|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Osker is traveling with the midget troupe, what makes him homesick?
2. How does Oskar refer to his trial after the church scene?
3. Oskar spends much of his time alone, drumming up and down the steps of his apartment building. How many steps does Oskar's building have?
4. What do the solider seal in the walls of each pillbox building they build?
5. Who does Matzerath hire to help in the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oskar lose weight while he is in the hospital?
2. What two things are the result of Oskar's fall down the cellar steps?
3. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
4. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
5. What was to social and economic situation in Danzig in 1938?
6. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
7. What is Herbert's job at the local bar like?
8. During the skat game, Bronski loses because of what distraction?
9. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
10. What is the scene like in the Post Office as the Germans invade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think the main point of this story is? Explain your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Is it possible that Oskar was real? Why or Why not? If Oskar was not real, who was the man in the mental hospital? Explain your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Oskar's mother, Bronski, and Matzerath. Of the two men, who do you think Oskar's mother truly loved? How does this relationship affect each of these three characters? How does the relationship affect Oskar?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)