|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has not paid any rent in months according to Masha and Irina's conversation?
2. Who gambles again with Andrei and causes him to lose money in the process?
3. Solyony jokes that _______ is made of cockroaches.
4. What does Masha warn Chebutykin not to do as he has embarrassed himself in the past?
5. Who was born and raised in an aristocratic family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Solyony's anger cause him to reveal?
2. Who believes that life ultimately has no meaning?
3. Why can't Chebutykin help Andrei with his shortness of breath?
4. What is the setting and the time of the opening of Act 3, Part 1?
5. What is Andrei's dream, according to him?
6. What is the story Vershinin tells to Masha?
7. When Irina says she hopes to see Fedotik and Rode again, Fedotik says they will not. Why is that?
8. What is Masha's response to #27?
9. What does Tusenbach tell Irina to ask the servants to do?
10. What is the celebration taking place at the time of this particular scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within this play are many examples of the number '3' - not just in the title itself. The relevance of the number '3' seems to indicate a pattern within this play and within the lives of its characters.
Part 1: List at least three examples of where the number '3' is shown in the play.
Part 2: What is the significance of the number '3' in this play?
Part 3: What might Chekhov be trying to show the viewer or the reader in using the number '3' so often?
Essay Topic 2
Irina seems to be a sister with a lot on her mind throughout the play.
Part 1: Describe the character of Irina.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Irina to Olga
Part 3: What kind of character does Irina seem to be? Does she seem like a hopeful character? Why or why not? What does her presence seem to say about the idea of dreams?
Essay Topic 3
Andrei is the brother to the three sisters of the title of this play. But while his role may not be as large, it may be more important.
Part 1: Describe the character of Andrei as he is revealed in the play.
Part 2: Do you think Andrei chose the life he created for himself or were there other reasons for him to be in the life situation he chose?
Part 3: Do you feel sorry for Andrei in this play? Why or why not?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)