|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit was Eunice eating during this conversation?
2. Of the kinsman were crowned with which of the following plants?
3. What is a "hetairai"?
4. What is the name of Polemides' family farm?
5. The sailors of Athens were drawing ___ obols?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alcibiades react to Lysander's answer? What happens during the next battle?
2. Lysander instructs Polemides and Telamon to be present at his speech the following day. Where is the speech held? What are the contents of Lysander's message?
3. Discuss the offers of escape for Socrates and Polemides.
4. Discuss the issues faced by Polemides n Chapter XXV. Where is Polemides' destination?
5. Discuss the conversation between Jason and Eunice.
6. Discuss the scene in which Polemides attends the speech made by Alcibiades. What is the content of the speech?
7. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
8. Examine Alcibiades' weakness regarding women.
9. Polemides shows a completely different side when it comes to his family. Examine Polemides' familial ties.
10. What happens when Alcibiades returns to Athens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narration of the story mainly falls on Jason or his grandson. Why does Pressfield choose to have the grandson narrate instead of Jason? Why is Jason an important enough character to lead the story? Who else narrates? Does each person tell his own story? Who do you think is the best narrator? Why? Does the story benefit from having more than one narrator or is the switch confusing and/or unnecessary? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alcibiades' vices. In Alcibiades' youth, his vices got him into a great deal of trouble and hindered his military career. As Alcibiades matured, his addiction to certain vices seemed to wane. As Alcibiades resided in exile, the love of vice seemed to return. This put Alcibiades in the worst possible situation with certain enemies. Discuss in detail Alcibiades' vices and how they landed him in hot water. How did Alcibiades deal with the repercussions? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail Polemides' escape from jail. Who planned the escape? How did it happen? When did it take place? Who helped Polemides flee? Explain how Eunice and Nicolaus were involved in Polemides' case. How was Jason involved? Did Jason have any contact with Polemides after he fled Athens? How does Jason learn of Polemides' activities after the escape? Explain.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)