Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 1, Oskar, states that he is in a mental hospital and is being watched. How does he feel about the person watching him?
2. What does Greff do on Sundays in the winter?
3. What do Oskar and Herbert Truczinski do while Herbert is unemployed?
4. When is Oskar's mother born?
5. Oskar describes his room in the mental hospital. How does he describe his bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oskar eventually tell Vittler to do with the ring and the finger?
2. How does Mr. Fajngold know so much about disinfectants?
3. What happens to Oskar when he gets to the train station in Paris?
4. How does Oskar interpret the invitation of Jan Bronski's father to Kurt's baptism?
5. What are three main characteristics of Oskar's friend Klepp?
6. What has happened to Oskar since the death of his father?
7. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
8. How does Oskar come to be the sole supporter of the family?
9. What was the result of Oskar's drumming under the rostrums?
10. What happens to Oskar as the other men are taken away by the soldiers?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony with the underlying Christian theme and the Christian Nazis. How does Grass use irony to share his feelings about the war? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What does Oskar's drum represent? Is it possible that Oskar affected so many people and events with his small toy drum?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Matzerath was respected? If so by whom? If not, explain your answer. Was Matzerath aware of this respect (or disrespect) and how did he feel about it?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)