|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of day does the time machine begin its day, according to the Time Traveler?
(a) 4:00 A.M..
(b) 2:00 A.M..
(c) 12:00 A.M..
(d) 10:00 A.M.
2. Of what foodstuff does the diet of the Eloi consist?
3. What does the Time Traveler see after his meal with the Eloi, when he goes outside again to look at the White Sphinx?
(a) He sees that another Time Machine is parked next to his own.
(b) He sees a forest fire.
(c) He sees that the Time Machine is missing.
(d) He sees Morlocks.
4. Of what metal is the pedestal of the Sphinx made?
5. How big is the model time machine the Time Traveler shows his guests?
(a) The size of an automobile.
(b) The size of a football.
(c) The size of a small clock.
(d) The size of a pocketwatch.
6. To which room do the men retire to hear the Time Traveler's story?
(a) The conservatory.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The smoking room.
(d) The laboratory.
7. Where does the Psychologist first say the model must have gone?
(b) Into the future.
(c) Into the past.
(d) Into a different room.
8. Into what kind of weather does the Time Traveler arrive in the far future?
(a) A downpour.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A drought.
(d) A blizzard.
9. Which battle does the Psychologist mention, when the men speak of traveling in history to see past battles?
(a) The Battle of the Bulge.
(b) The London Blitz.
(c) The Battle of Hastings.
10. According to the Time Traveler, how long did it take to make the model of the time machine?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two months.
11. What do the Eloi wear on their heads?
(a) Derby hats.
12. Why does the Time Traveler think that it was not the Eloi who moved the time machine?
(a) He thinks that one of the Eloi has traveled back in time with it.
(b) He thinks that the Sphinx came alive and swallowed it.
(c) He thinks they were busy eating.
(d) He thinks they are too weak.
13. In which point of view is Chapter 2 told?
(a) First person, from the Time Traveler's point of view.
(b) Third person omniscient.
(c) First person, from Hillyer's point of view.
(d) Third person, limited to Hillyer's point of view.
14. What does the Time Traveler find when he attempts to climb down into one of the Morlocks' shafts or tunnels?
(a) There is an elevator.
(b) There are metal rods like a ladder.
(c) There is a rope to climb.
(d) There are steps cut into the ground.
15. What is the Time Traveler smoking?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A pipe.
(d) A cigar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens the Time Traveler badly enough to make him flee the underground lair of the Morlocks?
2. The narrator mentions that if another character had shown them the time machine, they would not be as skeptical as they were of the Time Traveler. Which other character does he mention?
3. What adjective does the Time Traveler use to describe the hair color of the Morlocks?
4. Which of the characters reads the note left by the Time Traveler?
5. Why, does the Time Traveler imagine, the Eloi all want to touch him?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)