|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Editor smoking, if anything, in Chapter 12?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A cigar.
(c) A pipe.
2. What kinds of creature does Weena find and play with in the museum?
(b) Horseshoe crab.
3. In the dark of the forest, how does the Time Traveler know that there are Morlocks near them?
(a) Neither of the above.
(b) "Queer sounds" in the woods
(c) Both of the above.
(d) A tug on his coat.
4. What is the Editor's reaction to the Time Traveler's story?
(a) He wants to interview him.
(b) He wants to go to the future himself.
(c) He wants to option the rights.
(d) He does not believe it.
5. What objects were the Morlocks attempting to pry out of the Time Traveler's fingers while they were struggling in the dark?
(a) The pipe.
(b) The torch.
(c) The matches.
(d) The levers.
6. What, according to the Time Traveler, must be "useless" if nature is appealing to intelligence?
(a) "Intuition and ritual."
(b) None of these.
(c) "Drive and desire."
(d) "Habit and instinct."
7. Why is it significant that the moon is starting to wane in Chapter 7?
(a) Because the nights will be darker.
(b) None of the above.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Because the Morlocks feed off lunar energy.
8. What is the Time Traveler planning to make when he says, in Chapter 7, "to procure some means of fire."
(a) A forest fire.
(b) A torch.
(c) A coal fire.
(d) A camp fire.
9. What is Weena's reaction to the growing forest fire?
(a) She wants to put it out.
(b) She wants to run to the fire and play with it.
(c) She wants to run away from it.
(d) She wants to capture it in a glass.
10. Although the Time Traveler finds sulfur in the museum, what additional ingredient for gunpowder does he lack?
11. Which character returns to the Time Traveler's laboratory the next day, after the Time Traveler returns home?
(a) The Medical Man.
(b) The Editor.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The Journalist.
12. Approximately what time is it, when the Time Traveler returns home, according to the journalist?
(a) One o'clock.
(b) Three o'clock.
(c) Eleven o'clock.
(d) Nine o-clock.
13. What does the narrator think he sees in Chapter 12?
(a) A Morlock.
(b) A ghost image of the Time Machine.
(c) The reflection of the Time Traveler.
14. What surprises the Time Traveler when he goes to the White Sphinx to finally reclaim his time machine?
(a) The Sphinx has been moved.
(b) The valve doors are open.
(c) The forest fire singed the doors.
(d) The Sphinx is now green.
15. What characterizes the thirty or forty Morlocks on the hill, watching the fire rage toward them?
(a) They are hungry for Eloi.
(b) They are sorry for killing.
(c) They are helpless.
(d) They are on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to the Time Traveler's memory in Chapter 12, when he returns home?
2. What are the animals the Time Traveler finds in the farther future in Chapter 11?
3. Why does the Time Traveler keep the camphor he finds?
4. What part of the flower does the Medical Man find odd?
5. In Chapter 11, when the Time Traveler has traveled even farther into the future, what has happened to the moon?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)