|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the southern states doing at the time of "The Tug Has to Come"?
(a) Putting secession in motion.
(b) Wrote a letter to Lincoln.
(c) Hid their money from Lincoln.
(d) Paid their dues.
2. When was the Dred Scott case judged by the Supreme Court according to "All the Powers of Earth Seem Rapidly Combining Against Him"?
3. Who was "The Most Prompt, and Efficient Means" intended for?
(a) Lincoln's Generals in North Carolina.
(b) Lincoln's Generals at Kentucky.
(c) Lincoln's Generals at Illinois.
(d) Lincoln's Generals in Maryland.
4. What did Lincoln profess was needed to maintain America's political institutions?
(a) Will power.
(b) Desire for expansion.
(d) Restraint and self control.
5. What charges was "Blowing Out the Moral Lights Around Us" a response to?
(a) Lincoln being pro-slavery.
(b) Lincoln being a pacifist.
(c) Lincoln being an abolitionist.
(d) Lincoln being a politician.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Lincoln elected in the state legislature according to "I Shall Be Governed By Their Will"?
2. Why did Lincoln want troops to be raised in "To Suppress Said Combinations"?
3. What kind of education did Lincoln mostly rely on according to the "Preface"?
4. What was "The Eternal Struggle Between Right and Wrong" written for?
5. What did Lincoln say was one of government's most important roles in "The Legitimate Object of Government"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lincoln contrast the "mud-sill" theory with?
2. What will tear the Union asunder according to Lincoln's address to the Young Men's Lyceum of Springfield?
3. What did Lincoln stress in his inaugural address?
4. What did Lincoln write in 1832 according to '"Peculiar Ambition"?
5. How did Lincoln hone his argument by the sixth debate in Illinois in 1858?
6. What policies does Lincoln advocate in his letter to the editor of the Sangamo Journal in 1836?
7. Who was Grace Bedell and what did she suggest to Lincoln?
8. What does Lincoln express frustration with in regards to Henry Clay?
9. What did a political opponent charge Lincoln with in 1846?
10. Why did Lincoln criticize James K. Polk?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)