|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group does not fear God; it seeks to be God?
2. Lysander claims that his enemies possess ____.
3. How many vessels sailed to Alcyone?
4. Of the kinsman were crowned with which of the following plants?
5. Which of the following abounded in Thrace, despite harsh weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Alcibiades' return to power in Athens.
2. What happens to Polemides at this time? Where is he reassigned?
3. Discuss the offers of escape for Socrates and Polemides.
4. Alcibiades devises a plan to turn against Persia. What is the plan? Who else must be involved for the plan to be successful?
5. How does Persia's support of Sparta cause problems with Athens?
6. How does Alcibiades react to Lysander's answer? What happens during the next battle?
7. Describe the situation between Alcibiades, Polemides, and Lysander. What does Lysander say about Alcibiades future?
8. Lysander instructs Polemides and Telamon to be present at his speech the following day. Where is the speech held? What are the contents of Lysander's message?
9. Discuss the conversation between Jason and Eunice.
10. What is Endius' opinion of Alcibiades' leadership in comparison to the leadership of Lysander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a comparison between Socrates and Polemides. Both men are in jail and sentenced to be executed. Socrates is repeatedly offered the opportunity to escape by followers and friends. Socrates always refuses. Why? Why is Socrates determined to allow himself to be executed? What is the opinion of Jason and the other students, followers, family and friends of Socrates? Compare Socrates' situation to Polemides' problem. What happens when Polemides is offered the opportunity to escape? What is the difference in the cases? What happens to each man? Were the arrests, trials, and sentences fair? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Polemides becomes alarmed when it becomes apparent that many illustrious names have appeared on the trierarch's list. There seems to be little or no reason to the lists, although it is soon learned that the people on the lists are destined to be rounded up, detained, tortured, and possibly executed. Discuss in detail the lists. Which people are on the lists? How does Polemides end up being on one of the lists? How was his situation handled? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
As the leaders of Athens and Sparta, Lysander and Alcibiades are often compared on many levels. Compare and contrast Lysander and Alcibiades on all levels at the beginning and end of the war.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)