|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrates in the beginning of this book?
2. What type of mines were present around Maroneia?
3. Telamon arrived at Road's Turn bearing wine and which grain?
4. What is it called when a crew turns against the ship's officer(s)?
5. What is the narrator's Laconian name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Alcibiades to become injured? How does the injury damage his reputation as a leader?
2. Discuss the reaction of the people upon Alcibiades' departure. What did the Athenians do to prevent corruption of power?
3. What happens after the Athenians execute their generals? What is the reaction of Sparta?
4. Discuss the conversation between Jason and Eunice.
5. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
6. Discuss how Alcibiades' enemies try to get to him through his friends.
7. How does Persia's support of Sparta cause problems with Athens?
8. What is the reaction of the people when they hear Alcibiades' speech? What are the thoughts of Lysander and the elders?
9. What happens when Polemides is left behind? What dangerous step does Polemides take?
10. Examine Alcibiades' weakness regarding women.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alcibiades' defection to Sparta. What was Alcibiades' role in Sparta? Discuss Alcibiades' relationship with Lysander and other Spartan leaders. What achievements did Alcibiades gain while in Sparta? What was Alcibiades' contribution to the city-state? How was Alcibiades able to gain respect from the Spartans? Did Lysander's opinion of Alcibiades change during his tenure? What were Lysander's behind the scenes plans?
Essay Topic 2
Alcibiades left Athens under duress and fled to Sparta. Why did Alcibiades leave Athens? What prompted Alcibiades to go to Sparta? What kind of reception did Alcibiades receive upon his arrival? Did Alcibiades go directly to Lysander? What was Lysander's reaction to the news that Alcibiades had arrived? What was Alcibiades' purpose in going to Sparta? Was Alcibiades at all fearful of potential repercussions? Was Alcibiades ever detained or persecuted by Lysander in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Telamon was a well known mercenary who was paired with Polemides. Although both men were paid assassins, Telamon viewed his job differently then Polemides. Compare and contrast Telamon and Polemides.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)