|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Lincoln belittle in "Bow to It I Never Will"?
(a) A Democratic party plan.
(b) A Republican party plan.
(c) A Know Nothing party plan.
(d) A Whig party plan.
2. When was Lincoln born?
3. What does Grace Bedell suggest Lincoln should do in the letter Lincoln answer to with "A Piece of Silly Affection" ?
(a) Meet her mother.
(b) Grow a beard.
(c) Eat more food.
(d) Marry her.
4. What was Lincoln seeking in "I am Not the First Choice of Many"?
(a) A seat at a convention.
(b) A ballot in the primary elections.
(c) A financial backer.
(d) The Republican nomination for presidential election.
5. When was Lincoln elected in the state legislature according to "I Shall Be Governed By Their Will"?
6. How does Lincoln portray Republicans concerning slavery?
(a) As conservative.
(b) As the most intelligent.
(c) As progressive.
(d) As the right choice for business.
7. Who did Lincoln face in the senatorial election according to "A House Divided"?
(a) John Hunter.
(b) Stephen Douglas.
(c) Arthur Hayne.
(d) Charles Pinckney.
8. Why did Lincoln write "I am Young and Unknown"?
(a) To discuss the politics of an opponent.
(b) To test his rhetoric.
(c) To introduce himself during his first run for office.
(d) To see if people liked his political agenda.
9. Who did Lincoln campaign for according to "Can We Not Come Together, for the Future"?
(a) The Whigs.
(b) The Know Nothings.
(c) The Democratic party.
(d) The Republican party.
10. At what age did Lincoln stop working on the family farm?
11. Who was the United States threatened by according to "Cold, Calculating, Unimpassioned Reason"?
(a) By slaves.
(b) By Mexico.
(c) By forces within.
(d) By Canada.
12. When was the Dred Scott case judged by the Supreme Court according to "All the Powers of Earth Seem Rapidly Combining Against Him"?
13. What financial advice did Lincoln give to lawyers in "Resolve to Be Honest"?
(a) Spent one day a month doing pro bono work.
(b) Charge what the client could afford.
(c) Not to charge exorbitant fees.
(d) Make as much money as possible.
14. When did Polk start a war with Mexico according to "No One Man Should Hold the Power"?
15. What theory is Lincoln supporting in "Opens the Way for All"?
(a) The value theory.
(b) The free labor theory.
(c) The mudsill theory.
(d) The theory of appropriation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state did Lincoln say would make a fine state on his own in "An Evil Tree Can Not Bring Forth Good Fruit"?
2. When was "I am Young and Unknown" written?
3. When was "Can We Not Come Together, for the Future" written?
4. What order did John Fremont give according to "To Conform to the Act of Congress"?
5. Who made the charge Lincoln answered to in "I am Not a Member of Any Church" ?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)