|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the characters call Victor "poor Victor" after the war?
2. What does Greff do in the cellar after creating his latest invention?
3. In Chapter 3, Oskar is in the hospital and his friends come to visit. What gift does Klepp bring him?
4. What is the Duster's secret weapon?
5. What happens to Bronski after the Post Office was captured by the Germans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Herbert's job at the local bar like?
2. What happens to Oskar as the other men are taken away by the soldiers?
3. What does the midget troupe eat on their picnic?
4. What is the scene like in the Post Office as the Germans invade?
5. What was Oskar's mother's diet like after Easter?
6. Why does Oskar lose weight while he is in the hospital?
7. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
8. Oskar spends a lot of time talking about his family history. One significant member of his family is Jan Bronski. How is Jan related to Oskar's mother and how does Oskar describe this character?
9. How does Oskar interpret the invitation of Jan Bronski's father to Kurt's baptism?
10. What was the result of Oskar's drumming under the rostrums?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, did Oskar kill Sister Dorothea? Provide evidence based on actual events as well as Oskar's character, to support you answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony with the underlying Christian theme and the Christian Nazis. How does Grass use irony to share his feelings about the war? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Matzerath and Oskar's mother join the Nazi Party. Discuss the implications of joining the German Nazi Party. How does this affect or interfere with their relationship with Bronski?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)