|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of mines were present around Maroneia?
2. The narrator talks about a large festival held in the honor of which mythical figure?
3. Telamon arrived at Road's Turn bearing wine and which grain?
4. Telamon lectured on which of the following?
5. The executioner also held which prominent position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the scene between Jason and Polemides in the cell. What does Polemides show to Jason?
2. What is Endius' opinion of Alcibiades' leadership in comparison to the leadership of Lysander?
3. Discuss the offers of escape for Socrates and Polemides.
4. How does Alcibiades react to Lysander's answer? What happens during the next battle?
5. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
6. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
7. Discuss the scene in which Polemides attends the speech made by Alcibiades. What is the content of the speech?
8. Polemides shows a completely different side when it comes to his family. Examine Polemides' familial ties.
9. Discuss Alcibiades' return to power in Athens.
10. Discuss how Alcibiades' enemies try to get to him through his friends.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcibiades left Athens under duress and fled to Sparta. Why did Alcibiades leave Athens? What prompted Alcibiades to go to Sparta? What kind of reception did Alcibiades receive upon his arrival? Did Alcibiades go directly to Lysander? What was Lysander's reaction to the news that Alcibiades had arrived? What was Alcibiades' purpose in going to Sparta? Was Alcibiades at all fearful of potential repercussions? Was Alcibiades ever detained or persecuted by Lysander in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Athenians' invasion of Sicily was a great turning point. Discuss the invasion. Who was in charge of the Athenian fleet? How many ships were there? Where did the armada land? Was Lysander prepared to fight? What was the reaction of the Sicilians? Was Persia involved in the battle? Discuss in detail the time line of the battle. Include issues faced by each side and why both sides declared the battle to be a victory although Athens clearly lost. Examine the next step taken by each side.
Essay Topic 3
Polemides shows two different sides of himself when it comes to working as a mercenary. Discuss how Polemides got into this line of work. How was Polemides recruited? By whom? How does Polemides' professional standing as a mercenary differ from his earlier work as a soldier? How was it different when Polemides was killing people - including Meri - who were suffering from the Plague? How could Polemides be so offended by the lists of people to be executed while viewing his mercenary work as a noble profession? How does Polemides rationalize the situation? Explain.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)