|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oskar think is the most remarkable thing grownups ever produced?
2. What do Oskar and Herbert Truczinski do while Herbert is unemployed?
3. When Oskar disappears with the midget troupe, what do the police think?
4. Who does Oskar think he looks like?
5. Why do the characters call Victor "poor Victor" after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Oskar as the other men are taken away by the soldiers?
2. While at the beach, Oskar and his family meet a fisherman who is using a horse head to fish. What happens to Oskar's mother when she sees the horse head?
3. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
4. How does Oskar interpret the invitation of Jan Bronski's father to Kurt's baptism?
5. Why does the Board of Health want to commit Oskar?
6. What does Rasputin teach Oskar?
7. What is the scene like in the Post Office as the Germans invade?
8. What was to social and economic situation in Danzig in 1938?
9. How does Oskar describe himself when he was born?
10. How does Oskar feel about quitting school after the first day and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Matzerath was respected? If so by whom? If not, explain your answer. Was Matzerath aware of this respect (or disrespect) and how did he feel about it?
Essay Topic 2
Oskar is able to scream loud enough to make glass shatter. What are his motivations for this behavior? How does Oskar's glass breaking screaming change as he gets older? Does he ever stop this behavior?
Essay Topic 3
This story begins with Oskar telling a story about his grandparents. Discuss the two themes present in the story of the meeting of his grandparents. How does this set the stage for the story?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)