|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the animal the Time Traveler sees in the night on the way to look for his missing time machine?
2. How big is the model time machine the Time Traveler shows his guests?
(a) The size of a pocketwatch.
(b) The size of a football.
(c) The size of an automobile.
(d) The size of a small clock.
3. To which room do the men retire to hear the Time Traveler's story?
(a) The conservatory.
(b) The laboratory.
(c) The smoking room.
(d) The dining room.
4. What best describes the "prettiness" of the Eloi, when the Time Traveler first meets them?
(c) Porcelain dolls.
(d) Delft blue.
5. What color are the Time Traveler's eyes?
6. Why does the Time Traveler claim not to be afraid of the first Eloi he meets, even though they are touching him?
(a) The Eloi give him welcoming gifts.
(b) He can understand their language and that they say they mean him no harm.
(c) He has superior weapons, so is not worred.
(d) They look so frail he thinks he could dispatch several at once.
7. Remarking on how dirty the Time Traveler's clothes were, the Journalist wonders whether or not the future has any of what object?
(b) Clothes brushes.
(d) Dust busters.
8. What does the Time Traveler notice about Eloi gender roles?
(a) That there is no real gender difference.
(b) That males are louder and more graceful than females.
(c) That females are larger and more assertive than males.
(d) That the males bear young.
9. Why is the Time Traveler worried about stopping?
(a) He fears he might hit something.
(b) He fears he might fall off the machine.
(c) He fears he might hurt a passerby.
(d) He fears he might damage the time machine and be stuck in the future.
10. Why does the Time Traveler remove something from the machine when he meets the Eloi and prepares to leave the machine?
(a) So it cannot be operated.
(b) So he can travel back in time without the machine.
(c) So the Eloi cannot figure out how to build their own.
(d) So the Eloi will not sell the time machine on the black market.
11. In which point of view is Chapter 2 told?
(a) First person, from Hillyer's point of view.
(b) Third person, limited to Hillyer's point of view.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) First person, from the Time Traveler's point of view.
12. What does the first Eloi appear to be wearing on his feet?
(a) High heels.
(b) Running shoes.
(c) Combat boots.
13. In what type of clothing is the group of figures the Time Traveler sees clad?
(a) "Somber frocks."
(b) "Fine dresses."
(c) "Soft robes."
(d) "Tawdry togs."
14. How much does the Editor offer to pay for the Time Traveler's story?
(a) A shilling a line.
(b) A penny a word.
(c) A pound a word.
(d) A pound a paragraph.
15. What do the Eloi offer the Time Traveler when he intimates that he did in fact come out of the thunderstorm?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Eloi's tables made of?
2. Where does the Psychologist first say the model must have gone?
3. Which part of the Time Traveler's body has a half-healed cut on it when he returns to the second dinner?
4. Into what kind of weather does the Time Traveler arrive in the far future?
5. How does the Time Traveler attempt to communicate the concept of time to the first Eloi he meets?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)