|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that marriage is boring and something another character should not worry about trying to find?
2. Who does Olga suggest the answer to #132 marry in order to be happy?
3. Who has been asked to produce a benefit concert for the refugees?
4. What does Irina say she will do before begging everyone to go to Moscow?
5. Who tells Olga the brigade is leaving, which is then refuted to be a rumor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many men who covet the sisters seem to indicate that love is an unpredictable thing, and that love can not always be contained within a marriage.
Part 1: List the married couples in the play. Are they happily married? Why or why not?
Part 2: List the lovers in this play. Are the lover relationships more or less satisfying to the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Chekhov seem to be saying about the idea of love in relation to the structure of being a married couple?
Essay Topic 2
Many tragedies affect the characters of this play - so many that it seems tragic that these characters should endure so much.
Part 1: List the tragedies that take place in this place.
Part 2: Which tragedy is most important or most traumatic to the characters of the play?
Part 3: What do these tragedies symbolize in regards to the characters? How are the characters changed by each tragedy they face?
Essay Topic 3
Irina seems to be a sister with a lot on her mind throughout the play.
Part 1: Describe the character of Irina.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Irina to Olga
Part 3: What kind of character does Irina seem to be? Does she seem like a hopeful character? Why or why not? What does her presence seem to say about the idea of dreams?
This section contains 1,763 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)