|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Miss Alice's response when Julian tries to explain to her that he wondered if he imagined so many things or whether so many things he thought had come to play in his imagination?
(a) She finds him a perfect candidate for the priesthood.
(b) She thinks he is still insane.
(c) She wants to take him back to the asylum.
(d) She suggests that he may just be describing what passes for sanity.
2. How does Julian respond to Miss Alice's game?
(a) With embarrassment.
(b) With desire.
(c) With anger.
(d) With astonishment.
3. What becomes clearer as the first person becomes more verbal and forthright about the second?
(a) The love.
(b) The connection between the two.
(c) The curiosity.
(d) The animosity.
4. What would she like to do for the church for twenty years?
(a) Make a new robe for the priest every year.
(b) Teach Sunday school every week.
(c) Give one hundred million dollars a year.
(d) Spend one day a month working for a charity.
5. What would Miss Alice like to do for the church?
(a) Donate her time to a charity.
(b) Give a huge donation.
(c) Make new clothing for the priests.
(d) Teach Sunday school.
6. How are the periods of hallucination announced?
(b) Flashes of light.
(c) By a ringing in the ears.
(d) The sound of choirs singing.
7. What question does Miss Alice ask that shocks Julian?
(a) Why do you want to be a priest?
(b) Will you sleep with me?
(c) Have you slept with many women?
(d) Do you find me attractive?
8. Why does Miss Alice play this game?
(a) She wants Julian to feel welcome.
(b) She merely wanted a little lightness to counter the gravity of their encounter, for the transfer of millions is indeed a weighty matter.
(c) She needs some physical activity.
(d) She is bored.
9. Why is Julian confused about Miss Alice's deafness, withered face, and gray and white matted hair?
(a) He is surprised she has no nurse to assist her.
(b) He was told by the Cardinal that the woman was neither ill nor old.
(c) He did not realize how sorry he would feel for her.
(d) He wonders why she is not in a facility for the elderly.
10. What happens to the conversation.
(a) It settles down.
(b) It gets even uglier.
(c) It suddenly ends.
(d) It turns into a brawl.
11. What, at last, occurs?
(a) A break in this ugly dialogue.
(b) They cry and hug.
(c) They stop fighting and apologize.
(d) A fight.
12. How does the man react at having been discovered cooing to the caged birds?
(c) Flustered and a bit embarrassed.
(d) Not surprised.
13. Why does Alice want to do this for the church?
(a) She loves to sew.
(b) She is burdened with too much wealth.
(c) She wants to give back to the needy.
(d) She loves children.
14. How does this observer address the man who is cooing at the birds?
(a) Saint Francis.
(c) Saint Michael.
15. What does the first man not leave without?
(a) A snide comment or two.
(b) Hugging the second man.
(c) Making a rude comment to Miss Alice.
(d) Kissing Miss Alice on the cheek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delights in the lawyer's discomfort?
2. About what do the lawyer and butler relentlessly question Julian?
3. How does the scene end?
4. Julian is intrigued by the butler's coincidence. How does the Butler feel?
5. How does Miss Alice challenge Julian?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)