|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Part 1 (pages 71-90).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the autograph dated in the novel that Howard receives as a gift from the hermit in Chapter 1?
2. The narrator says of Kathleen in Chapter 2, "Only her face is visible above the top of the bedcovers. It glows like a pale egg." What literary device is used in this example?
3. Of Kathleen's strict demeanor, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "She could not live with herself if she allowed herself to believe that she treated her own this way because she felt no more connected to them than she would to" what?
(a) A pile of dirt.
(b) A pet dog.
(c) A collection of stones.
(d) A Christmas goose.
4. What is the name of Howard's family's cat in Chapter 2?
5. What author did the hermit whose tooth Howard pulls attend college with, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Percy Shelley.
(c) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(d) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of George's sister that runs shrieking into the house whenever she sees wasps or spiders when they are young?
2. What month is it every year when Howard meets with the hermit in Chapter 1?
3. Where did the hermit whose tooth Howard pulls attend college?
4. What is the name of the bootlegger that Howard sells five gallons of homemade whiskey for as an odd job?
5. What is Howard's middle name?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)