|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is shot for not vacating the beach?
2. Oskar possesses a special gift that he uses when upset over someone taking his drum. What is this gift?
3. When Oskar's first drum breaks and his parents think he might be cut by it, what do his parents use to try to bribe him into giving up his drum?
4. What wakes Oskar up after he falls asleep in the mail room of the post office?
5. How does Oskar say he dealt with not being about to find him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Greff fall into despair in Chapter 25?
2. What is Maria's reaction when Oskar puts the homemade fizz powder in his hand and spits in it?
3. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
4. Why did the citizens want to be present at the political rally?
5. Why does Oskar lose weight while he is in the hospital?
6. What did Oskar and his father find at one of the stores during Krystal Nacht?
7. Why does the Board of Health want to commit Oskar?
8. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
9. What was the result of Oskar's drumming under the rostrums?
10. What happens to Oskar as the other men are taken away by the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use mythical characters and events to enhance the story? Choose one character or event, describe it in detail and provide support for why it is mythical.
Essay Topic 2
War is an underlying theme in this book. How does the author discuss the war? Does this description provide an adequate background for the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Joseph Koljaiczek running from the law? Describe this event in detail. Is it likely that this event happened the way Oskar tells the story? Of the people Oskar is telling the story to, who truly believes him? Provide evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)