|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the framework of the Palace of Green Porcelain made of?
2. Approximately what time is it, when the Time Traveler returns home, according to the journalist?
3. What does the Time Traveler plan to use to illuminate the woods?
4. One of the characters who does not believe the Time Traveler's story in Chapter 12 refers to it as which of the following?
5. What kind of dinosaur does the Time Traveler mention in the museum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel relies on systems of symbols, one of which is the use of light and dark. What ideas, feelings, and conflicts are symbolized by light, and which by dark? On the language level, what are the major strategies Wells uses to convey these symbols? Be sure to consider setting, characterization, figurative language, dialogue, point of view, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Both the Eloi and the Morlock live in communist societies. Describe what makes these societies "communist" or communal, using textual examples. Determine what you think Wells's opinions of communism might have been. What do you think he wanted his readers to think and feel about communism?
Essay Topic 3
This novel takes what some might consider a pessimistic view of the role science plays in modern life. Even though Wells's narrative takes place in the 19th century, there are many parallels one could draw between the scientific and technical progress discuused in the novel and the explosion of digital technologies in our own time. Using textual examples from Wells, analyze the effects technological developments and innovations are likely to have on humanity. Compare and contrast Wells's predictions of what technological advancement does to humanity with your opinion of the effects of the technological advancements from your own lifetime.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)