|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house has burned to the ground according to the characters in the play?
2. Who tells Olga the brigade is leaving, which is then refuted to be a rumor?
3. Who tells Tusenback to go out of the house in order to give other characters some privacy?
4. Who are Chebutykin and Andrei afraid will stop them from going out?
5. Who comes in, looking for Masha twice during the end of the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many tragedies affect the characters of this play - so many that it seems tragic that these characters should endure so much.
Part 1: List the tragedies that take place in this place.
Part 2: Which tragedy is most important or most traumatic to the characters of the play?
Part 3: What do these tragedies symbolize in regards to the characters? How are the characters changed by each tragedy they face?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of dreams is one the pervades this play. Everyone has dreams, and few realize them.
Part 1: What are the dreams of each of the characters?
Part 2: What does Chekhov seem to be saying about the idea of dreams and their relevance to happiness?
Part 3: What are some dreams which are realized in the end of the play? Are any truly realized?
Essay Topic 3
Solyony is aggressive in his profession of love for Irina, but the reader gets the sense that this may not be as honest as it seems.
Part 1: In what ways does Solyony profess his love for Irina?
Part 2: Do you believe Solyony really loves Irina? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Solyony is capable of love? Why or why not?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)