|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is up to the commander to teach his men about arete. What is arete?
2. Which of the following was absent during the celebration of Victoria's manhood?
3. The narrator talks about a large festival held in the honor of which mythical figure?
4. What color was worn by Polemides at that time?
5. How many vessels sailed to Alcyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the Athenians execute their generals? What is the reaction of Sparta?
2. What happens to Polemides at this time? Where is he reassigned?
3. What happens when Alcibiades returns to Athens?
4. Discuss the scene in which Polemides attends the speech made by Alcibiades. What is the content of the speech?
5. Discuss the scene between Jason and Polemides in the cell. What does Polemides show to Jason?
6. Describe the situation between Alcibiades, Polemides, and Lysander. What does Lysander say about Alcibiades future?
7. What is Endius' opinion of Alcibiades' leadership in comparison to the leadership of Lysander?
8. What is the reaction of the people when they hear Alcibiades' speech? What are the thoughts of Lysander and the elders?
9. Examine Alcibiades' weakness regarding women.
10. Examine the circumstances under which Alcibiades is named as Athens' dictator. What is Alcibiades' reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Polemides shows two different sides of himself when it comes to working as a mercenary. Discuss how Polemides got into this line of work. How was Polemides recruited? By whom? How does Polemides' professional standing as a mercenary differ from his earlier work as a soldier? How was it different when Polemides was killing people - including Meri - who were suffering from the Plague? How could Polemides be so offended by the lists of people to be executed while viewing his mercenary work as a noble profession? How does Polemides rationalize the situation? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Eunice is somewhat misunderstood. At first, Eunice is simply a camp wife to Polemides. Then Eunice and Polemides have a child. Discuss Eunice's demands on Polemides. What was Eunice's most frequent demand? How did things change when they moved to the family farm? Why was Eunice constantly angry with Polemides? Did Eunice really try to poison Aurore? Explain. Explain how the information given to Polemides regarding Eunice was false.
Essay Topic 3
The story of Socrates is a constant thread throughout the story as Jason's connection with the great philosopher is the way in which Jason meets Polemides. Explain the importance of including Socrates in the story. Write a biographical sketch on Socrates and tell why he was in prison. Include Socrates' philosophies and legacy.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)