|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the man that referred to Alcibiades as a treasonous villain?
2. Chapter 35 mentions the existence of which of the seven deadly sins?
3. It is said that seamen are not equipped for which type of warfare?
4. Which of the following is not on the list of people that follow the mandate that Heaven reigns?
5. The girl came from which region?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lysander instructs Polemides and Telamon to be present at his speech the following day. Where is the speech held? What are the contents of Lysander's message?
2. Examine Alcibiades' weakness regarding women.
3. What happens when Alcibiades returns to Athens?
4. Discuss the offers of escape for Socrates and Polemides.
5. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
6. Polemides shows a completely different side when it comes to his family. Examine Polemides' familial ties.
7. What is the reaction of the people when they hear Alcibiades' speech? What are the thoughts of Lysander and the elders?
8. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
9. How does Persia's support of Sparta cause problems with Athens?
10. What happens when Polemides is left behind? What dangerous step does Polemides take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of Socrates is a constant thread throughout the story as Jason's connection with the great philosopher is the way in which Jason meets Polemides. Explain the importance of including Socrates in the story. Write a biographical sketch on Socrates and tell why he was in prison. Include Socrates' philosophies and legacy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alcibiades' vices. In Alcibiades' youth, his vices got him into a great deal of trouble and hindered his military career. As Alcibiades matured, his addiction to certain vices seemed to wane. As Alcibiades resided in exile, the love of vice seemed to return. This put Alcibiades in the worst possible situation with certain enemies. Discuss in detail Alcibiades' vices and how they landed him in hot water. How did Alcibiades deal with the repercussions? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The Athenians' invasion of Sicily was a great turning point. Discuss the invasion. Who was in charge of the Athenian fleet? How many ships were there? Where did the armada land? Was Lysander prepared to fight? What was the reaction of the Sicilians? Was Persia involved in the battle? Discuss in detail the time line of the battle. Include issues faced by each side and why both sides declared the battle to be a victory although Athens clearly lost. Examine the next step taken by each side.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)