|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on his way home from the church one night, where does Oskar go to avoid the gang?
2. Why do the characters call Victor "poor Victor" after the war?
3. While on the road with the midget troupe, who does Oskar sleep with?
4. What does Matzerath force Oskar's mother to eat?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 16, who becomes a member of the Nazi Mounted SA band?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Board of Health want to commit Oskar?
2. What does each member of the midget troupe perform for the soldiers?
3. Why did the citizens want to be present at the political rally?
4. How does Oskar feel about quitting school after the first day and what does he do about it?
5. What was Oskar's mother's diet like after Easter?
6. What was to social and economic situation in Danzig in 1938?
7. Oskar tells Bruno and his friends the story of his grandfather's possible death. After the story, each character responds with what he thinks actually happened. Whose version of the story's end does Oskar like the best and why.?
8. What was the result of Oskar's drumming under the rostrums?
9. Did Oskar think his baptism was successful? Why or why not?
10. What do Oskar's family try to get him to do after Bronski was taken by the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Matzerath was respected? If so by whom? If not, explain your answer. Was Matzerath aware of this respect (or disrespect) and how did he feel about it?
Essay Topic 2
Oskar is able to scream loud enough to make glass shatter. What are his motivations for this behavior? How does Oskar's glass breaking screaming change as he gets older? Does he ever stop this behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Matzerath and Oskar's mother join the Nazi Party. Discuss the implications of joining the German Nazi Party. How does this affect or interfere with their relationship with Bronski?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)