|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the women in the play describes herself as a little white bird?
2. Which sister works at the school with the answer to #37?
3. Who has come to the sisters' house with a message from the council?
4. Who does Masha joke is starting to look like a boy?
5. Whose clothes do not match, a fact which is pointed out by another character in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sisters celebrating when the play begins?
2. Why can't Chebutykin help Andrei with his shortness of breath?
3. Why is Natasha embarrassed when she sees Solyony?
4. Who believes that life ultimately has no meaning?
5. What is the big news that is revealed in this scene's opening?
6. Why does Chebutykin never marry, according to him?
7. What does the maid come in and tell Natasha?
8. Who talks about how much he loves Irina?
9. What is the setting and the time of the opening of Act 3, Part 1?
10. What do Irina and Olga talk about in relation to Moscow and their living situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of the army is one that continues to be seen throughout this play, whether in the lives of the characters or in the background of other events which take place.
Part 1: How is the army and the military revealed in this play?
Part 2: Does the military life seem to be one that is positive of negative? Support your answer.
Part 3: In the end, does the military seem to be a positive influence in the play? Does it seem to create hope or misery for the characters? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Andrei is the brother to the three sisters of the title of this play. But while his role may not be as large, it may be more important.
Part 1: Describe the character of Andrei as he is revealed in the play.
Part 2: Do you think Andrei chose the life he created for himself or were there other reasons for him to be in the life situation he chose?
Part 3: Do you feel sorry for Andrei in this play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The meaning of life is something that also begins to emerge as a theme in this play. Each character is searching for something, but what that 'something' is remains to be clear at times.
Part 1: What is Olga's sense of the meaning of life? How has she defined what makes her life worth living?
Part 2: What is Masha's sense of the meaning of life? How has her definition changed before and after Vershinin?
Part 3: What is Irina's hope in life causing her to do? She has hope for the future, but does that hinder her search for meaning or help it? Support your answer.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)