|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is/are meliades?
2. What does Lysander refer to as a "solitary god?"
3. How long did it take the narrator to reach Lacedaemon?
4. How old was the man that referred to Alcibiades as a treasonous villain?
5. Which of the following was most feared by Alcibiades?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lysander instructs Polemides and Telamon to be present at his speech the following day. Where is the speech held? What are the contents of Lysander's message?
2. Polemides shows a completely different side when it comes to his family. Examine Polemides' familial ties.
3. Discuss the conversation between Jason and Eunice.
4. Discuss the scene between Jason and Polemides in the cell. What does Polemides show to Jason?
5. What is the reaction of the people when they hear Alcibiades' speech? What are the thoughts of Lysander and the elders?
6. Discuss the offers of escape for Socrates and Polemides.
7. Alcibiades devises a plan to turn against Persia. What is the plan? Who else must be involved for the plan to be successful?
8. Discuss the issues faced by Polemides n Chapter XXV. Where is Polemides' destination?
9. What causes Alcibiades to become injured? How does the injury damage his reputation as a leader?
10. Discuss Alcibiades' return to power in Athens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Polemides shows two different sides of himself when it comes to working as a mercenary. Discuss how Polemides got into this line of work. How was Polemides recruited? By whom? How does Polemides' professional standing as a mercenary differ from his earlier work as a soldier? How was it different when Polemides was killing people - including Meri - who were suffering from the Plague? How could Polemides be so offended by the lists of people to be executed while viewing his mercenary work as a noble profession? How does Polemides rationalize the situation? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The war between Athens and Sparta lasted for 27 years. Discuss the war, what caused it, who won, and how it ended. What was the main cause of war between the city-states? Who was the first to declare war? Why? Which was the strongest city-state before war was declared? Which was the strongest city-state after the war? How did the tides of war change during the 27 year long battle? Discuss the leadership of each city-state before, during and after the war. Note changes in politics, political leaders, allies, and wealth.
Essay Topic 3
Polemides becomes alarmed when it becomes apparent that many illustrious names have appeared on the trierarch's list. There seems to be little or no reason to the lists, although it is soon learned that the people on the lists are destined to be rounded up, detained, tortured, and possibly executed. Discuss in detail the lists. Which people are on the lists? How does Polemides end up being on one of the lists? How was his situation handled? What was the outcome?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)