|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the narrator's armor weigh?
2. Who addresses the Athenians?
3. What is the name of the marsh that is adjacent to the harbor?
4. Alcibiades is marked for death due to his ____.
5. At this point, ____ was at the height of her power.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the battle between Athens and Sparta. What is the relationship between Alcibiades and Lysander?
2. What does Gylippus do while the Athenians wait to sail? Where does Alcibiades fit into the story?
3. What is the basic outline of Polemides' early history?
4. How did Polemides come to work side by side with Alcibiades?
5. Who was Telamon? What was his relationship to Polemides?
6. Who is the main character in the story? What happens to him?
7. What is Telamon's prediction about the war? Why does Telamon make the prediction? Is it correct?
8. Who objects to the Sicilian campaign? What authority does this person have? What actions are taken?
9. Discuss the scene in which Nicias addresses the Athenian Assembly.
10. Describe Polemides' claim to fame and the reason he was imprisoned.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Endius stated that Lysander would win the war against Alcibiades. Although both men were highly skilled, Endius believed that Lysander would prevail due to his cruelty and single minded focus. Explain what Endius meant by this statement. Why was Lysander considered to be cruel? Was Alcibiades cruel? Give at least three examples in which Lysander exhibited extreme cruelty during his tenure as a Spartan general.
Essay Topic 2
Polemides manages to be reassigned to the north where he meets up with Alcibiades once again. Describe in detail the scene found by Polemides. Discuss what Polemides sees when he finds Alcibiades. What has happened to Alcibiades? Why is he in such dire straits? What has caused Alcibiades injury? What are Alcibiades' plans? How does Alcibiades die?
Essay Topic 3
The history between Athens and Sparta is long and volatile. Create a detailed time line of the political structures of Athens and Sparta. Include enemies, allies, leaders, goals, and achievements. Connect the interaction of the two city-states. Which ended up being the victor and/or the most powerful?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)