|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes a lot of pictures when he arrives, as he always does?
2. Who does Natasha want to not stop by, fearing for her child's rest?
3. What is the gift that arrives for the sisters from the answer to #16?
4. Who tells Chebutykin that he has one of the stew ingredients wrong?
5. How old is the character of Vershinin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Natasha embarrassed when she sees Solyony?
2. What is Masha angry about in relation to her brother?
3. Why can't Chebutykin help Andrei with his shortness of breath?
4. How has Andrei changed since being with Natasha?
5. Who recalls how beautiful the sisters' mother used to be?
6. Why does Chebutykin never marry, according to him?
7. What does Anfisa announce when she arrives at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
8. What does Natasha chatter about when she comes into this scene?
9. What does Andrei do in the background throughout the scene?
10. When Irina says she hopes to see Fedotik and Rode again, Fedotik says they will not. Why is that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olga is a curious sister in this play, with many unique attributes and ideas about life.
Part 1: Describe the character of Olga.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Olga to Natasha.
Part 3: Summarize the events which take place in Olga's life during the play. What do her experiences have to say about who she is and what her importance to the play is?
Essay Topic 2
Many tragedies affect the characters of this play - so many that it seems tragic that these characters should endure so much.
Part 1: List the tragedies that take place in this place.
Part 2: Which tragedy is most important or most traumatic to the characters of the play?
Part 3: What do these tragedies symbolize in regards to the characters? How are the characters changed by each tragedy they face?
Essay Topic 3
Andrei is the brother to the three sisters of the title of this play. But while his role may not be as large, it may be more important.
Part 1: Describe the character of Andrei as he is revealed in the play.
Part 2: Do you think Andrei chose the life he created for himself or were there other reasons for him to be in the life situation he chose?
Part 3: Do you feel sorry for Andrei in this play? Why or why not?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)