|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian find ironic about staying in the section of the asylum that is for people who are only mildly troubled?
(a) Those staying in this section had no mental illness.
(b) Most of the people there have severe mental illness.
(c) He never considered the fleeing of faith a mild matter.
(d) All mental illness is serious.
2. What would she like to do for the church for twenty years?
(a) Make a new robe for the priest every year.
(b) Give one hundred million dollars a year.
(c) Teach Sunday school every week.
(d) Spend one day a month working for a charity.
3. Julian is intrigued by the butler's coincidence. How does the Butler feel?
(b) Nonplussed about almost everything.
(c) Unsure about Julian.
(d) Just as excited.
4. What question does Miss Alice ask that shocks Julian?
(a) Do you find me attractive?
(b) Will you sleep with me?
(c) Have you slept with many women?
(d) Why do you want to be a priest?
5. Why does the lawyer comment to Miss Alice, "that will be our bird of prey?"
(a) To the birds flying around outside.
(b) To a knock at the door.
(c) To the butler eavesdropping.
(d) The Cardinal's innocence.
6. What does Julian believe must happen in order to make it easier for men to live?
(a) They must pray to God and confess their sins.
(b) They create a false God in their own image.
(c) They must attend church regularly.
(d) They must evangelize.
7. How does Julian describe his loss of faith?
(a) He let contact with his faith slip away, seeding a deep sadness.
(b) It was a slow, gradual, and painful loss.
(c) He woke up one morning and no longer had faith.
(d) He lost his faith when his parents died.
8. How does the second person react?
(a) With tears.
(b) With joy.
(c) With skepticism.
(d) With surprise.
9. Why is Julian part of this trio?
(a) They want Julian to feel comfortable around them.
(b) The lawyer has such disdain for the Cardinal that the lawyer does not want the Cardinal's personal participation in the activities related to Miss Alice's grant to the church.
(c) Julian would make a good addition to their group.
(d) They believe Miss Alice would enjoy his company.
10. What is said about the appropriateness of the two cardinals?
(a) They are best friends, just like the lawyer and Cardinal.
(b) There should be two in such close quarters in that particular location.
(c) They are the same color as the Cardinal.
(d) They are as dull as the Cardinal.
11. How does Julian respond to Miss Alice's game?
(a) With astonishment.
(b) With anger.
(c) With desire.
(d) With embarrassment.
12. What does the first man do in an attempt to fend off his feelings about being caught?
(a) He argues with the Cardinal.
(b) He overcompensates with his behavior toward the Cardinal, kneeling to kiss his ring and addressing him in the third person to keep the situation and conversation impersonal.
(c) He begs the Cardinal to leave him alone.
(d) He runs away.
13. What does the first man not leave without?
(a) Hugging the second man.
(b) Making a rude comment to Miss Alice.
(c) Kissing Miss Alice on the cheek.
(d) A snide comment or two.
14. Who was Saint Francis?
(a) A man who hunted wild animals.
(b) A martyr burned at the stake.
(c) A friend to all animals who often talked to creatures, even birds of the sky.
(d) A pope.
15. What does Julian say when Miss Alice invites him to talk about himself?
(a) He says nothing.
(b) He is very self deprecating and defers to the background information they already have on him, complete with the missing six blank years.
(c) He is open and honest.
(d) He gladly tells her his life story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is cooing and talking to the birds, trying to engage them to interact with him?
2. What does Julian say he heard on that night in the asylum?
3. What does the butler share about himself with Julian?
4. What is Miss Alice's response when Julian tries to explain to her that he wondered if he imagined so many things or whether so many things he thought had come to play in his imagination?
5. What will Julian do for Miss Alice?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)