|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Bronski after the Post Office was captured by the Germans?
2. Why does Oskar's mother refuse to go in a certain room of the house?
3. What does Oskar tell the gang his name is?
4. Oskar spends much of his time alone, drumming up and down the steps of his apartment building. How many steps does Oskar's building have?
5. When Oskar's first drum breaks and his parents think he might be cut by it, what do his parents use to try to bribe him into giving up his drum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oskar feel about Klepp after he becomes a member of the Communist party?
2. What are three main characteristics of Oskar's friend Klepp?
3. What type of apprenticeship does Oskar take on after the war?
4. Explain the situation with Miss Pioch and Willie Volmer.
5. What was the result of Oskar's drumming under the rostrums?
6. What is a significant portrait that Oskar modeled for and who modeled with him?
7. What is the scene like at the hospital on Oskar's 30th birthday?
8. As the story begins, the reader immediately learns that the narrator is in a mental hospital. How does Oskar wish to change his room and are his changes something that would be expected?
9. Why does Oskar lose weight while he is in the hospital?
10. What is the attitude of Sister Dorothea when she first meets Oskar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story begins with Oskar telling a story about his grandparents. Discuss the two themes present in the story of the meeting of his grandparents. How does this set the stage for the story?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think the main point of this story is? Explain your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sexual tension felt by Oskar's mother and Gretchen while they read Oskar Rasputin. What does this tension say about their relationship with men? What does this tension say about the times? How did this affect Oskar?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)