|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Lincoln offend in "A House Divided" according to "Construed So Differently from Any Thing Intended by Me"?
(c) Southern plantation owners.
(d) Southern States.
2. Who did Lincoln face in the senatorial election according to "A House Divided"?
(a) Arthur Hayne.
(b) Stephen Douglas.
(c) Charles Pinckney.
(d) John Hunter.
3. What order did John Fremont give according to "To Conform to the Act of Congress"?
(a) To free slaves of disloyal residents.
(b) To free slaves of plantation owners.
(c) To free slaves in three cities.
(d) To free slaves of captured soldiers.
4. What did Lincoln think of black and white interaction according to "The Social and Political Equality of the Races"?
(a) Blacks should be shipped back to Africa.
(b) Blacks should be left alone and segregated.
(c) Blacks should be integrated into society.
(d) Blacks should be paid for their labor.
5. What were the southern states doing at the time of "The Tug Has to Come"?
(a) Hid their money from Lincoln.
(b) Wrote a letter to Lincoln.
(c) Putting secession in motion.
(d) Paid their dues.
6. What does Lincoln not believe in according to "The Social and Political Equality of the Races"?
(a) Racial equality.
7. When was "I am Young and Unknown" written?
8. What does Lincoln rail against in "It is the End of Us"?
(a) Southern extortion attempts.
(b) Southern religious ideals.
(c) Southern troops.
(d) Southern cooking.
9. Why did Lincoln vote for Polk's military spending bills?
(a) He did not want to endanger the troops.
(b) He felt it would give me political gain.
(c) He was pro-war.
(d) His district was pro-war.
10. What did Lincoln belittle in "A Question of Interest"?
(a) A political opponent.
(b) Pro-slavery positions.
(c) A Southern slave owner.
(d) Emancipation proposition.
11. Why was war never declared between the Union and the Confederacy?
(a) The Confederacy was not considered important.
(b) The Confederacy was thought to be weak.
(c) The Confederacy would not last long at the hands of Lincoln.
(d) The Confederacy was not consider an independent country by the Union.
12. What did Lincoln say was one of government's most important roles in "The Legitimate Object of Government"?
(a) Address crimes and wrongdoing.
(b) Raise taxes.
(c) Support the economy.
(d) Wedge war.
13. What was to become of Alexander Stephens according to the editor?
(a) He would become vice president of the Confederacy.
(b) He would become president of the Confederacy.
(c) He would become the first General in the Confederacy.
(d) He would leave the Confederacy for the Union.
14. What financial advice did Lincoln give to lawyers in "Resolve to Be Honest"?
(a) Not to charge exorbitant fees.
(b) Spent one day a month doing pro bono work.
(c) Make as much money as possible.
(d) Charge what the client could afford.
15. What state did Lincoln say would make a fine state on his own in "An Evil Tree Can Not Bring Forth Good Fruit"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Kansas-Nebraska act signed according to "Our Republican Robe is Soiled"?
2. Who was the United States threatened by according to "Cold, Calculating, Unimpassioned Reason"?
3. Who was "For a Vast Future Also" intended for?
4. What was Lincoln not comfortable with according to the editor?
5. When was "A Moral, a Social, and a Political Wrong" written?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)