|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oskar's landlord resemble?
2. What do Oskar and Klepp put in the hall of the boarding house?
3. What words does Oskar use to describe the finger?
4. What is Maria's reply when Oskar asks her to marry him?
5. When does Willie lose interest in Miss Pioch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Oskar when he finds the leather belt in Sister Dorothea's room?
2. What type of portraits does Oskar model for?
3. Why does Maria chose to relocate to Rhineland?
4. How does Oskar tell Klepp his life story?
5. What does Oskar do at the Matzerath's grave?
6. What does Oskar eventually tell Vittler to do with the ring and the finger?
7. What type of apprenticeship does Oskar take on after the war?
8. What is the scene like at the hospital on Oskar's 30th birthday?
9. What happens when Billy is overcome with tears?
10. Why does Oskar give Vittlar the aquamarine ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Bruno believe Oskar's stories? Why or why not? Provide examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What did Oskar do or say that implicated him in the murder to Sister Dorothea? Provide concrete examples from the book. Discuss possible motivations for Oskar wanting to kill her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony with the underlying Christian theme and the Christian Nazis. How does Grass use irony to share his feelings about the war? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)