|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oskar tell the gang his name is?
2. What do Oskar and Herbert Truczinski do while Herbert is unemployed?
3. How does Oskar say he dealt with not being about to find him?
4. Why does Oskar begin to drum furiously when he is discharged from the hospital?
5. Lobasck, the director of training, has what distinguishing characteristic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Oskar tells Bruno and his friends the story of his grandfather's possible death. After the story, each character responds with what he thinks actually happened. Whose version of the story's end does Oskar like the best and why.?
2. What does Rasputin teach Oskar?
3. Did Oskar think his baptism was successful? Why or why not?
4. How does Oskar describe himself when he was born?
5. What was to social and economic situation in Danzig in 1938?
6. How does Oskar interpret the invitation of Jan Bronski's father to Kurt's baptism?
7. What does Oskar do when he does not receive drums for Christmas?
8. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
9. What did Oskar and his father find at one of the stores during Krystal Nacht?
10. As the story begins, the reader immediately learns that the narrator is in a mental hospital. How does Oskar wish to change his room and are his changes something that would be expected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Bruno believe Oskar's stories? Why or why not? Provide examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the sexual tension felt by Oskar's mother and Gretchen while they read Oskar Rasputin. What does this tension say about their relationship with men? What does this tension say about the times? How did this affect Oskar?
Essay Topic 3
Is it possible that Oskar was real? Why or Why not? If Oskar was not real, who was the man in the mental hospital? Explain your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)