|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who delights in the lawyer's discomfort?
(b) The birds.
(c) The Cardinal.
(d) Miss Alice.
2. What, at last, occurs?
(a) They stop fighting and apologize.
(b) A fight.
(c) A break in this ugly dialogue.
(d) They cry and hug.
3. What does Julian say he heard on that night in the asylum?
(a) Rain falling on the roof.
(c) Cries or sobbing.
(d) Cats meowing.
4. How does the second person react?
(a) With joy.
(b) With surprise.
(c) With tears.
(d) With skepticism.
5. What does Julian believe must happen in order to make it easier for men to live?
(a) They must pray to God and confess their sins.
(b) They create a false God in their own image.
(c) They must attend church regularly.
(d) They must evangelize.
6. What do the two discuss about the details of this creation?
(a) How many birds are in the estuary.
(b) Whether or not there might be another model of the room inside the model's library, and so on and so on.
(c) Whether or not there is a more beautiful garden in the country.
(d) When the church was built.
7. What is said about the appropriateness of the two cardinals?
(a) They are the same color as the Cardinal.
(b) They are best friends, just like the lawyer and Cardinal.
(c) There should be two in such close quarters in that particular location.
(d) They are as dull as the Cardinal.
8. What is Julian?
(a) A member of the church choir.
(b) A lay brother.
(c) A priest.
(d) An evangelist.
9. How did Julian struggle?
(a) Leaving his wife and child to join the priesthood.
(b) Mentally and spiritually over the Nature of God.
(c) He felt alone growing up in the orphanage.
(d) Making friends with children at school.
10. What question does Miss Alice ask that shocks Julian?
(a) Why do you want to be a priest?
(b) Will you sleep with me?
(c) Have you slept with many women?
(d) Do you find me attractive?
11. Who enters the courtyard through an iron gate and moves quietly toward the man and watches him with mild amusement?
(b) The Cardinal.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) Miss Alice.
12. Julian says "It is God the mover, not God ______________."
(a) The frozen.
(b) The maker.
(c) The puppet.
(d) The shaker.
13. How are the periods of hallucination announced?
(a) By a ringing in the ears.
(b) The sound of choirs singing.
(d) Flashes of light.
14. Why does the lawyer initiate a discussion of his animosity for the Cardinal?
(a) He is satisfied with Julian's information.
(b) He knows Julian is friends with the Cardinal.
(c) He is bored by Julian's responses.
(d) He cannot contain his hatred.
15. What is in massive scale?
(a) The room.
(b) The chairs.
(c) The flowers.
(d) The crosses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Julian say he found crying, "Help me, help me... help me, oh God, God, help me... oh help, help?"
2. What does Miss Alice say about the chairs in the various rooms?
3. Julian is intrigued by the butler's coincidence. How does the Butler feel?
4. How does the man react at having been discovered cooing to the caged birds?
5. What would Miss Alice like to do for the church?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)