|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lincoln tell Hooker not to do in "There is No Eligible Route for Us into Richmond"?
(a) Take Richmond.
(b) Rest his troops.
(c) Attack Lee's army.
(d) Pursue Lee's army.
2. Why did Lincoln thank the recipient of "Not Best to Swap Horses When Crossing Streams" for?
(a) Backing his favorite candidate to his old congressional seat.
(b) Backing his war spending bill effort.
(c) Backing him about the war.
(d) Backing him for the nomination of the Republican Party.
3. Who was "In This Sad World of Ours" for?
(a) A friend who lost a brother in the war.
(b) A young girl whose father was killed in the war.
(c) A widow whose sons were killed in the war.
(d) A politician who lost a son in the war.
4. Who does Lincoln thank in "Not Best to Swap Horses When Crossing Streams"?
(a) The Republican party.
(b) The anti-slavery league.
(c) The Union League.
(d) The Democratic party.
5. What claims did Lincoln dismiss in "Broken Eggs Cannot Be Mended"?
(a) A black army marching to Washington.
(b) The blacks electing their own president.
(c) The newly freed slaves rising to kill all the whites in the southern states.
(d) The whites farmers leaving for Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lincoln react to the reception of the Emancipation Proclamation according to "Breath Alone Kills No Rebels" ?
2. What state did Lincoln praise for abolishing slavery?
3. Why did Lincoln send "Quarrel Not at All" to the brother in law of Stephen Douglas?
4. Why was Hooker supposed to pursue Lee's army according to "There is No Eligible Route for Us into Richmond"?
5. What compelled Lincoln to take the steps leading to war and the Emancipation Proclamation according to "If Slavery is Not Wrong, Nothing is Wrong"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lincoln declare in January 1863 according to "A New Birth in Freedom"?
2. What does Lincoln foreshadow in response to a proclamation by General David Hunter?
3. What should Hooker's chief aim be according to another letter to Hooker?
4. What did Lincoln urge General McClellan to do in a letter?
5. What did Lincoln pocket veto?
6. What did Lincoln attempt to persuade Congress to do?
7. What trade did Lincoln reject?
8. What did Lincoln point out in a December 1863 address according to "Events Have Controlled Me"?
9. What does Lincoln claim in a response to a white man?
10. What was Lincoln under increasing pressure to do by July 1864?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)