|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Irina think changes Andrei, a supposition that has upset her greatly?
2. Andrei ask for a key to _________ because saying he has lost his.
3. Who does Natasha say looks tired, which is a statement she has made before about the same character?
4. Whose house has burned to the ground according to the characters in the play?
5. Who says he is professing noble emotions even though he feels he is being ignored?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The ending of the play leaves the reader/viewer wondering if the sisters will every be truly happy in their lives. Part 1: Describe the last scene of the play, what happens, and what the sisters are feeling. Part 2: Do you have hope for the sisters at the end of the play? Why or why not? Part 3: In terms of the family connection, do you think that's the only thing that matters in the end of the play? Why or why not? What does this ending seem to tell the reader/viewer about hope, about love, and about dreams?
Essay Topic 2The family relationship is one that also seems important in this play, both in its presentation and in its effects on others. Part 1: Describe the family relationship in this play. Who is involved? Part 2: What importance do the parents of the sisters seem to have for their current experience? How do the dead parents affect the sisters now? Part 3: Does Chekhov seem to be saying that family is all you need? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3Irina seems to be a sister with a lot on her mind throughout the play. Part 1: Describe the character of Irina. Part 2: Compare and contrast Irina to Olga Part 3: What kind of character does Irina seem to be? Does she seem like a hopeful character? Why or why not? What does her presence seem to say about the idea of dreams?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)