|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the other characters that the maskers will be there soon?
2. How long ago did the family leave Moscow to come to the provincial area where they are now settled?
3. Where does Irina now work as revealed at the start of Act 2?
4. Who has not paid any rent in months according to Masha and Irina's conversation?
5. Kulygin is glad that _________ loves him and he continues to say this throughout the play.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Masha angry about in relation to her brother?
2. What does Tusenbach explain to Irina he has to do before he comes right back?
3. What is Andrei's dream, according to him?
4. Who recalls how beautiful the sisters' mother used to be?
5. What does Tusenbach tell Irina as he kisses her goodbye?
6. What is the rumor that is bothering Irina?
7. What does Tusenback reveal to Masha?
8. What is Anfisa worried about after Olga talks to her?
9. When Tusenbach says he knows Irina does not love him, how does she respond?
10. Who are now married and have a child together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Solyony is aggressive in his profession of love for Irina, but the reader gets the sense that this may not be as honest as it seems.
Part 1: In what ways does Solyony profess his love for Irina?
Part 2: Do you believe Solyony really loves Irina? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Solyony is capable of love? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting about this play is that the men are just as flawed as the women in their actions and in their ideas.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the emotional natures of the men and the women in this play.
Part 2: Does it seem the men are 'typical' men or are they different from the stereotypical male characters? If they are different, explain how. if they are the same, explain that answer.
Part 3: Does Chekhov seem to be saying that the sexes are equal in relation to their experience of life? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Irina seems to be a sister with a lot on her mind throughout the play.
Part 1: Describe the character of Irina.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Irina to Olga
Part 3: What kind of character does Irina seem to be? Does she seem like a hopeful character? Why or why not? What does her presence seem to say about the idea of dreams?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)