|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many lawsuits were filed?
2. Thrasylubus refers to Alcibiades as a _____.
3. The executioner also held which prominent position?
4. Which term is used to describe the Spartans' navigator?
5. Which word is used to describe the glass in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alcibiades react to Lysander's answer? What happens during the next battle?
2. Where is Alcibiades at this time? What are his plans? What is the reaction of Polemides?
3. Polemides shows a completely different side when it comes to his family. Examine Polemides' familial ties.
4. What causes Alcibiades to become injured? How does the injury damage his reputation as a leader?
5. Discuss the conversation between Jason and Eunice.
6. How does Persia's support of Sparta cause problems with Athens?
7. Discuss how Alcibiades' enemies try to get to him through his friends.
8. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
9. Alcibiades devises a plan to turn against Persia. What is the plan? Who else must be involved for the plan to be successful?
10. Discuss the scene in which Polemides attends the speech made by Alcibiades. What is the content of the speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Endius stated that Lysander would win the war against Alcibiades. Although both men were highly skilled, Endius believed that Lysander would prevail due to his cruelty and single minded focus. Explain what Endius meant by this statement. Why was Lysander considered to be cruel? Was Alcibiades cruel? Give at least three examples in which Lysander exhibited extreme cruelty during his tenure as a Spartan general.
Essay Topic 2
Telamon was a well known mercenary who was paired with Polemides. Although both men were paid assassins, Telamon viewed his job differently then Polemides. Compare and contrast Telamon and Polemides.
Essay Topic 3
Alcibiades left Athens under duress and fled to Sparta. Why did Alcibiades leave Athens? What prompted Alcibiades to go to Sparta? What kind of reception did Alcibiades receive upon his arrival? Did Alcibiades go directly to Lysander? What was Lysander's reaction to the news that Alcibiades had arrived? What was Alcibiades' purpose in going to Sparta? Was Alcibiades at all fearful of potential repercussions? Was Alcibiades ever detained or persecuted by Lysander in any way? Explain.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)