|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the butler share about himself with Julian?
(a) He is at Julian's service.
(b) He does not enjoy being a butler.
(c) His name is also Julian.
(d) His name, as well as his occupation, is Butler.
2. What does Julian find ironic about staying in the section of the asylum that is for people who are only mildly troubled?
(a) He never considered the fleeing of faith a mild matter.
(b) Those staying in this section had no mental illness.
(c) Most of the people there have severe mental illness.
(d) All mental illness is serious.
3. Why does the lawyer comment to Miss Alice, "that will be our bird of prey?"
(a) To a knock at the door.
(b) To the butler eavesdropping.
(c) To the birds flying around outside.
(d) The Cardinal's innocence.
4. What is said about the appropriateness of the two cardinals?
(a) There should be two in such close quarters in that particular location.
(b) They are the same color as the Cardinal.
(c) They are best friends, just like the lawyer and Cardinal.
(d) They are as dull as the Cardinal.
5. When the lawyer enters the room to join in the dialogue, what is established?
(a) Julian is a priest.
(b) Julian is not ordained.
(c) The lawyer and the butler are brothers.
(d) The lawyer and the butler are friends.
6. " God the creator, not the God _______________," he says.
(a) Created by man.
(b) Who destroys.
(c) Who hates.
(d) Of creation.
7. What does the first man insinuate about the second man?
(a) An inappropriate relationship between the Cardinal and his assistant.
(b) The inappropriate relationship between the lawyer and Miss Alice.
(c) The inappropriate relationship between the Cardinal and Miss Alice.
(d) The inappropriate relationship between Miss Alice and the assistant.
8. What would she like to do for the church for twenty years?
(a) Teach Sunday school every week.
(b) Make a new robe for the priest every year.
(c) Spend one day a month working for a charity.
(d) Give one hundred million dollars a year.
9. Who delights in the lawyer's discomfort?
(a) Miss Alice.
(b) The birds.
(c) The Cardinal.
10. How do the two continue to insult one another?
(a) They glare at one another.
(b) They do so with swinging fists.
(c) They whisper nasty remarks under their breath.
(d) Each man begins to question the intimate relations of the other's mother and their resulting parentage.
11. Why would Julian ask a nurse or one of the attendants, "Could you tell me, did I preach last night?"
(a) To make sure he had arrived to preach.
(b) To sort out his imaginings from what was real.
(c) To see what they thought about it.
(d) He wanted to know what he had preached.
12. What does the first man not leave without?
(a) Kissing Miss Alice on the cheek.
(b) Making a rude comment to Miss Alice.
(c) A snide comment or two.
(d) Hugging the second man.
13. What does the first man do in an attempt to fend off his feelings about being caught?
(a) He overcompensates with his behavior toward the Cardinal, kneeling to kiss his ring and addressing him in the third person to keep the situation and conversation impersonal.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He argues with the Cardinal.
(d) He begs the Cardinal to leave him alone.
14. Why does the lawyer initiate a discussion of his animosity for the Cardinal?
(a) He is satisfied with Julian's information.
(b) He is bored by Julian's responses.
(c) He knows Julian is friends with the Cardinal.
(d) He cannot contain his hatred.
15. What will Julian do for Miss Alice?
(a) Train her to be a priest.
(b) Love her.
(c) Take care of the menial details of her philanthropic bargain.
(d) Allow her to stay in her home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julian ask whether or not someone will soon be available?
2. How does the scene end?
3. Where does this scene open?
4. About what do they continue to rib each other?
5. How does Julian respond?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)