|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrates in the beginning of this book?
2. How many were in the group?
3. What is it called when a crew turns against the ship's officer(s)?
4. Who is referred to as the Cat's Eye?
5. What does Lysander refer to as a "solitary god?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Persia's support of Sparta cause problems with Athens?
2. What causes Alcibiades to become injured? How does the injury damage his reputation as a leader?
3. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
4. Discuss the issues faced by Polemides n Chapter XXV. Where is Polemides' destination?
5. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
6. Where is Alcibiades at this time? What are his plans? What is the reaction of Polemides?
7. Alcibiades devises a plan to turn against Persia. What is the plan? Who else must be involved for the plan to be successful?
8. Examine Alcibiades' weakness regarding women.
9. Describe the situation between Alcibiades, Polemides, and Lysander. What does Lysander say about Alcibiades future?
10. What happens after the Athenians execute their generals? What is the reaction of Sparta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alcibiades' defection to Sparta. What was Alcibiades' role in Sparta? Discuss Alcibiades' relationship with Lysander and other Spartan leaders. What achievements did Alcibiades gain while in Sparta? What was Alcibiades' contribution to the city-state? How was Alcibiades able to gain respect from the Spartans? Did Lysander's opinion of Alcibiades change during his tenure? What were Lysander's behind the scenes plans?
Essay Topic 2
The story of Socrates is a constant thread throughout the story as Jason's connection with the great philosopher is the way in which Jason meets Polemides. Explain the importance of including Socrates in the story. Write a biographical sketch on Socrates and tell why he was in prison. Include Socrates' philosophies and legacy.
Essay Topic 3
The Athenians' invasion of Sicily was a great turning point. Discuss the invasion. Who was in charge of the Athenian fleet? How many ships were there? Where did the armada land? Was Lysander prepared to fight? What was the reaction of the Sicilians? Was Persia involved in the battle? Discuss in detail the time line of the battle. Include issues faced by each side and why both sides declared the battle to be a victory although Athens clearly lost. Examine the next step taken by each side.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)