|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Part 1 (pages 157-176).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator describe as having gone mad and lit his house on fire, killing himself and a woman with two children, in Chapter 2?
(a) Ray Morell.
(b) Dan Cooper.
(c) Tom Budden.
(d) Kenner Davenport.
2. What is the first step in the excerpt called "How to Make a Bird's Nest" in Chapter 4?
(a) Take a wafer of tinker's tin.
(b) Take a piece of yarn.
(c) Take a piece of rotten cardboard.
(d) Punch holes near the base of the triangle.
3. Nikki Bocheki is described in Chapter 4 as an acquaintance of George's from where?
(a) The Unitarian church.
(b) The butcher shop.
(c) The police station.
(d) The Synagogue.
4. What word used in Chapter 3 means concerned with relatively minor, irrelevant, or superficial aspects of something?
5. The narrator says of Howard in Chapter 2, "He resented his resentment because it was a sign of" what?
(a) His own father's resentment.
(b) His own limitations of spirit and humility.
(c) Apathy for the world as it spun around him.
(d) His own loss of faith in the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the neighbors that Howard goes to in order to borrow a horse to look for George after he's run away in Chapter 2?
2. What does Howard describe his father doing all of the time in Howard's childhood in Chapter 3?
3. What ailment does Howard suffer from?
4. What historic people does Howard think of as he watches George set aflame the funeral pyre for the mouse in Chapter 2?
5. Who does Howard believe the Indian to be that he sees in the pond in Chapter 3?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)