|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pushing the baby carriage in the background?
2. What does Masha nickname her lover although everyone knows who he is?
3. Andrei ask for a key to _________ because saying he has lost his.
4. Who is being pursued by Ferapont, constantly walking away from him whenever he comes into the scene?
5. How long will it be until Vershinin's wife and daughters can follow him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of dreams is one the pervades this play. Everyone has dreams, and few realize them.
Part 1: What are the dreams of each of the characters?
Part 2: What does Chekhov seem to be saying about the idea of dreams and their relevance to happiness?
Part 3: What are some dreams which are realized in the end of the play? Are any truly realized?
Essay Topic 2
Irina seems to be a sister with a lot on her mind throughout the play.
Part 1: Describe the character of Irina.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Irina to Olga
Part 3: What kind of character does Irina seem to be? Does she seem like a hopeful character? Why or why not? What does her presence seem to say about the idea of dreams?
Essay Topic 3
The many men who covet the sisters seem to indicate that love is an unpredictable thing, and that love can not always be contained within a marriage.
Part 1: List the married couples in the play. Are they happily married? Why or why not?
Part 2: List the lovers in this play. Are the lover relationships more or less satisfying to the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Chekhov seem to be saying about the idea of love in relation to the structure of being a married couple?
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)