|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Irene saying the first time the narrator hears her voice?
2. How do people speak in the narrator's experience?
3. How does the narrator feel about Irene?
4. Where does Tod Friendly meet many of his girlfriends?
5. Where does the taxi cab take John Young after his night of drinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Reverend Nicholas Kreditor's appearance.
2. How does the narrator understand language?
3. When is Tod Friendly/John Young happy?
4. What happens when the Reverend Kreditor talks to John Young about stormy weather?
5. Describe some cases in which characters are wistful about the past.
6. Is there any place where the narrator's understanding is more accurate than Tod Friendly's?
7. How does the narrator experience Tod's kindness to children?
8. Why does Tod Friendly enjoy being part of a crowd?
9. What is Tod's relationship with the narrator?
10. What condition is Europe in when Odilo Unverdorben leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first chapter is titled, 'What comes around goes around." What does this title mean?
1. Is Odilo brought to justice? Is he cleansed of his sins, or redeemed for his experiences? Does he suffer what he inflicted on others?
2. Is this title ironic, or is it intended literally. Cite specific examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator and Odilo both have secret knowledge which others around them do not know.
1. Citing specific examples from the text, describe the effect of secrets on Odilo and the narrator. Who can they tell? Who do they have to keep the secrets from? How do the secrets affect their decisions or their feelings?
2. What part do the secrets play in the characters' development? What kinds of things are possible because of their secret knowledge? What kinds of things are impossible?
3. Why is Odilo afraid of being found out? Is there ever a time when he acts honestly, or considers revealing his secret to another character?
Essay Topic 3
Babies are a recurring image in Time's Arrow. Cite three instances where babies appear and describe their significance in the context where they occur; then describe their symbolic significance. What qualities do they represent in Odilo's life? In the narrator's? In the other characters?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)