|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is/are meliades?
2. A commotion from the ___ Court disrupted Polemides?
3. How many were in the group?
4. What was allegedly placed under the Stone Mounds?
5. What color was worn by Polemides at that time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Polemides at this time? Where is he reassigned?
2. Where is Alcibiades at this time? What are his plans? What is the reaction of Polemides?
3. What happens when Alcibiades returns to Athens?
4. What happens after the Athenians execute their generals? What is the reaction of Sparta?
5. Discuss how Alcibiades' enemies try to get to him through his friends.
6. What happens when Polemides is left behind? What dangerous step does Polemides take?
7. Alcibiades devises a plan to turn against Persia. What is the plan? Who else must be involved for the plan to be successful?
8. What is the reaction of the people when they hear Alcibiades' speech? What are the thoughts of Lysander and the elders?
9. Describe the situation between Alcibiades, Polemides, and Lysander. What does Lysander say about Alcibiades future?
10. What is Endius' opinion of Alcibiades' leadership in comparison to the leadership of Lysander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Polemides becomes alarmed when it becomes apparent that many illustrious names have appeared on the trierarch's list. There seems to be little or no reason to the lists, although it is soon learned that the people on the lists are destined to be rounded up, detained, tortured, and possibly executed. Discuss in detail the lists. Which people are on the lists? How does Polemides end up being on one of the lists? How was his situation handled? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Alcibiades left Athens under duress and fled to Sparta. Why did Alcibiades leave Athens? What prompted Alcibiades to go to Sparta? What kind of reception did Alcibiades receive upon his arrival? Did Alcibiades go directly to Lysander? What was Lysander's reaction to the news that Alcibiades had arrived? What was Alcibiades' purpose in going to Sparta? Was Alcibiades at all fearful of potential repercussions? Was Alcibiades ever detained or persecuted by Lysander in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Lysander and Alcibiades were sworn enemies, yet they respected each other's skills and leadership abilities and strategies. Why? What was Lysander's opinion of Alcibiades? What was Alcibiades' opinion of Lysander? Were the opinions and perceptions accurate? On what were the opinions and perceptions based? Explain. At the beginning of the war what were the military positions of Athens and Sparta? Who had the upper hand? Did the men ever confront each other directly while in battle? Explain.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)