|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to have a hearing problem as evidenced by the need for other characters to repeat themselves?
2. To whom does Vershinin tell the story of the prisoner who did not notice the beauty of bird song until he was incarcerated?
3. Which one of these characters is the Chairman of the District Council?
4. Who is the one sister who wouldn't be able to go back to Moscow?
5. When Irina turns down the book, to whom is the book next given?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tusenbach tell Irina as he kisses her goodbye?
2. What has Andrei been chosen to do by Protopopov?
3. What do Irina and Olga talk about in relation to Moscow and their living situation?
4. When Irina says she hopes to see Fedotik and Rode again, Fedotik says they will not. Why is that?
5. Why can't Chebutykin help Andrei with his shortness of breath?
6. What does Tusenbach tell Irina to ask the servants to do?
7. What is Masha's response to #27?
8. What is Masha angry about in relation to her brother?
9. Who recalls how beautiful the sisters' mother used to be?
10. What happens a year ago to the day at the opening of the play?
Essay Topic 1
The role of the army is one that continues to be seen throughout this play, whether in the lives of the characters or in the background of other events which take place.
Part 1: How is the army and the military revealed in this play?
Part 2: Does the military life seem to be one that is positive of negative? Support your answer.
Part 3: In the end, does the military seem to be a positive influence in the play? Does it seem to create hope or misery for the characters? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loneliness is one that seems to float into each scene of the play. Each character seems to have their own definition of how they experience this separation from others.
Part 1: Choose two characters who have experienced loneliness and describe their experiences.
Part 2: Does loneliness seem to strengthen these characters or weaken them? Support your answer.
Part 3: What does Chekhov seem to be saying about loneliness in its effect on the sisters? Is loneliness a good or a bad thing?
Essay Topic 3
Solyony is aggressive in his profession of love for Irina, but the reader gets the sense that this may not be as honest as it seems.
Part 1: In what ways does Solyony profess his love for Irina?
Part 2: Do you believe Solyony really loves Irina? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Solyony is capable of love? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,052 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)