|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are waiting outside when Howard's father is taken away in Chapter 3?
2. What does the narrator describe opening in 1953 in Chapter 4?
(a) The World's Fair.
(b) The new interstate highway.
(c) Disney World.
(d) The first Four Seasons Hotel.
3. What word from Chapter 4 refers to an instrument that is pointed and pen-shaped used in artwork?
4. Who helps Ed Titcomb carry Howard out of the woods in a canvas tent in Chapter 3?
(a) Tom Budden.
(b) Ezra Morell.
(c) Dan Cooper.
(d) Rafe Sanders.
5. What year is it when Howard dies in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. At how many different banks has George kept safety deposit boxes, according to the narrator in Chapter 4?
2. Edward Billings is the manager of what bank frequented by George?
3. What word in Chapter 3 refers to a repository for relics?
4. Of his parents, Howard says in Chapter 3, "That he and my mother should wrestle him into his clothes in the dark seemed" what?
5. What is the name of the wheat planter in Roman times that is described in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Howard's loss of his own father later influence his actions with his wife and children?
2. How does the theme of competition apply to the characters of Howard and Reverend Crosby?
3. How would you describe the language style of Tinkers? Is the language easy to understand?
4. Where does Howard go to search for his father after Reverend Crosby's disappearance in Chapter 3?
5. What is symbolic about the descriptions of Reverend Crosby fading from Howard's vision in Chapter 3, Part 1?
6. Where does Megan go during the Christmas holidays in 1953? What does Howard do after she leaves?
7. How is the disappearance of Reverend Crosby described in Chapter 3, Part 1? How does Howard's mother address the issue?
8. What is the significance of the title of Tinkers? Who does this term apply to in the novel?
9. How is Howard's death described in Chapter 4? What is this description juxtaposed against?
10. What is epilepsy? How was this disorder treated in the 1920s/1930s?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)