|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes a bad joke that is followed by an awkward silence?
2. Who does Solyony joke about being dead, shot by him in 25 years?
3. Who says again that life will never change when they are discussing the idea of what will be in 200 years?
4. Who does Masha joke is starting to look like a boy?
5. Who plays the piano and entertains the others as a result?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anfisa announce when she arrives at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
2. Where is the first act of the play set?
3. What is Masha angry about in relation to her brother?
4. Who seems to be going out, as indicated by their style of dress in the opening of this scene?
5. What is heard as Olga calls everyone to lunch?
6. Where is the sisters' mother buried?
7. What does Olga suggest Irina do in order to regain some happiness in her life?
8. When Tusenbach says he knows Irina does not love him, how does she respond?
9. What does Andrei do in the background throughout the scene?
10. What are some of Irina's complaints to Olga when Olga arrives in the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of celebration seems to be one that doesn't necessarily bring joy to the characters.
Part 1: Describe the celebrations that take place in this play.
Part 2: What causes these celebrations to be less than celebratory?
Part 3: Do you think the characters want to have celebrations and joy in their lives? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The family relationship is one that also seems important in this play, both in its presentation and in its effects on others.
Part 1: Describe the family relationship in this play. Who is involved?
Part 2: What importance do the parents of the sisters seem to have for their current experience? How do the dead parents affect the sisters now?
Part 3: Does Chekhov seem to be saying that family is all you need? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The meaning of life is something that also begins to emerge as a theme in this play. Each character is searching for something, but what that 'something' is remains to be clear at times.
Part 1: What is Olga's sense of the meaning of life? How has she defined what makes her life worth living?
Part 2: What is Masha's sense of the meaning of life? How has her definition changed before and after Vershinin?
Part 3: What is Irina's hope in life causing her to do? She has hope for the future, but does that hinder her search for meaning or help it? Support your answer.
This section contains 2,051 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)