|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport does Tod Friendly take up?
2. How does Tod Friendly walk in the door to his house after he leaves the hospital?
(a) He walks in sideways.
(b) He limps because of the pain in his ankle.
(c) He walks in backwards.
(d) He has to climb over some rubble.
3. How does the narrator feel about John Young's departure from New York?
(a) He is glad that they could escape together.
(b) He is proud of the work John Young did there.
(c) He envies his escape from the hospital.
(d) He resents John Young's virility.
4. With whom does John Young meet before his voyage to Europe?
(a) An old Spanish Man.
(b) Reverend Nicholas Kreditor.
(c) Hamilton de Souza.
(d) "The Agent."
5. How often does "the Agent" visit Hamilton de Souza/John Young?
(a) Every week.
(b) Twice a month.
(c) Once every other month.
(d) Twice a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about Irene?
2. How does the narrator think that John Young begins his affairs?
3. What does the narrator think Tod Friendly would do at the food store?
4. What does the narrator wish he could say to Irene?
5. Where does John Young land when he reaches Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Can the reader sympathize with the narrator's sense of horror at John Young's work?
2. How does John Young/Hamilton de Souza feel about his body?
3. Describe John Young/Hamilton de Souza/Odilo Unverdorben's feelings about fleeing to America after the war.
4. What does the narrator think about Tod Friendly's dreams and memories?
5. How does the narrator feel about John Young's work?
6. What are some of the terms the narrator coins in order to make things make sense?
7. What is Tod's relationship with the narrator?
8. How does the narrator feel about the change from America to Europe?
9. What happens when the Reverend Kreditor talks to John Young about stormy weather?
10. How does Tod feel about his physical body in the first chapter?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)