|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lincoln rail against in "It is the End of Us"?
(a) Southern extortion attempts.
(b) Southern troops.
(c) Southern religious ideals.
(d) Southern cooking.
2. Why was war never declared between the Union and the Confederacy?
(a) The Confederacy would not last long at the hands of Lincoln.
(b) The Confederacy was thought to be weak.
(c) The Confederacy was not considered important.
(d) The Confederacy was not consider an independent country by the Union.
3. What was considered improper at the time of the writing of "The Taste is in My Mouth"?
(a) Actively seeking the presidential nomination.
(b) Actively seeking financial donations.
(c) Actively pursuing a seat at a convention.
(d) Getting on the ballot in primary elections.
4. When was Lincoln elected in the state legislature according to "I Shall Be Governed By Their Will"?
5. What is the topic of "More Painful Than Pleasant"?
(a) The imminent death of Lincoln's father.
(b) The imminent death of Lincoln's mother.
(c) The imminent death of Lincoln's sister.
(d) The imminent death of Lincoln's brother in law.
6. When was "Founded on Both Injustice and Bad Policy" written?
7. What order did John Fremont give according to "To Conform to the Act of Congress"?
(a) To free slaves in three cities.
(b) To free slaves of plantation owners.
(c) To free slaves of disloyal residents.
(d) To free slaves of captured soldiers.
8. When was "A Moral, a Social, and a Political Wrong" written?
9. What were the southern states doing at the time of "The Tug Has to Come"?
(a) Paid their dues.
(b) Hid their money from Lincoln.
(c) Putting secession in motion.
(d) Wrote a letter to Lincoln.
10. What charges was "Blowing Out the Moral Lights Around Us" a response to?
(a) Lincoln being a pacifist.
(b) Lincoln being a politician.
(c) Lincoln being an abolitionist.
(d) Lincoln being pro-slavery.
11. When was the Dred Scott case judged by the Supreme Court according to "All the Powers of Earth Seem Rapidly Combining Against Him"?
12. What was Lincoln not comfortable with according to the editor?
(a) Expressing personal feelings.
(b) Talking in public.
(c) Talking to constituents.
(d) Writing letters.
13. What was still an unpopular stance at the time Lincoln wrote "Where I Now Stand"?
(a) Being Republican.
(b) Being pro-slavery.
(c) Being an abolitionist.
(d) Being a Democrat.
14. Who did Lincoln belittle in "Bow to It I Never Will"?
(a) A Know Nothing party plan.
(b) A Whig party plan.
(c) A Democratic party plan.
(d) A Republican party plan.
15. What did Lincoln say was one of government's most important roles in "The Legitimate Object of Government"?
(a) Raise taxes.
(b) Support the economy.
(c) Wedge war.
(d) Address crimes and wrongdoing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who could not become a citizen of the United States according to the Dred Scott ruling?
2. What kind of education did Lincoln mostly rely on according to the "Preface"?
3. What did Lincoln urge Congress NOT to do in "The Tug Has to Come"?
4. Who was "More Painful Than Pleasant" intended for?
5. Who did Lincoln express his frustration with for not voting for the Party candidate in the presidential election?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)