|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lincoln portray himself in "For, and Not Against the Union"?
(a) As an abolitionist.
(b) As a moderate.
(c) As a Catholic.
(d) As a slave owner.
2. What does Lincoln say of secession in"The Union is Perpetual"?
(a) That it would hurt the economy.
(b) That it would be the cause of financial collapse.
(c) That no state had the right to secede.
(d) That it could be necessary, but not in this case.
3. Why did Lincoln vote for Polk's military spending bills?
(a) He felt it would give me political gain.
(b) He was pro-war.
(c) His district was pro-war.
(d) He did not want to endanger the troops.
4. Who did Lincoln offend in "A House Divided" according to "Construed So Differently from Any Thing Intended by Me"?
(a) Southern States.
(c) Southern plantation owners.
5. What was Lincoln not comfortable with according to the editor?
(a) Writing letters.
(b) Talking in public.
(c) Talking to constituents.
(d) Expressing personal feelings.
6. What skills attracted historians to Lincoln?
(a) His military skills.
(b) His negotiating skills.
(c) His penmanship.
(d) His rhetoric skills.
7. What did Lincoln see as advantageous when writing "I Accept the Nomination"?
(a) Being vague about policy.
(b) Being specific about policy.
(c) Being clear about his enemies in the south.
(d) Being clear about his political allies.
8. What was the worry according to "The Most Prompt, and Efficient Means"?
(a) That Illinois would secede.
(b) That North Carolina would secede.
(c) That Maryland would secede.
(d) That Kentucky would secede.
9. What was Lincoln slow to recognize the true gravity of in "There is No Cause for Such Fears"?
(a) The financial crisis.
(b) The Davis crisis.
(c) The secession crisis.
(d) The Congress crisis.
10. Who was the United States threatened by according to "Cold, Calculating, Unimpassioned Reason"?
(a) By forces within.
(b) By Canada.
(c) By Mexico.
(d) By slaves.
11. Who was "More Painful Than Pleasant" intended for?
(a) Lincoln's father.
(b) Lincoln's step-brother.
(c) Lincoln's mother.
(d) Lincoln's sister.
12. When was the Kansas-Nebraska act signed according to "Our Republican Robe is Soiled"?
13. What did Lincoln want to wait for before deciding to take action according to "The Most Prompt, and Efficient Means"?
(a) A vote on secession by the North Carolina state legislature.
(b) A vote on secession by the Maryland state legislature.
(c) A vote on secession by the Illinois state legislature.
(d) A vote on secession by the Kentucky state legislature.
14. What theory is Lincoln supporting in "Opens the Way for All"?
(a) The value theory.
(b) The mudsill theory.
(c) The free labor theory.
(d) The theory of appropriation.
15. Who did Lincoln belittle in "Bow to It I Never Will"?
(a) A Know Nothing party plan.
(b) A Democratic party plan.
(c) A Republican party plan.
(d) A Whig party plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who could not become a citizen of the United States according to the Dred Scott ruling?
2. What did Lincoln stress in "The Union is Perpetual"?
3. What did Lincoln refuse to do according to "It is the End of Us"?
4. What was to become of Alexander Stephens according to the editor?
5. What does Lincoln tell Senator Lyman Trumbull in "The Taste is in My Mouth"?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)