|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food does Megan prepare for Howard before she leaves to care for her mother over Christmas in Chapter 4?
(a) Meatloaf and banana cream pie.
(b) Tuna casserole and peach cobbler.
(c) Roasted turkey and apple pie.
(d) Roasted lamb and new potatoes.
2. The term "moors" from the novel was used in Europe to describe what group of people?
(a) Asian people.
(c) Native American people.
3. What has George worked at filling his safety deposit boxes full of, according to the narrator in Chapter 4?
(a) Gold watches.
(b) Diamond jewelry.
(c) Hundred dollar bills.
(d) Customer invoices.
4. What part of a clock is described in Chapter 4 as "where the energy generated by the mainspring finally escapes the clock"?
(a) The pinion.
(b) The going train.
(c) The escapement.
(d) The gathering mallet.
5. What shoes does Howard wear when he goes into the woods to look for his father after he's been taken away in Chapter 3?
(a) His mother's slippers.
(b) His brother's sneakers.
(c) His rain boots.
(d) His father's boots.
6. What velvet-antlered animals are described in the "Cometa Borealis" excerpt in Chapter 4?
(a) White-tailed deer.
(d) Mule deer.
7. What word from Chapter 3 means characterized by length of speech or wordiness, or scattered?
8. What does Howard witness his father trying to grab from a barrel during his mental decline in Chapter 3?
(a) An apple.
(b) A gun.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A kitten.
9. Where did the local Indian work for many summers cutting wood, according to the narrator in Chapter 3?
(a) The Blueberry Bed and Breakfast.
(b) The Great Western Hotel.
(c) The North Carry Hotel.
(d) Mrs. Butter's Boarding House.
10. What word used in Chapter 3 means characterized by low buffoonery?
11. What is Howard's mother doing when he returns from the woods after having his first seizure in Chapter 3?
(a) Darning socks.
(b) Talking to her mother on the phone.
(c) Reading the newspaper.
(d) Speaking with the police.
12. What kind of car is Nikki Bocheki driving when he visits George in Chapter 4?
(a) A black Rolls Royce.
(b) A blue Jeep.
(c) A mint-green Cadillac.
(d) A red Alfa Romeo.
13. Who does Howard believe the Indian to be that he sees in the pond in Chapter 3?
(a) Dan Cooper.
(b) Old Sabbatis.
(c) Old Red.
(d) Tom Budden.
14. The Zulu people that are mentioned in the novel are an ethnic group from where?
(a) South America.
(b) Northern Africa.
(c) Eastern Europe.
(d) Southern Africa.
15. What is the name of the grocery store where Howard works in 1953?
(a) A & P.
(b) Piggly Wiggly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Megan go to tend to her ill mother in 1953?
2. When Howard's mother helps his father dress before he is taken away in Chapter 3, Howard describes it as appearing as though she is dressing what?
3. What word used by Howard in Chapter 3 means anxious or concerned?
4. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a circle of the earth passing through the poles and the observer's zenith?
5. Around what year does Howard say the local Indian died or disappeared during his childhood in Chapter 3?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)