|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Oskar disappears with the midget troupe, what do the police think?
2. In 1938, why can't Oskar's grandmother take her goods to the market?
3. Who at the Polish post office is able to repair Oskar's drum?
4. What type of children does Oskar say are "destructive out of mischief"?
5. What does the midget troupe wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Greff fall into despair in Chapter 25?
2. What is the scene like in the Post Office as the Germans invade?
3. As the story begins, the reader immediately learns that the narrator is in a mental hospital. How does Oskar wish to change his room and are his changes something that would be expected?
4. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
5. What happens to Oskar as the other men are taken away by the soldiers?
6. Oskar tells Bruno and his friends the story of his grandfather's possible death. After the story, each character responds with what he thinks actually happened. Whose version of the story's end does Oskar like the best and why.?
7. What is Oskar's involvement in the criminal acts committed by the Dusters?
8. What does Oskar do when he does not receive drums for Christmas?
9. What was to social and economic situation in Danzig in 1938?
10. Why does Oskar lose weight while he is in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oskar is able to scream loud enough to make glass shatter. What are his motivations for this behavior? How does Oskar's glass breaking screaming change as he gets older? Does he ever stop this behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Oskar is isolated throughout much of the story. Provide one example were Oskar is not isolated and determine if this event was real or a delusion. Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Oskar's mother, Bronski, and Matzerath. Of the two men, who do you think Oskar's mother truly loved? How does this relationship affect each of these three characters? How does the relationship affect Oskar?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)