|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many triangles should you cut in order to make a bird's nest, according to the narrative in Chapter 4?
2. Of his parents, Howard says in Chapter 3, "That he and my mother should wrestle him into his clothes in the dark seemed" what?
(a) Furtive and awful.
(b) Amusing and playful.
(d) Illogical and strange.
3. Edward Billings is the manager of what bank frequented by George?
(a) The Rochester County Bank.
(b) The Bank of America.
(c) The Rollins-Dunn Bank.
(d) The Salem Five Bank.
4. Approximately how old is George as he lay dying in the novel?
5. What is the name of the grocery store where Howard works in 1953?
(a) A & P.
(b) Piggly Wiggly.
6. What word used in Chapter 3 means concerned with relatively minor, irrelevant, or superficial aspects of something?
7. What shoes does Howard wear when he goes into the woods to look for his father after he's been taken away in Chapter 3?
(a) His brother's sneakers.
(b) His father's boots.
(c) His mother's slippers.
(d) His rain boots.
8. Who does Howard believe the Indian to be that he sees in the pond in Chapter 3?
(a) Old Sabbatis.
(b) Old Red.
(c) Tom Budden.
(d) Dan Cooper.
9. What does the narrator describe opening in 1953 in Chapter 4?
(a) The first Four Seasons Hotel.
(b) Disney World.
(c) The World's Fair.
(d) The new interstate highway.
10. What part of a clock is described in Chapter 4 as "where the energy generated by the mainspring finally escapes the clock"?
(a) The gathering mallet.
(b) The pinion.
(c) The going train.
(d) The escapement.
11. Howard says the following in Chapter 3: "My mother opened the outside door and the light came in and carved every object in the kitchen into an ancient relic." What literary device is used in this sentence?
(d) Literary allusion.
12. What alias does Howard Crosby take on when he moves to Philadelphia?
(a) Aaron Finn.
(b) Aaron Lightfoot.
(c) Andrew Cobbler.
(d) Aaron Lightman.
13. What year is it when Howard dies in Chapter 4?
14. The narrator says in Chapter 3 as Howard searches the woods for his father, "The tom-tom tap of a pileated woodpecker sounded from somewhere in the woods, to Howard's left." What literary device is used in this sentence?
(d) Literary allusion.
15. Where does Howard stop and sleep on his way to visit George in 1953?
(a) New Hampshire.
(b) Rhode Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Ed Titcomb carry Howard out of the woods in a canvas tent in Chapter 3?
2. What is Howard's mother doing when he returns from the woods after having his first seizure in Chapter 3?
3. What does Howard witness a fish do as he sits in the pond watching the Indian in Chapter 3?
4. What kind of car does Howard borrow from Jimmy Drizos in Chapter 4?
5. What does Howard describe his father doing all of the time in Howard's childhood in Chapter 3?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)