|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Time Traveler attempt to communicate the concept of time to the first Eloi he meets?
(a) He points to the sun.
(b) He lectures them on the Fourth Dimension.
(c) He uses math, the universal language.
(d) He looks at his watch.
2. In which direction is the Palace of Green Porcelain?
(b) Due South.
(d) Due North.
3. Inside the machine, it seems as if the housekeeper walks from one end of the room to the other like what object?
(a) A snail.
(b) A bullet.
(c) A rocket.
(d) A turtle.
4. The narrator mentions that if another character had shown them the time machine, they would not be as skeptical as they were of the Time Traveler. Which other character does he mention?
(a) The Medical Man.
(c) The Very Young Man.
(d) The Provincial Mayor.
5. What kind of meat are they eating at the second dinner?
6. Whom did the narrator meet on Friday at the Linnaeum?
(b) The Psychologist.
(c) The Medical Man.
(d) The Provincial Mayor.
7. According to the Time Traveler, how long did it take to make the model of the time machine?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two years.
8. To what does the Time Traveler compare his excitement/anxiety when he is about to travel in the machine for the first time?
(a) To a frisky kitten.
(b) To a newborn baby.
(c) To a suicide.
(d) To an expectant mother.
9. Of what material does the Sphinx appear to be made?
(a) Green marble.
(b) White porcelain.
(c) Green porcelain.
(d) White marble.
10. How does the Time Traveler determine that the time machine was taken into the base of the Sphinx?
(a) He smells burnt metal.
(b) He can see it through the windows in the base of the statue.
(c) He finds marks and footprints.
(d) The Eloi read him a note they found.
11. What does the Time Traveler see after his meal with the Eloi, when he goes outside again to look at the White Sphinx?
(a) He sees that the Time Machine is missing.
(b) He sees that another Time Machine is parked next to his own.
(c) He sees Morlocks.
(d) He sees a forest fire.
12. What does the first Eloi appear to be wearing on his feet?
(b) Running shoes.
(c) Combat boots.
(d) High heels.
13. What do the Eloi wear on their heads?
(b) Derby hats.
14. In which point of view is Chapter 2 told?
(a) First person, from Hillyer's point of view.
(b) Third person omniscient.
(c) Third person, limited to Hillyer's point of view.
(d) First person, from the Time Traveler's point of view.
15. Why, does the Time Traveler imagine, the Eloi all want to touch him?
(a) To see if he is made of metal.
(b) To be sure he is real.
(c) To see what he will taste like.
(d) To keep warm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Remarking on how dirty the Time Traveler's clothes were, the Journalist wonders whether or not the future has any of what object?
2. Compared to the children the Time Traveler is used to, what does he estimate the intellectual age of the Eloi to be?
3. What is the "trick" the Medical Man says the Time Traveler showed them last Christmas?
4. Where does the Time Traveler store the object(s) he removes from the time machine?
5. The Time Traveler assumes that his voice is too what for the Eloi?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)