?
5. How does the butler feel about listening to Julian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian believe?
2. How does Miss Alice begin to ensnare Julian?
3. What does the lawyer do to Miss Alice, when the other two men leave?
4. What does Julian not understand about Miss Alice?
5. Why does the lawyer enter the room?
6. What does the lawyer do when he is satisfied with Julian's response?
7. How does Julian feel about the way the conversation with the butler is going? What does he want to know?
8. What becomes evident about the two men? How do you know this?
9. How does this scene end?
10. Describe the setting.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)