|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Greff invent after his favorite boy Scout, HNorst Donath, dies?
2. What wakes Oskar up after he falls asleep in the mail room of the post office?
3. How does the gang redecorate their clubhouse?
4. In Chapter 3, Oskar is in the hospital and his friends come to visit. What gift does Klepp bring him?
5. When does Kobyella, the janitor, die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things are the result of Oskar's fall down the cellar steps?
2. What was Oskar's mother's diet like after Easter?
3. Why does Greff fall into despair in Chapter 25?
4. Oskar spends a lot of time talking about his family history. One significant member of his family is Jan Bronski. How is Jan related to Oskar's mother and how does Oskar describe this character?
5. How does Oskar interpret the invitation of Jan Bronski's father to Kurt's baptism?
6. Why does the Board of Health want to commit Oskar?
7. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
8. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
9. How does Oskar feel about quitting school after the first day and what does he do about it?
10. What is Oskar's involvement in the criminal acts committed by the Dusters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony with the underlying Christian theme and the Christian Nazis. How does Grass use irony to share his feelings about the war? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Oskar is isolated throughout much of the story. Provide one example were Oskar is not isolated and determine if this event was real or a delusion. Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why was Joseph Koljaiczek running from the law? Describe this event in detail. Is it likely that this event happened the way Oskar tells the story? Of the people Oskar is telling the story to, who truly believes him? Provide evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)