|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word used to describe the Indian in Chapter 3 means relating to a former or more primitive type?
2. What month is it when Howard dies in Chapter 4?
3. What kind of car does Howard borrow from Jimmy Drizos in Chapter 4?
(a) A Ford sedan.
(b) A VW bus.
(c) A Ford pickup.
(d) A Chevy pickup.
4. Of his father and of the old Indian that repaired the canoe, Howard says in Chapter 3, "My memories of them are" what?
5. What alias does Howard Crosby take on when he moves to Philadelphia?
(a) Aaron Finn.
(b) Andrew Cobbler.
(c) Aaron Lightfoot.
(d) Aaron Lightman.
6. Who does Howard describe paddling a canoe through the woods behind his family's house just before his father is taken away in Chapter 3?
(a) Old Red.
(c) Old Sabbatis.
7. Where in the house does Howard's mother dress his father before his father is taken away?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In his bedroom.
(c) In the parlor.
(d) In the basement.
8. How much money does Edward Billings pay George to repair the clock at the bank in Chapter 4?
9. Where does Howard stop and sleep on his way to visit George in 1953?
(c) Rhode Island.
(d) New Hampshire.
10. What is Howard's father's profession?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a policeman.
(c) He is a reverend.
(d) He is a senator.
11. What word from Chapter 4 refers to an instrument that is pointed and pen-shaped used in artwork?
12. What year is it when Howard dies in Chapter 4?
13. What part of a clock is described in Chapter 4 as "where the energy generated by the mainspring finally escapes the clock"?
(a) The pinion.
(b) The escapement.
(c) The going train.
(d) The gathering mallet.
14. What is the name of the grocery store where Howard works in 1953?
(c) A & P.
(d) Piggly Wiggly.
15. Around what year does Howard say the local Indian died or disappeared during his childhood in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has George worked at filling his safety deposit boxes full of, according to the narrator in Chapter 4?
2. What does Howard's mother cook for breakfast the morning after Howard's father has been taken away in Chapter 3?
3. What does Howard witness his father trying to grab from a barrel during his mental decline in Chapter 3?
4. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a circle of the earth passing through the poles and the observer's zenith?
5. What clock on the wall is "worth ten times more than [George had] ever told anyone," according to the narrator in Chapter 4?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)