|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how old is George as he lay dying in the novel?
2. Whose neighboring corn field does Howard pass through as he looks for his father in the woods in Chapter 3?
(a) The Gaspars' corn field.
(b) The Petersons' corn field.
(c) The Andrews' corn field.
(d) The Williams' corn field.
3. What historical figure is Howard studying in history when his father goes to the meeting regarding his mental deterioration in Chapter 3?
(a) Henry VIII.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(d) Ben Franklyn.
4. What food does Megan prepare for Howard before she leaves to care for her mother over Christmas in Chapter 4?
(a) Roasted turkey and apple pie.
(b) Tuna casserole and peach cobbler.
(c) Roasted lamb and new potatoes.
(d) Meatloaf and banana cream pie.
5. What does Howard witness a fish do as he sits in the pond watching the Indian in Chapter 3?
(a) A fish leaps onto land and walks away.
(b) A fish leaps from the water and flies away.
(c) A fish transforms into an ostrich.
(d) A fish jumps down the Indian's throat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when Howard dies in Chapter 4?
2. How many triangles should you cut in order to make a bird's nest, according to the narrative in Chapter 4?
3. Where does George live in 1953?
4. What word from Chapter 4 means serving as a relief?
5. What word from Chapter 3 means characterized by length of speech or wordiness, or scattered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to visit George in the opening of Chapter 4? What does this character do during her visit?
2. How would you compare the "disappearances" of Reverend Crosby and Howard Crosby in the novel?
3. How do George's memories of his father relate to the theme of rites of passage in Tinkers?
4. How is Howard's death described in Chapter 4? What is this description juxtaposed against?
5. What regret does Howard display regarding his father in the beginning of Chapter 3?
6. How does Howard's medical condition change after he moves away and begins living under an alias?
7. What characters are introduced during Howard's journey to search for his father in Chapter 3, Part 2?
8. What alias does Howard Crosby take on after he leaves his family? Where does he go?
9. Whom does George ask for when he awakens in Chapter 4, Part 1? Who is sitting with George?
10. How did Howard's loss of his own father later influence his actions with his wife and children?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)