|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of children does Oskar say are "destructive out of mischief"?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 1, Oskar, states that he is in a mental hospital and is being watched. How does he feel about the person watching him?
3. When does Kobyella, the janitor, die?
4. What is the Duster's secret weapon?
5. How does Oskar try to force a miscarriage of Maria's pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
2. How does Oskar interpret the invitation of Jan Bronski's father to Kurt's baptism?
3. How does Oskar describe himself when he was born?
4. What is the scene like in the Post Office as the Germans invade?
5. What does Oskar do when he does not receive drums for Christmas?
6. What happens to Oskar as the other men are taken away by the soldiers?
7. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
8. What two things are the result of Oskar's fall down the cellar steps?
9. Oskar spends a lot of time talking about his family history. One significant member of his family is Jan Bronski. How is Jan related to Oskar's mother and how does Oskar describe this character?
10. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story begins with Oskar telling a story about his grandparents. Discuss the two themes present in the story of the meeting of his grandparents. How does this set the stage for the story?
Essay Topic 2
Oskar is isolated throughout much of the story. Provide one example were Oskar is not isolated and determine if this event was real or a delusion. Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use mythical characters and events to enhance the story? Choose one character or event, describe it in detail and provide support for why it is mythical.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)