Book I - Against Polemides (Chapters I-V)
• The Peloponnesian War lasted for 27 years.
• The story follows the great soldier Polemides.
• Polemides killed the Athenian general Alcibiades.
• Jason is Polemides' counsel.
• The unnamed narrator visits Jason, his grandfather.
• Jason tells the boy stories about his life.
• Jason talks about his mentor Socrates.
• Jason was asked to represent Polemides.
• The story of Polemides is told.
• Polemides was friends with the mercenary Telamon.
• Polemides and Alcibiades had been friends.
• Polemides was hired to kill Alcibiades.
• Polemides takes over as narrator and tells his story.
Book II - The Long Walls (Chapters VI-IX)
• Jason picks up the narrative.
• Athens was at the height of power and influence.
• Athens enters the Golden Age.
• Pericles turned the city into an impenetrable fortress.
• War breaks out.
• Polemides is injured.
• The plague hits Athens.
• Polemides admonishes his cousin and Alcibiades.
• Polemides' sister and father die.
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)