|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oskar think his mother becomes more religious?
2. How does the gang redecorate their clubhouse?
3. Oskar describes his tin drum as the kind that is bought in what type of store?
4. When is Oskar's mother born?
5. When Matzerath leaves the cellar door open and Oskar finds it, what does Oskar feel the cellar is demanding of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
2. What is the scene like in the Post Office as the Germans invade?
3. What does Oskar do when he does not receive drums for Christmas?
4. What was fizz powder used for and how was it used?
5. Oskar spends a lot of time talking about his family history. One significant member of his family is Jan Bronski. How is Jan related to Oskar's mother and how does Oskar describe this character?
6. What happens to Oskar as the other men are taken away by the soldiers?
7. What was Oskar's mother's diet like after Easter?
8. What is Herbert's job at the local bar like?
9. How does Oskar feel about quitting school after the first day and what does he do about it?
10. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony with the underlying Christian theme and the Christian Nazis. How does Grass use irony to share his feelings about the war? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What does Oskar's drum represent? Is it possible that Oskar affected so many people and events with his small toy drum?
Essay Topic 3
War is an underlying theme in this book. How does the author discuss the war? Does this description provide an adequate background for the story?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)