|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Time Traveler intend to go once he is armed with things he found at the museum?
(a) The White Sphinx.
(b) The Eloi's great hall.
(c) The forest.
(d) The Morlocks' wells.
2. Faced with his loathing of the Morlocks, the Time Traveler feels like a what "in a cage"?
(a) A man.
(b) A dog.
(c) A beast.
(d) A canary.
3. In the farthest future to which the Time Traveler travels, what is one thing that's missing?
4. What does the narrator think he sees in Chapter 12?
(a) The reflection of the Time Traveler.
(b) A Morlock.
(d) A ghost image of the Time Machine.
5. Why does the Time Traveler presume that the Morlocks are good climbers?
(a) Because he saw them scale the Palace.
(b) Because they nest in the trees.
(c) Because of their wells.
(d) Because they have five sets of claws.
6. What does the Time Traveler realize when he picks Weena up and slings her over his shoulder?
(a) That he has lost his way in the forest.
(b) That the fire is spreading.
(c) That they are surrounded my Morlocks in all directions.
(d) That Weena is dead.
7. What is happening to the Time Traveler's memory in Chapter 12, when he returns home?
(a) None of the above.
(b) It is fading.
(c) It is becoming more vivid.
(d) It is generating false images.
8. What was the Morlocks' plan inside the White Sphinx?
(a) To steal the time machine and go back in time.
(b) To lure the Time Traveler to his own death.
(c) To free the Time Traveler.
(d) The capture as many Eloi as they could.
9. When the Time Traveler returns home in Chapter 12, even he himself wonders if the whole experience was just a what?
(b) False memory.
10. Why cannot Weena help the Time Traveler make out or interpret the inscription he finds in the Palace of Green Porcelain?
(a) Because Weena did not want to.
(b) Because Weena does not speak any language at all.
(c) Because she is illiterate/has no written language.
(d) Because Weena was a bad student of history.
11. What is the Time Traveler planning to make when he says, in Chapter 7, "to procure some means of fire."
(a) A coal fire.
(b) A torch.
(c) A camp fire.
(d) A forest fire.
12. What does the Time Traveler decide about Weena at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) To teach her to flight the Morlock.
(b) To bring her into the past with him.
(c) To stay here and marry her.
(d) To bring her into the far future.
13. To what does this description apply: "a vast dome glowing with a dull heat, and now and then suffering a momentary extinction," in Chapter 11?
(a) The Green Palace.
(b) The sun.
14. What object does the Time Traveler refer to as his "mace"?
(a) A baseball bat.
(b) A length of pipe.
(c) A cudgel.
(d) A broken lever.
15. When the Time Traveler sees the river and estuary from the point of view of the Palace of Green Porcelain, what does he think of for the first time?
(a) Ice fishing.
(b) Pollution and water quality.
(c) Ocean creatures and sea life.
(d) Shipping Lanes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, in Chapter 12, "What a pity it is you're not a writer of stories!"?
2. What is the Editor's reaction to the Time Traveler's story?
3. What, at the end of the chapter about the forest fire, is described as an "overwhelming calamity"?
4. How many times did the Time Traveler see "Morlocks put their heads down in a kind of agony and rush into the flames"?
5. What adjectives does Wells employ to describe the Morlocks' hands?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)