|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened in the town that causes the people to be up and trying to help out in some way?
2. What does Vershin want Masha to do for him in order to keep their connection to each other?
3. Who wonders why falling in love in books seems to be so much better than in real life?
4. Who drops the small china clock, shattering it?
5. Who has shaved off his mustache because someone else did it first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Masha is one of the more outspoken sisters, and in doing so, she seems to give the reader/viewer a better idea as to the relationships between the sisters.
Part 1: Describe the character of Masha.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Irina to Masha.
Part 3: What is Masha's purpose in the play? What do her actions create within the context of the play? Does she seem to be a likable character? A likable sister?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting about this play is that the men are just as flawed as the women in their actions and in their ideas.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the emotional natures of the men and the women in this play.
Part 2: Does it seem the men are 'typical' men or are they different from the stereotypical male characters? If they are different, explain how. if they are the same, explain that answer.
Part 3: Does Chekhov seem to be saying that the sexes are equal in relation to their experience of life? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Solyony is aggressive in his profession of love for Irina, but the reader gets the sense that this may not be as honest as it seems.
Part 1: In what ways does Solyony profess his love for Irina?
Part 2: Do you believe Solyony really loves Irina? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Solyony is capable of love? Why or why not?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)