|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oskar ask to find Matzerath's party pin?
2. How does Bebra feel about Oskar's growth?
3. What does Oskar develop because of the bouncing of the train?
4. In Chapter 35, where does the military send Ktzster?
5. What does the patent leather belt represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scene like at the hospital on Oskar's 30th birthday?
2. Why does Maria chose to relocate to Rhineland?
3. What has happened to Oskar since the death of his father?
4. What does Guste insist happened to her husband?
5. How does Oskar become wealthy?
6. How does Oskar come to be the sole supporter of the family?
7. What does the Rottweiler do for Oskar?
8. Why does Oskar give Vittlar the aquamarine ring?
9. Why is Oskar hesitant to take the concert promoter's offer?
10. What are three main characteristics of Oskar's friend Klepp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony with the underlying Christian theme and the Christian Nazis. How does Grass use irony to share his feelings about the war? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Matzerath was respected? If so by whom? If not, explain your answer. Was Matzerath aware of this respect (or disrespect) and how did he feel about it?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Joseph Koljaiczek running from the law? Describe this event in detail. Is it likely that this event happened the way Oskar tells the story? Of the people Oskar is telling the story to, who truly believes him? Provide evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)