|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says there should be a society created to help the victims of the disaster?
2. Who does Natasha want to move in with Olga, for her own personal reasons?
3. What does Natasha carry as she passes through the scene, causing Masha to accuse her of setting the fires?
4. Who wants to get rid of Anfisa, calling her someone who is unnecessary since this character does all the work around the house anyway?
5. Who calls out for Andrei to be quiet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within this play are many examples of the number '3' - not just in the title itself. The relevance of the number '3' seems to indicate a pattern within this play and within the lives of its characters.
Part 1: List at least three examples of where the number '3' is shown in the play.
Part 2: What is the significance of the number '3' in this play?
Part 3: What might Chekhov be trying to show the viewer or the reader in using the number '3' so often?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loneliness is one that seems to float into each scene of the play. Each character seems to have their own definition of how they experience this separation from others.
Part 1: Choose two characters who have experienced loneliness and describe their experiences.
Part 2: Does loneliness seem to strengthen these characters or weaken them? Support your answer.
Part 3: What does Chekhov seem to be saying about loneliness in its effect on the sisters? Is loneliness a good or a bad thing?
Essay Topic 3
The many men who covet the sisters seem to indicate that love is an unpredictable thing, and that love can not always be contained within a marriage.
Part 1: List the married couples in the play. Are they happily married? Why or why not?
Part 2: List the lovers in this play. Are the lover relationships more or less satisfying to the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Chekhov seem to be saying about the idea of love in relation to the structure of being a married couple?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)