|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Howard witness his father trying to grab from a barrel during his mental decline in Chapter 3?
(a) An apple.
(b) A gun.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A loaf of bread.
2. Where does Howard stop and sleep on his way to visit George in 1953?
(b) Rhode Island.
(d) New Hampshire.
3. What alias does Howard Crosby take on when he moves to Philadelphia?
(a) Aaron Lightman.
(b) Aaron Lightfoot.
(c) Andrew Cobbler.
(d) Aaron Finn.
4. What is the name of the middle-aged teller that George gives his payment to after repairing the clock for Mr. Billings in Chapter 4?
5. Who helps Ed Titcomb carry Howard out of the woods in a canvas tent in Chapter 3?
(a) Tom Budden.
(b) Ezra Morell.
(c) Rafe Sanders.
(d) Dan Cooper.
6. Who does Howard believe the Indian to be that he sees in the pond in Chapter 3?
(a) Tom Budden.
(b) Old Red.
(c) Dan Cooper.
(d) Old Sabbatis.
7. What word used in Chapter 3 refers to a didactic story which illustrates instructive lessons or principles?
8. Who are George's daughters that sit with him and his wife at dinner as Howard rings the bell in 1953?
(a) Kathleen and Sarah.
(b) Betsy and Claire.
(c) Elizabeth and Marie.
(d) Anna and Mary.
9. What are the men wearing as they wait outside to take Howard's father away in Chapter 3?
(a) White coats and hats.
(b) Blue coats and hats.
(c) Blue hospital uniforms.
(d) Black coats and hats.
10. What kind of car does Howard borrow from Jimmy Drizos in Chapter 4?
(a) A Ford sedan.
(b) A Chevy pickup.
(c) A Ford pickup.
(d) A VW bus.
11. What word used in Chapter 4 refers to incised carving, or ornamentation with a figure or design sunk below the surface?
12. What is the only traditional item of clothing that the Indian wears who grew up living on an island in the lake, according to the narrator in Chapter 3?
(a) A feather headdress.
(b) A fur cape.
(d) A wampum.
13. Around what year does Howard say the local Indian died or disappeared during his childhood in Chapter 3?
14. What color does the green sea turn in the excerpt from Chapter 4 called "Homo Borealis"?
15. What has George worked at filling his safety deposit boxes full of, according to the narrator in Chapter 4?
(a) Customer invoices.
(b) Hundred dollar bills.
(c) Diamond jewelry.
(d) Gold watches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the grocery store where Howard works in 1953?
2. Where does Megan go to tend to her ill mother in 1953?
3. Howard says the following in Chapter 3: "My mother opened the outside door and the light came in and carved every object in the kitchen into an ancient relic." What literary device is used in this sentence?
4. For how long does Howard's mother insist he not speak in order for his tongue to heal after his first seizure in Chapter 3?
5. What does the narrator describe opening in 1953 in Chapter 4?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)