|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the Time Traveler notices that the constellations are different in the night sky as he and Weena bed down in the forest, what is the one celestial feature that is seemingly unchanged?
(a) The Milky Way.
(b) The North Star.
(c) The Aurora Borealis.
(d) The Big Dipper.
2. In Chapter 10, Wells describes the Eloi's "feeble prettiness," which is compared to which characteristics of the Morlocks?
(a) "Scientific know-how."
(b) "Ghastly beastiness."
(c) "Mechanical industry."
(d) "Technological improvement."
3. What are the animals the Time Traveler finds in the farther future in Chapter 11?
(a) Mosquitoes and rabbits.
(b) Butterflies and crabs.
(c) Cockroaches and eels.
(d) Snakes and shrimp.
4. What does the Time Traveler decide about Weena at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) To stay here and marry her.
(b) To bring her into the past with him.
(c) To teach her to flight the Morlock.
(d) To bring her into the far future.
5. Why did the Morlocks' plan fail?
(a) The Time Traveler had a working torch.
(b) It turned out that they were afraid of the dark.
(c) They did not understand the nature of the Time Machine.
(d) The Time Traveler had a gun to fight them.
6. What word best describes the Time Traveler's actions just before he realizes that he cannot easily light the matches?
7. Why cannot Weena help the Time Traveler make out or interpret the inscription he finds in the Palace of Green Porcelain?
(a) Because Weena does not speak any language at all.
(b) Because Weena was a bad student of history.
(c) Because Weena did not want to.
(d) Because she is illiterate/has no written language.
8. In the forest in Chapter 7, whom does Wells describe as the "dainty ones"?
(a) Giant butterflies.
(b) Ancient humans.
(c) The Morlock.
(d) The Eloi.
9. What surprises the Time Traveler when he goes to the White Sphinx to finally reclaim his time machine?
(a) The valve doors are open.
(b) The forest fire singed the doors.
(c) The Sphinx has been moved.
(d) The Sphinx is now green.
10. What does the Time Traveler say about "the dream of the human intellect"?
(a) That it "committed suicide."
(b) That it was "annihilated by evolution."
(c) That it was "wiped out."
(d) That it was "fated to die."
11. In the farthest future to which the Time Traveler travels, what is one thing that's missing?
12. Where does the Time Traveler intend to go once he is armed with things he found at the museum?
(a) The forest.
(b) The Eloi's great hall.
(c) The White Sphinx.
(d) The Morlocks' wells.
13. What is the Editor smoking, if anything, in Chapter 12?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A cigar.
(c) A pipe.
14. What object does the Time Traveler refer to as his "mace"?
(a) A cudgel.
(b) A length of pipe.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) A broken lever.
15. Whom does the Time Traveler refer to as "cattle" multiple times in Chapter 10?
(c) The Eloi.
(d) Ancient humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it significant that the moon is starting to wane in Chapter 7?
2. The Time Traveler decides that the museum must be in the location of which part of London from his own time?
3. What does the Time Traveler tell his guests is the only difference in the Time Machine when he returns home?
4. How have the Morlocks cared for the Time Machine?
5. In Chapter 11, when the Time Traveler has traveled even farther into the future, what has happened to the moon?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)