|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Oskar is in the mental hospital, what does he think Klepp is trying to do?
2. What type of letter does Oskar read of the nurses?
3. What does the concert promoter offer Oskar?
4. Why is Hedwig almost shot?
5. While in the boarding house, what does Oskar check daily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oskar come to be the sole supporter of the family?
2. What is the attitude of Sister Dorothea when she first meets Oskar?
3. What has happened to Oskar since the death of his father?
4. What happens on Oskar's date with Sister Gertrude?
5. Explain the situation with Miss Pioch and Willie Volmer.
6. What does Oskar eventually tell Vittler to do with the ring and the finger?
7. What is the scene like at the hospital on Oskar's 30th birthday?
8. What does the Rottweiler do for Oskar?
9. What does Guste insist happened to her husband?
10. How does Oskar become wealthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the the skat cards represent and how did these representations play out throughout the book? Provide a detailed explanation for which character the cards represented and how it tied into their personality.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony with the underlying Christian theme and the Christian Nazis. How does Grass use irony to share his feelings about the war? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Matzerath and Oskar's mother join the Nazi Party. Discuss the implications of joining the German Nazi Party. How does this affect or interfere with their relationship with Bronski?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)