|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 1, Oskar, states that he is in a mental hospital and is being watched. How does he feel about the person watching him?
2. When Osker is traveling with the midget troupe, what makes him homesick?
3. When is Oskar's mother born?
4. Who does Matzerath hire to help in the store?
5. During their conversation at the beginning of the book, where does Oskar say Bruno "derived all his inspiration"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Oskar tells Bruno and his friends the story of his grandfather's possible death. After the story, each character responds with what he thinks actually happened. Whose version of the story's end does Oskar like the best and why.?
2. What does Oskar do when he does not receive drums for Christmas?
3. What was to social and economic situation in Danzig in 1938?
4. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
5. Oskar spends a lot of time talking about his family history. One significant member of his family is Jan Bronski. How is Jan related to Oskar's mother and how does Oskar describe this character?
6. What was Oskar's mother's diet like after Easter?
7. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
8. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
9. What is Herbert's job at the local bar like?
10. What does Rasputin teach Oskar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the whole of Oskar's relationships with other women. Were they all real or did Oskar make some of them up? Was there one woman in particular that Oskar truly loved? Did any truly love him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Oskar's mother, Bronski, and Matzerath. Of the two men, who do you think Oskar's mother truly loved? How does this relationship affect each of these three characters? How does the relationship affect Oskar?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use mythical characters and events to enhance the story? Choose one character or event, describe it in detail and provide support for why it is mythical.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)