|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on the road with the midget troupe, who does Oskar sleep with?
2. When is Oskar's mother born?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 9, what play do Oskar and the other children see?
4. Why does Oskar say his uncle Gregor drank?
5. How long does the troupe entertain at Metz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oskar describe himself when he was born?
2. Oskar spends a lot of time talking about his family history. One significant member of his family is Jan Bronski. How is Jan related to Oskar's mother and how does Oskar describe this character?
3. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
4. Did Oskar think his baptism was successful? Why or why not?
5. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
6. What two things are the result of Oskar's fall down the cellar steps?
7. What is Oskar's involvement in the criminal acts committed by the Dusters?
8. What is Maria's reaction when Oskar puts the homemade fizz powder in his hand and spits in it?
9. What is Herbert's job at the local bar like?
10. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the whole of Oskar's relationships with other women. Were they all real or did Oskar make some of them up? Was there one woman in particular that Oskar truly loved? Did any truly love him?
Essay Topic 2
Is it suggested that Matzerath was not Oskar's father but rather Bronski was. Who do you think was Oskar's real father? Provide evidence from the book to support your answer. Do you think this suspicion was Oskar's alone of did other characters also suspect this? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony with the underlying Christian theme and the Christian Nazis. How does Grass use irony to share his feelings about the war? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)