|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrates in the beginning of this book?
2. What fruit was Eunice eating during this conversation?
3. What is the name of Alcibiades' enemy in Athens?
4. How many were in the group?
5. Telamon believed that these things were offenses against ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the scene between Jason and Polemides in the cell. What does Polemides show to Jason?
2. Discuss Alcibiades' return to power in Athens.
3. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
4. What is Endius' opinion of Alcibiades' leadership in comparison to the leadership of Lysander?
5. What happens when Alcibiades returns to Athens?
6. Examine Alcibiades' weakness regarding women.
7. Discuss the issues faced by Polemides n Chapter XXV. Where is Polemides' destination?
8. Where is Alcibiades at this time? What are his plans? What is the reaction of Polemides?
9. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
10. Discuss how Alcibiades' enemies try to get to him through his friends.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Polemides shows two different sides of himself when it comes to working as a mercenary. Discuss how Polemides got into this line of work. How was Polemides recruited? By whom? How does Polemides' professional standing as a mercenary differ from his earlier work as a soldier? How was it different when Polemides was killing people - including Meri - who were suffering from the Plague? How could Polemides be so offended by the lists of people to be executed while viewing his mercenary work as a noble profession? How does Polemides rationalize the situation? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Eunice is somewhat misunderstood. At first, Eunice is simply a camp wife to Polemides. Then Eunice and Polemides have a child. Discuss Eunice's demands on Polemides. What was Eunice's most frequent demand? How did things change when they moved to the family farm? Why was Eunice constantly angry with Polemides? Did Eunice really try to poison Aurore? Explain. Explain how the information given to Polemides regarding Eunice was false.
Essay Topic 3
The Athenians' invasion of Sicily was a great turning point. Discuss the invasion. Who was in charge of the Athenian fleet? How many ships were there? Where did the armada land? Was Lysander prepared to fight? What was the reaction of the Sicilians? Was Persia involved in the battle? Discuss in detail the time line of the battle. Include issues faced by each side and why both sides declared the battle to be a victory although Athens clearly lost. Examine the next step taken by each side.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)