|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator think about expressing his affection for Herta?
(a) He wants to use violence against her then heal her.
(b) He wants to immortalize her.
(c) He wants to recreate her from ashes.
(d) He wants to marry her and have a baby with her.
2. How does Odilo Unverdorben behave in a crowd?
(a) He is an agitator.
(b) He is a leader.
(c) He is follower.
(d) He is a hooligan.
3. What does Herta know about Odilo Unverdorben's work at Auschwitz?
(a) She approves of his work and experiments.
(b) She thinks that he is working at a children's hospital.
(c) She does not know about it; Odilo keeps it secret.
(d) She suggested Odilo work there herself.
4. How does Odilo Unverdorben's work affect his marriage?
(a) It gives him ideas about how he and his wife could live in the future.
(b) It hardens him so that he cannot respond to his wife.
(c) It gives him more to talk about with his wife.
(d) It makes him more sensitive to his wife's sufferings.
5. How does the narrator feel when the Schless-Hartheim camp celebrates its 5,000th patient?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is disgusted with himself and suicidal.
(c) He is anxious for even greater achievements.
(d) He is proud.
6. Why doesn't anyone at Schless-Hartheim know about Odilo Unverdorben's work at Auschwitz?
(a) He had changed his name so no one would know he was there.
(b) It has not happened yet.
(c) The official account of the work at Auschwitz has not been published yet.
(d) It is top secret.
7. What does the narrator think when he sees the rail station at Treblinka?
(a) He thinks it is a movie set.
(b) He thinks it is a centerpiece of the Final Solution.
(c) He thinks it is a progressive medical facility.
(d) He thinks it is a fake to deceive the Polish Jews.
8. What is Solingen known for?
(a) Jewish culture.
(c) Airplane parts factories.
(d) Surgical instruments.
9. How does the narrator think Odilo Unverdorben's father would take away Odilo's pain?
(a) With a swat of his hand.
(b) By kissing the place that hurt.
(c) By massaging the place that hurt.
(d) By applying an ice pack.
10. How does Odilo Unverdorben's father look, when Odilo is a young child?
(a) Jolly, carefree, and healthy.
(b) Full of vitality and virility.
(c) Anxious and jittery.
(d) Wasted, as if he is not eating enough.
11. How does Odilo Unverdorben travel through Germany?
(a) In troop carriers.
(b) By motorcycle.
(c) By hitchhiking.
(d) By truck.
12. How old is the narrator when he realizes that he would soon be born?
(a) One year old.
(b) Two years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Eighteen months old.
13. What does the narrator believe happens to people after they are "created' at Auschwitz?
(a) They work to make more people.
(b) They are sent off to work in the camp.
(c) They are killed in the sprinkle rooms.
(d) They go home on the trains.
14. What does the narrator think Uncle Pepi uses to bring dead patients back to life?
(a) Phenol injections.
15. Where does the narrator think Herta's letters come from?
(a) The mail box.
(b) The sprinkle rooms.
(c) The trash.
(d) The fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what condition is Auschwitz when the narrator thinks Odilo Unverdorben arrives there?
2. How does Odilo Unverdorben's assignment to Shless-Hartheim appear to the narrator?
3. How does the narrator compare Schless-Hartheim to Auschwitz?
4. What do Odilo Unverdorben and Herta discuss while she is pregnant?
5. How do people feel about the Jews whom the narrator thinks are brought to life at Schless-Hartheim?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)