|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where exactly is the sisters' mother buried?
2. Which of the sisters knows Italian as an additional language to Russian?
3. What is the name of the child over whom Natasha worries excessively?
4. What is said to be far away, though no one knows why?
5. Who whistles quietly to herself as she reads during the opening part of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Irina's complaints to Olga when Olga arrives in the scene?
2. What is Andrei's dream, according to him?
3. Name the Prozoroff sisters.
4. What is the new job Tusenbach reveals he will start soon?
5. Where is the entire military contingent being posted?
6. What does the maid come in and tell Natasha?
7. What is the setting and the time of the opening of Act 3, Part 1?
8. Who are now married and have a child together?
9. What is Masha angry about in relation to her brother?
10. When Irina says she hopes to see Fedotik and Rode again, Fedotik says they will not. Why is that?
Essay Topic 1
The role of the army is one that continues to be seen throughout this play, whether in the lives of the characters or in the background of other events which take place.
Part 1: How is the army and the military revealed in this play?
Part 2: Does the military life seem to be one that is positive of negative? Support your answer.
Part 3: In the end, does the military seem to be a positive influence in the play? Does it seem to create hope or misery for the characters? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of the play doesn't change much from beginning to end. This causes the viewer/reader to focus more on the interactions than on the space in which these interactions take place.
Part 1: List the settings of the play.
Part 2: Discuss why Chekhov may have wanted to keep the settings to a minimum. What might this achieve?
Part 3: How do you think the setting, or lack thereof, has affected the mood of this play?
Essay Topic 3
Andrei is the brother to the three sisters of the title of this play. But while his role may not be as large, it may be more important.
Part 1: Describe the character of Andrei as he is revealed in the play.
Part 2: Do you think Andrei chose the life he created for himself or were there other reasons for him to be in the life situation he chose?
Part 3: Do you feel sorry for Andrei in this play? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,051 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)