|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person who does put their hands up when the Russians invade?
2. Who is at the hospital celebrating Oskar's birthday?
3. Who does Oskar ask out on a date?
4. Why is Hedwig almost shot?
5. In Chapter 34, how many people are on the freight car with Maria, Kurt, and Oskar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oskar feed his fascination with Sister Dorothea?
2. How does Oskar tell Klepp his life story?
3. What is the attitude of Sister Dorothea when she first meets Oskar?
4. How does Oskar feel about Klepp after he becomes a member of the Communist party?
5. What is the scene like at the hospital on Oskar's 30th birthday?
6. What extreme measure does Oskar take in an attempt to win Maria's heart?
7. What are three main characteristics of Oskar's friend Klepp?
8. What happens when Billy is overcome with tears?
9. What does the Rottweiler do for Oskar?
10. What does Oskar eventually tell Vittler to do with the ring and the finger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it suggested that Matzerath was not Oskar's father but rather Bronski was. Who do you think was Oskar's real father? Provide evidence from the book to support your answer. Do you think this suspicion was Oskar's alone of did other characters also suspect this? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What does Oskar's drum represent? Is it possible that Oskar affected so many people and events with his small toy drum?
Essay Topic 3
War is an underlying theme in this book. How does the author discuss the war? Does this description provide an adequate background for the story?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)