Act 1, Part 1
* Olga, Masha and Irina are hosting a party for Irina's Saint's Day.
* Tusenbach announces their new commander Vershinin will be visiting later.
* Olga jokes about Irina lying in bed thinking too much.
* Masha says she is going to go, but that she will be back later.
* Chebutykin comes in with a large silver samovar as a gift, which embarrasses the sisters.
Act 1, Part 2
* Anifisa announces the arrival of Vershinin.
* The gathering is awkward at times, with some people making bad jokes and silences.
* Andrei plays his violin.
* Andrei jokes now that the sisters know Vershinin, who is from Moscow, they will never leave Vershinin alone.
* The sisters and brother taunt each other, hurting each other's feelings.
* Tusenbach talks about how a beautiful life must be earned.
Act 1, Part 3
* Kulygin comes in and gives Irina a book he wrote but Irina tells him he already gave her...
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)