|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What circus character does Oskar feel drawn to?
2. When Oskar's first drum breaks and his parents think he might be cut by it, what do his parents use to try to bribe him into giving up his drum?
3. Who does the seven of spades represent?
4. What does the midget troupe wear?
5. What does Oskar associate his guilt with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
2. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
3. Why did the citizens want to be present at the political rally?
4. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
5. What is Oskar's involvement in the criminal acts committed by the Dusters?
6. Why does the Board of Health want to commit Oskar?
7. What does Oskar do when he does not receive drums for Christmas?
8. What was to social and economic situation in Danzig in 1938?
9. What was the result of Oskar's drumming under the rostrums?
10. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use mythical characters and events to enhance the story? Choose one character or event, describe it in detail and provide support for why it is mythical.
Essay Topic 2
Matzerath and Oskar's mother join the Nazi Party. Discuss the implications of joining the German Nazi Party. How does this affect or interfere with their relationship with Bronski?
Essay Topic 3
What does Oskar's drum represent? Is it possible that Oskar affected so many people and events with his small toy drum?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)