|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "hetairai"?
2. Which beverage was brought to Polemides in his cell?
3. Thrasylubus refers to Alcibiades as a _____.
4. Alcibiades actions caused him to become a(n) _____.
5. What was allegedly placed under the Stone Mounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Persia's support of Sparta cause problems with Athens?
2. Polemides shows a completely different side when it comes to his family. Examine Polemides' familial ties.
3. Discuss the conversation between Jason and Eunice.
4. What happens when Alcibiades returns to Athens?
5. Discuss the scene between Jason and Polemides in the cell. What does Polemides show to Jason?
6. Describe the situation between Alcibiades, Polemides, and Lysander. What does Lysander say about Alcibiades future?
7. Discuss Alcibiades' return to power in Athens.
8. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
9. Discuss the scene in which Polemides attends the speech made by Alcibiades. What is the content of the speech?
10. What causes Alcibiades to become injured? How does the injury damage his reputation as a leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eunice is somewhat misunderstood. At first, Eunice is simply a camp wife to Polemides. Then Eunice and Polemides have a child. Discuss Eunice's demands on Polemides. What was Eunice's most frequent demand? How did things change when they moved to the family farm? Why was Eunice constantly angry with Polemides? Did Eunice really try to poison Aurore? Explain. Explain how the information given to Polemides regarding Eunice was false.
Essay Topic 2
Lysander and Alcibiades were sworn enemies, yet they respected each other's skills and leadership abilities and strategies. Why? What was Lysander's opinion of Alcibiades? What was Alcibiades' opinion of Lysander? Were the opinions and perceptions accurate? On what were the opinions and perceptions based? Explain. At the beginning of the war what were the military positions of Athens and Sparta? Who had the upper hand? Did the men ever confront each other directly while in battle? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Endius stated that Lysander would win the war against Alcibiades. Although both men were highly skilled, Endius believed that Lysander would prevail due to his cruelty and single minded focus. Explain what Endius meant by this statement. Why was Lysander considered to be cruel? Was Alcibiades cruel? Give at least three examples in which Lysander exhibited extreme cruelty during his tenure as a Spartan general.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)