|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Edward Billings is the manager of what bank frequented by George?
(a) The Rollins-Dunn Bank.
(b) The Salem Five Bank.
(c) The Rochester County Bank.
(d) The Bank of America.
2. What are the men wearing as they wait outside to take Howard's father away in Chapter 3?
(a) Blue hospital uniforms.
(b) White coats and hats.
(c) Blue coats and hats.
(d) Black coats and hats.
3. The Zulu people that are mentioned in the novel are an ethnic group from where?
(a) Northern Africa.
(b) South America.
(c) Eastern Europe.
(d) Southern Africa.
4. What is the name of the middle-aged teller that George gives his payment to after repairing the clock for Mr. Billings in Chapter 4?
5. What book is cited with the description of the inner workings of a clock in Chapter 4?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) The Time of Finding Time.
(c) The Reasonable Horologist.
(d) The Old Man and the Sea.
6. Howard says of his father in Chapter 3, "The world fell away from my father the way he fell away from us. We became" what?
(a) His regret.
(b) His dream.
(c) His suffering.
(d) His ghost.
7. When Howard's mother helps his father dress before he is taken away in Chapter 3, Howard describes it as appearing as though she is dressing what?
(a) A child.
(b) A puppy.
(c) An otter.
(d) A scarecrow.
8. Who helps Ed Titcomb carry Howard out of the woods in a canvas tent in Chapter 3?
(a) Tom Budden.
(b) Rafe Sanders.
(c) Dan Cooper.
(d) Ezra Morell.
9. The narrator says in Chapter 4, "The escapement on a clock consists of a collar on a pinion, called" what?
(a) A pallet.
(b) A nucleus.
(c) A privet.
(d) An electron.
10. How many triangles should you cut in order to make a bird's nest, according to the narrative in Chapter 4?
11. What word used in Chapter 3 means characterized by low buffoonery?
12. What is the principle motif that reappears throughout Tinkers?
(a) School desks.
13. Around what year does Howard say the local Indian died or disappeared during his childhood in Chapter 3?
14. For how long does Howard's mother insist he not speak in order for his tongue to heal after his first seizure in Chapter 3?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 month.
15. What year is it when Howard dies in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 4 refers to an instrument that is pointed and pen-shaped used in artwork?
2. What historical figure is Howard studying in history when his father goes to the meeting regarding his mental deterioration in Chapter 3?
3. George reveals that he has an inscribed first edition printing of what novel in one of his safety deposit boxes in Chapter 4?
4. What book is Howard reading on the night he dies?
5. What is referred to in Chapter 4 as "that part of a clock which keeps time"?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)