|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George dream is biting his hand as he lay in his parents' bed after getting stitches in Chapter 2?
2. What are the names of George's two daughters?
3. What historic people does Howard think of as he watches George set aflame the funeral pyre for the mouse in Chapter 2?
4. What sport does Ezra Morrell love and follow?
5. What color is Kathleen's hair described as in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the natural phenomenon of lightning used as a metaphor in Chapter 1?
2. How does Howard find George after he's run away from home in Chapter 2, Part 2? What are his thoughts upon finding his son?
3. What is signified by Howard's action of building a fire after his seizure in Chapter 1, Part 2?
4. What is ironic about George's role within his family, as illustrated in Chapter 2, Part 2?
5. Where does George go when he runs away from home in Chapter 2, Part 2? What does he take with him?
6. Why do you think the author has constructed Tinkers with a nonlinear timeline? Why does he shift the narrative between Howard and George's stories in Chapter 1?
7. What does George think about as he begins his chores on Monday in Chapter 2, Part 1? What does Howard think about?
8. What relationship does George Washington Crosby have with clocks in the novel? How did this relationship begin?
9. What does the doctor say after examining George's injury in Chapter 2, Part 2?
10. When is the only occurrence when George witnesses firsthand one of his father's seizures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of abandonment and loss in Tinkers. How does Howard’s sense of loss over his father later influence his own actions? How does Howard’s loss compare with George’s? Do these losses build upon one another?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Reverend and Mrs. Crosby in Tinkers. How old are Rev. Crosby and Mrs. Crosby in Howard’s flashbacks to his father’s mental deterioration? What kind of relationship do they have with their son? What do you think are the causes of Reverend Crosby’s collapse?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unseen character of Tom Budden and the story about Budden’s house in Chapter 2. Why does the author include this story in Tinkers? What does the door to Tom Budden’s house represent symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)