|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did the family leave Moscow to come to the provincial area where they are now settled?
2. Who thinks it's useless to know so many languages?
3. Who announces they're staying to lunch when the arrival of another character occurs?
4. What is going on during this particular time period of the scene?
5. Where exactly is the sisters' mother buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kulygin shave off his mustache?
2. What is the big news that is revealed in this scene's opening?
3. What happens a year ago to the day at the opening of the play?
4. Where is the final act of the play set?
5. Where is the first act of the play set?
6. What does Vershinin suggest he, Tusenbach, and Masha do?
7. How has Andrei changed since being with Natasha?
8. Where is the sisters' mother buried?
9. What does Irina do in response to the action of #13?
10. What does Masha sarcastically comment when Natasha enters the room with a candle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irina seems to be a sister with a lot on her mind throughout the play.
Part 1: Describe the character of Irina.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Irina to Olga
Part 3: What kind of character does Irina seem to be? Does she seem like a hopeful character? Why or why not? What does her presence seem to say about the idea of dreams?
Essay Topic 2
The family relationship is one that also seems important in this play, both in its presentation and in its effects on others.
Part 1: Describe the family relationship in this play. Who is involved?
Part 2: What importance do the parents of the sisters seem to have for their current experience? How do the dead parents affect the sisters now?
Part 3: Does Chekhov seem to be saying that family is all you need? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Andrei is the brother to the three sisters of the title of this play. But while his role may not be as large, it may be more important.
Part 1: Describe the character of Andrei as he is revealed in the play.
Part 2: Do you think Andrei chose the life he created for himself or were there other reasons for him to be in the life situation he chose?
Part 3: Do you feel sorry for Andrei in this play? Why or why not?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)