|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matzerath do after finding out Maria is pregnant?
2. What circus character does Oskar feel drawn to?
3. After searching for a tutor to teach him the alphabet, who finally agrees to teach Oskar?
4. What does Oskar think is the most remarkable thing grownups ever produced?
5. What does Greff do on Sundays in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
2. What two things are the result of Oskar's fall down the cellar steps?
3. Why does Oskar lose weight while he is in the hospital?
4. Oskar tells Bruno and his friends the story of his grandfather's possible death. After the story, each character responds with what he thinks actually happened. Whose version of the story's end does Oskar like the best and why.?
5. During the skat game, Bronski loses because of what distraction?
6. What does the midget troupe eat on their picnic?
7. Why did the citizens want to be present at the political rally?
8. What is Oskar's involvement in the criminal acts committed by the Dusters?
9. What does Rasputin teach Oskar?
10. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story begins with Oskar telling a story about his grandparents. Discuss the two themes present in the story of the meeting of his grandparents. How does this set the stage for the story?
Essay Topic 2
What did Oskar do or say that implicated him in the murder to Sister Dorothea? Provide concrete examples from the book. Discuss possible motivations for Oskar wanting to kill her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Oskar's mother, Bronski, and Matzerath. Of the two men, who do you think Oskar's mother truly loved? How does this relationship affect each of these three characters? How does the relationship affect Oskar?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)