|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does the green sea turn in the excerpt from Chapter 4 called "Homo Borealis"?
2. What religion is Megan's mother said to be in Chapter 4?
3. What velvet-antlered animals are described in the "Cometa Borealis" excerpt in Chapter 4?
(b) Mule deer.
(d) White-tailed deer.
4. Who does Howard describe paddling a canoe through the woods behind his family's house just before his father is taken away in Chapter 3?
(c) Old Red.
(d) Old Sabbatis.
5. What word used in Chapter 3 means characterized by low buffoonery?
Short Answer Questions
1. At how many different banks has George kept safety deposit boxes, according to the narrator in Chapter 4?
2. What is Howard's mother doing when he returns from the woods after having his first seizure in Chapter 3?
3. The narrator says in the opening of Chapter 4, "During the days, George was aware of a large group of people murmuring and flowing in and out of the room as if on tides." What literary device is used in this sentence?
4. What book is Howard reading on the night he dies?
5. What were Ed Titcomb and his friend doing when they came upon Howard in the woods in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the language style of Tinkers? Is the language easy to understand?
2. How does Howard's medical condition change after he moves away and begins living under an alias?
3. How would you describe George's relationship with his family as he passes from life in Tinkers?
4. How does the theme of competition apply to the characters and relationship of George and Howard Crosby in Tinkers?
5. How is the disappearance of Reverend Crosby described in Chapter 3, Part 1? How does Howard's mother address the issue?
6. Where does Megan go during the Christmas holidays in 1953? What does Howard do after she leaves?
7. How did Howard's loss of his own father later influence his actions with his wife and children?
8. How has Howard managed to track down George's address in Chapter 4? What does he do when he locates George?
9. How are George's finances described in Chapter 4, Part 1? Why does George concern himself with his finances?
10. How do George's memories of his father relate to the theme of rites of passage in Tinkers?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)