|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "hetairai"?
2. The tooth of which animal was used to secure a cloak?
3. In Chapter XLIV, Polemides is referred to as being which of the following?
4. Polemides was present when the people took charge of which location?
5. Approximately how many lawsuits were filed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conversation between Jason and Eunice.
2. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
3. Lysander instructs Polemides and Telamon to be present at his speech the following day. Where is the speech held? What are the contents of Lysander's message?
4. Discuss how Alcibiades' enemies try to get to him through his friends.
5. Where is Alcibiades at this time? What are his plans? What is the reaction of Polemides?
6. Discuss the offers of escape for Socrates and Polemides.
7. Examine Alcibiades' weakness regarding women.
8. What is Endius' opinion of Alcibiades' leadership in comparison to the leadership of Lysander?
9. Describe the situation between Alcibiades, Polemides, and Lysander. What does Lysander say about Alcibiades future?
10. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the leaders of Athens and Sparta, Lysander and Alcibiades are often compared on many levels. Compare and contrast Lysander and Alcibiades on all levels at the beginning and end of the war.
Essay Topic 2
The Athenians' invasion of Sicily was a great turning point. Discuss the invasion. Who was in charge of the Athenian fleet? How many ships were there? Where did the armada land? Was Lysander prepared to fight? What was the reaction of the Sicilians? Was Persia involved in the battle? Discuss in detail the time line of the battle. Include issues faced by each side and why both sides declared the battle to be a victory although Athens clearly lost. Examine the next step taken by each side.
Essay Topic 3
Persia was a large and wealthy kingdom at this time. During various times in the book Persia was seen as both enemy and ally. Explain the relationship between Sparta and Persia. Also examine the relationship between Athens and Persia. Do you think Persia might have been defeated if Sparta and Athens had become allies? What prevented the two city-states from going to war with Sparta? How did the outcome of the battle between Athens and Sparta affect Persia? Discuss the Persian leaders, wealth and political position.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)