|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where would John Young have his amorous encounters with women?
(a) In a basement apartment.
(b) In the hospital elevator.
(c) In the examining rooms at the hospital.
(d) In the laundry room at the hospital.
2. How often does "the Agent" visit Hamilton de Souza/John Young?
(a) Twice a week.
(b) Twice a month.
(c) Once every other month.
(d) Every week.
3. What color is the hospital, regardless of the season?
4. When would John Young's affairs typically begin?
(a) A few months after he performs an abortion for his girlfriend.
(b) After his lovers are beaten by their husbands.
(c) After he helps people at the hospital.
(d) A few months before he performs an abortion for his girlfriend.
5. What does the narrator describe as an "atrocity-producing" situation?
(a) The city.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The possibility of nuclear war.
(d) JFK's hero's welcome in Dallas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tod Friendly's job?
2. From whom does Tod Friendly get a letter every year?
3. Where does Tod Friendly meet many of his girlfriends?
4. How do the other doctors feel about John Young?
5. What does Tod Friendly do to get a new name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the change from America to Europe?
2. How does the narrator feel about John Young's work?
3. Describe the narrator's mindset at the beginning of the novel.
4. Is there any place where the narrator's understanding is more accurate than Tod Friendly's?
5. What does the narrator understand about sex?
6. What do Tod Friendly/John Young/Hamilton de Souza/Odilo Unverdorben's name changes tell us about his character?
7. How does the narrator understand language?
8. Describe John Young/Hamilton de Souza/Odilo Unverdorben's feelings about fleeing to America after the war.
9. What is the narrator's relationship with Tod Friendly?
10. How does the narrator experience Tod's kindness to children?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)