|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Edward Billings pay George to repair the clock at the bank in Chapter 4?
2. The Zulu people that are mentioned in the novel are an ethnic group from where?
(a) South America.
(b) Northern Africa.
(c) Eastern Europe.
(d) Southern Africa.
3. What book is cited with the description of the inner workings of a clock in Chapter 4?
(a) The Time of Finding Time.
(b) The Reasonable Horologist.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) The Old Man and the Sea.
4. What is the principle motif that reappears throughout Tinkers?
(c) School desks.
5. How much money is hidden in George's workbench downstairs in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is referred to in Chapter 4 as "that part of a clock which keeps time"?
2. What clock on the wall is "worth ten times more than [George had] ever told anyone," according to the narrator in Chapter 4?
3. What does Howard witness his father trying to grab from a barrel during his mental decline in Chapter 3?
4. What word from Chapter 3 means characterized by length of speech or wordiness, or scattered?
5. Who does Howard describe paddling a canoe through the woods behind his family's house just before his father is taken away in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characters are introduced during Howard's journey to search for his father in Chapter 3, Part 2?
2. How would you compare the "disappearances" of Reverend Crosby and Howard Crosby in the novel?
3. How are George's finances described in Chapter 4, Part 1? Why does George concern himself with his finances?
4. What is the principle motif used throughout Tinkers? What does this motif represent?
5. How does Howard's medical condition change after he moves away and begins living under an alias?
6. How did Howard's loss of his own father later influence his actions with his wife and children?
7. What hallucinations does Howard experience in Tagg Pond in Chapter 3, Part 2?
8. Who comes to visit George in the opening of Chapter 4? What does this character do during her visit?
9. How has Howard managed to track down George's address in Chapter 4? What does he do when he locates George?
10. How would you describe George's relationship with his family as he passes from life in Tinkers?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)