|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "hetairai"?
2. There was a death on which mountain?
3. Telamon lectured on which of the following?
4. It is said that seamen are not equipped for which type of warfare?
5. The Museum stood under a statue of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
2. What happens when Alcibiades returns to Athens?
3. What happens to Polemides at this time? Where is he reassigned?
4. How does Alcibiades react to Lysander's answer? What happens during the next battle?
5. Examine Alcibiades' weakness regarding women.
6. How does Persia's support of Sparta cause problems with Athens?
7. Alcibiades devises a plan to turn against Persia. What is the plan? Who else must be involved for the plan to be successful?
8. Lysander instructs Polemides and Telamon to be present at his speech the following day. Where is the speech held? What are the contents of Lysander's message?
9. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
10. Discuss Alcibiades' return to power in Athens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alcibiades' vices. In Alcibiades' youth, his vices got him into a great deal of trouble and hindered his military career. As Alcibiades matured, his addiction to certain vices seemed to wane. As Alcibiades resided in exile, the love of vice seemed to return. This put Alcibiades in the worst possible situation with certain enemies. Discuss in detail Alcibiades' vices and how they landed him in hot water. How did Alcibiades deal with the repercussions? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alcibiades' defection to Sparta. What was Alcibiades' role in Sparta? Discuss Alcibiades' relationship with Lysander and other Spartan leaders. What achievements did Alcibiades gain while in Sparta? What was Alcibiades' contribution to the city-state? How was Alcibiades able to gain respect from the Spartans? Did Lysander's opinion of Alcibiades change during his tenure? What were Lysander's behind the scenes plans?
Essay Topic 3
The war between Athens and Sparta lasted for 27 years. Discuss the war, what caused it, who won, and how it ended. What was the main cause of war between the city-states? Who was the first to declare war? Why? Which was the strongest city-state before war was declared? Which was the strongest city-state after the war? How did the tides of war change during the 27 year long battle? Discuss the leadership of each city-state before, during and after the war. Note changes in politics, political leaders, allies, and wealth.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)