|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will it be until Vershinin's wife and daughters can follow him?
2. Who is being pursued by Ferapont, constantly walking away from him whenever he comes into the scene?
3. What does Natasha carry as she passes through the scene, causing Masha to accuse her of setting the fires?
4. What does Masha nickname her lover although everyone knows who he is?
5. Into whose bedroom does Natasha want to move Andrei?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the play doesn't change much from beginning to end. This causes the viewer/reader to focus more on the interactions than on the space in which these interactions take place.
Part 1: List the settings of the play.
Part 2: Discuss why Chekhov may have wanted to keep the settings to a minimum. What might this achieve?
Part 3: How do you think the setting, or lack thereof, has affected the mood of this play?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting about this play is that the men are just as flawed as the women in their actions and in their ideas.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the emotional natures of the men and the women in this play.
Part 2: Does it seem the men are 'typical' men or are they different from the stereotypical male characters? If they are different, explain how. if they are the same, explain that answer.
Part 3: Does Chekhov seem to be saying that the sexes are equal in relation to their experience of life? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Irina seems to be a sister with a lot on her mind throughout the play.
Part 1: Describe the character of Irina.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Irina to Olga
Part 3: What kind of character does Irina seem to be? Does she seem like a hopeful character? Why or why not? What does her presence seem to say about the idea of dreams?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)