|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Oskar up after he falls asleep in the mail room of the post office?
2. A man at the circus tells Oskar he stopped growing at what age?
3. What does Matzerath force Oskar's mother to eat?
4. How does Oskar say he dealt with not being about to find him?
5. After Hebert's funeral, what does Meyn do after becoming too drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
2. What does Oskar do when he does not receive drums for Christmas?
3. What did Oskar and his father find at one of the stores during Krystal Nacht?
4. What is the scene like in the Post Office as the Germans invade?
5. What was to social and economic situation in Danzig in 1938?
6. How does Oskar feel about quitting school after the first day and what does he do about it?
7. How does Oskar describe himself when he was born?
8. Why does the Board of Health want to commit Oskar?
9. Why did the citizens want to be present at the political rally?
10. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Bruno believe Oskar's stories? Why or why not? Provide examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Oskar is able to scream loud enough to make glass shatter. What are his motivations for this behavior? How does Oskar's glass breaking screaming change as he gets older? Does he ever stop this behavior?
Essay Topic 3
This story begins with Oskar telling a story about his grandparents. Discuss the two themes present in the story of the meeting of his grandparents. How does this set the stage for the story?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)