|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After searching for a tutor to teach him the alphabet, who finally agrees to teach Oskar?
2. How does Oskar try to force a miscarriage of Maria's pregnancy?
3. What does Bruno do after not being able to find the fizz powder?
4. In Chapter 3, Oskar is in the hospital and his friends come to visit. What gift does Klepp bring him?
5. Why do the characters call Victor "poor Victor" after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scene like in the Post Office as the Germans invade?
2. What does Rasputin teach Oskar?
3. What does the midget troupe eat on their picnic?
4. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
5. Oskar tells Bruno and his friends the story of his grandfather's possible death. After the story, each character responds with what he thinks actually happened. Whose version of the story's end does Oskar like the best and why.?
6. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
7. What happens to Oskar as the other men are taken away by the soldiers?
8. Why does the Board of Health want to commit Oskar?
9. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
10. As the story begins, the reader immediately learns that the narrator is in a mental hospital. How does Oskar wish to change his room and are his changes something that would be expected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it possible that Oskar was real? Why or Why not? If Oskar was not real, who was the man in the mental hospital? Explain your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Is it suggested that Matzerath was not Oskar's father but rather Bronski was. Who do you think was Oskar's real father? Provide evidence from the book to support your answer. Do you think this suspicion was Oskar's alone of did other characters also suspect this? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the whole of Oskar's relationships with other women. Were they all real or did Oskar make some of them up? Was there one woman in particular that Oskar truly loved? Did any truly love him?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)