|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the conversation.
(a) It turns into a brawl.
(b) It suddenly ends.
(c) It gets even uglier.
(d) It settles down.
2. How does Miss Alice say hello?
(a) In a bright, cheery voice.
(b) In a cracked and ancient voice.
(c) In a soft, smooth voice.
(d) In a piercing, high-pitched voice.
3. How does the scene end?
(a) The lawyer goes back to talking to the birds.
(b) The lawyer, Cardinal, and Miss Alice plot.
(c) As the Cardinal coos to the birds, asking if they are able to comfort each other.
(d) Miss Alice asks the birds to help her deal with the plans she has in mind.
4. How do the two continue to insult one another?
(a) They glare at one another.
(b) They do so with swinging fists.
(c) Each man begins to question the intimate relations of the other's mother and their resulting parentage.
(d) They whisper nasty remarks under their breath.
5. What is Miss Alice's response when the lawyer proceeds to introduce Julian to her for the first time?
(a) She responds enthusiastically.
(b) She coldy offers her hand.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She does not respond.
6. What are of the expected variety in a place of this grandeur?
(a) The beautiful, rare roses.
(b) The beautiful, exotic birds flying about.
(c) A great arched doorway and the furnishings.
(d) The hand-embroidered banners hanging along the walls.
7. What, at last, occurs?
(a) A break in this ugly dialogue.
(b) A fight.
(c) They stop fighting and apologize.
(d) They cry and hug.
8. Why does Miss Alice play this game?
(a) She merely wanted a little lightness to counter the gravity of their encounter, for the transfer of millions is indeed a weighty matter.
(b) She is bored.
(c) She wants Julian to feel welcome.
(d) She needs some physical activity.
9. What does Julian believe about his faith and his sanity?
(a) They are one in the same.
(b) They are two separate entities.
(c) They are weak.
(d) They are strong.
10. What is feminine, but not frilly, decorated in shades of blue?
(a) The carriage.
(b) An upstairs sitting room of the castle.
(c) The dining room.
(d) Miss Alice's dress.
11. " God the creator, not the God _______________," he says.
(a) Who destroys.
(b) Created by man.
(c) Who hates.
(d) Of creation.
12. About what do the lawyer and butler relentlessly question Julian?
(a) His background.
(b) His training in the priesthood.
(c) His relationship with the Cardinal.
(d) His interest in birds.
13. What does the butler do at the sound of the chime?
(a) He leaves the room.
(b) He answers the door.
(c) He tells Julian it is time to leave.
(d) He moves to escort Julian to see Miss Alice.
14. Over what do the two original characters banter a while longer?
(a) The vice that money can be.
(b) Their careers.
(c) Each other's childhood nicknames.
(d) Miss Alice's purpose for her donation.
15. How does the second person make his insult more insulting?
(a) She throws more mud.
(b) He throws more mud.
(c) He draws it out in his speech dramatically.
(d) He makes the same comment over and over again.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Julian struggle?
2. Why is Julian part of this trio?
3. Julian is intrigued by the butler's coincidence. How does the Butler feel?
4. How does Julian respond to Miss Alice's game?
5. Why does Miss Alice begin a flirtatious conversation asking if he had been intimidated by herself or the lawyer, and if he had liked the butler?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)