|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cries out, asking where his past has gone and where his hopes have disappeared?
2. What is the name of Natasha's other child besides Bobik?
3. Who has shaved off his mustache because someone else did it first?
4. How many sections of the town have been destroyed according to reports in the scene?
5. Who was in love with Andrei's mother, according to the lovesick person himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Solyony is aggressive in his profession of love for Irina, but the reader gets the sense that this may not be as honest as it seems.
Part 1: In what ways does Solyony profess his love for Irina?
Part 2: Do you believe Solyony really loves Irina? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Solyony is capable of love? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Andrei is the brother to the three sisters of the title of this play. But while his role may not be as large, it may be more important.
Part 1: Describe the character of Andrei as he is revealed in the play.
Part 2: Do you think Andrei chose the life he created for himself or were there other reasons for him to be in the life situation he chose?
Part 3: Do you feel sorry for Andrei in this play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the play doesn't change much from beginning to end. This causes the viewer/reader to focus more on the interactions than on the space in which these interactions take place.
Part 1: List the settings of the play.
Part 2: Discuss why Chekhov may have wanted to keep the settings to a minimum. What might this achieve?
Part 3: How do you think the setting, or lack thereof, has affected the mood of this play?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)