|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antalcidas tells Lysander that he has taken ____ to new heights.
2. When in the pavilions of the Persians, the narrator was affected by which strong emotion?
3. What does Lysander refer to as a "solitary god?"
4. Which word is used to refer to a small piece of gold?
5. Alcibiades was afflicted with which problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the scene in which Polemides attends the speech made by Alcibiades. What is the content of the speech?
2. Lysander instructs Polemides and Telamon to be present at his speech the following day. Where is the speech held? What are the contents of Lysander's message?
3. Discuss how Alcibiades' enemies try to get to him through his friends.
4. How does Alcibiades react to Lysander's answer? What happens during the next battle?
5. What happens to Polemides at this time? Where is he reassigned?
6. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
7. What is Endius' opinion of Alcibiades' leadership in comparison to the leadership of Lysander?
8. Alcibiades devises a plan to turn against Persia. What is the plan? Who else must be involved for the plan to be successful?
9. Discuss the conversation between Jason and Eunice.
10. Discuss the scene between Jason and Polemides in the cell. What does Polemides show to Jason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Endius stated that Lysander would win the war against Alcibiades. Although both men were highly skilled, Endius believed that Lysander would prevail due to his cruelty and single minded focus. Explain what Endius meant by this statement. Why was Lysander considered to be cruel? Was Alcibiades cruel? Give at least three examples in which Lysander exhibited extreme cruelty during his tenure as a Spartan general.
Essay Topic 2
The war between Athens and Sparta lasted for 27 years. Discuss the war, what caused it, who won, and how it ended. What was the main cause of war between the city-states? Who was the first to declare war? Why? Which was the strongest city-state before war was declared? Which was the strongest city-state after the war? How did the tides of war change during the 27 year long battle? Discuss the leadership of each city-state before, during and after the war. Note changes in politics, political leaders, allies, and wealth.
Essay Topic 3
Eunice is somewhat misunderstood. At first, Eunice is simply a camp wife to Polemides. Then Eunice and Polemides have a child. Discuss Eunice's demands on Polemides. What was Eunice's most frequent demand? How did things change when they moved to the family farm? Why was Eunice constantly angry with Polemides? Did Eunice really try to poison Aurore? Explain. Explain how the information given to Polemides regarding Eunice was false.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)