|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 9, what play do Oskar and the other children see?
(b) The Fiddler on the Roof.
(c) Tom Thumb.
2. In 1938, why can't Oskar's grandmother take her goods to the market?
(a) She could not afford it.
(b) She found another job.
(c) The markets were closed.
(d) The border was closed.
3. Why does Matzerath think Oskar's mother eats only fish?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) There is nothing else to eat.
(c) She is ill.
(d) It is inexpensive.
4. Why does Oskar begin to drum furiously when he is discharged from the hospital?
(a) He can not sleep.
(b) He misses his cell.
(c) The world is overwhelming.
(d) He misses the nurses.
5. While on the road with the midget troupe, who does Oskar sleep with?
(b) A solider.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Oskar is in the hospital and his friends come to visit. What gift does Klepp bring him?
2. Oskar spends much of his time alone, drumming up and down the steps of his apartment building. How many steps does Oskar's building have?
3. What does Greff do on Sundays in the winter?
4. How long does the troupe entertain at Metz?
5. What wakes Oskar up after he falls asleep in the mail room of the post office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Board of Health want to commit Oskar?
2. What is Oskar's involvement in the criminal acts committed by the Dusters?
3. Did Oskar think his baptism was successful? Why or why not?
4. What is Maria's reaction when Oskar puts the homemade fizz powder in his hand and spits in it?
5. How does Oskar interpret the invitation of Jan Bronski's father to Kurt's baptism?
6. As the story begins, the reader immediately learns that the narrator is in a mental hospital. How does Oskar wish to change his room and are his changes something that would be expected?
7. How does Oskar become the leader of the Dusters?
8. Why did the citizens want to be present at the political rally?
9. What does Rasputin teach Oskar?
10. Why does Greff fall into despair in Chapter 25?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)