|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of education did Lincoln mostly rely on according to the "Preface"?
(a) Post graduate studies.
(b) High school.
(c) Some college.
(d) Self education.
2. Who was "An Affectionate Farewell" intended for?
(a) His family.
(b) Mary Todd.
(c) His Illinois constituents.
(d) His close friend
3. When was Lincoln born?
4. Who did Lincoln face in the senatorial election according to "A House Divided"?
(a) Charles Pinckney.
(b) John Hunter.
(c) Stephen Douglas.
(d) Arthur Hayne.
5. What did Lincoln refuse to do according to "It is the End of Us"?
(a) Compromise on finances.
(b) Compromise on extortion.
(c) Compromise on slavery.
(d) Compromise on religious freedom.
6. What did Lincoln say was one of government's most important roles in "The Legitimate Object of Government"?
(a) Support the economy.
(b) Address crimes and wrongdoing.
(c) Raise taxes.
(d) Wedge war.
7. What theory does Lincoln try to disprove in "Opens the Way for All"?
(a) The value theory.
(b) The free labor theory.
(c) The mudsill theory.
(d) The theory of appropriation.
8. What did Lincoln profess was needed to maintain America's political institutions?
(b) Desire for expansion.
(c) Will power.
(d) Restraint and self control.
9. What did Lincoln see as advantageous when writing "I Accept the Nomination"?
(a) Being specific about policy.
(b) Being vague about policy.
(c) Being clear about his enemies in the south.
(d) Being clear about his political allies.
10. Where was Lincoln headed for according to "An Affectionate Farewell" ?
(b) New York.
11. What skills attracted historians to Lincoln?
(a) His negotiating skills.
(b) His military skills.
(c) His penmanship.
(d) His rhetoric skills.
12. What did Lincoln think of black and white interaction according to "The Social and Political Equality of the Races"?
(a) Blacks should be shipped back to Africa.
(b) Blacks should be integrated into society.
(c) Blacks should be paid for their labor.
(d) Blacks should be left alone and segregated.
13. When was "The Tug Has to Come" written?
(a) When Lincoln announced he would accept the nomination.
(b) Before Lincoln saw the election results.
(c) After his inauguration.
(d) After Lincoln's election as President.
14. At what age did Lincoln stop working on the family farm?
15. When was "A Moral, a Social, and a Political Wrong" written?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Lincoln belittle in "Bow to It I Never Will"?
2. When was the sketch in the "Prologue" written?
3. What state did Lincoln say would make a fine state on his own in "An Evil Tree Can Not Bring Forth Good Fruit"?
4. When was Lincoln elected in the state legislature according to "I Shall Be Governed By Their Will"?
5. When did Polk start a war with Mexico according to "No One Man Should Hold the Power"?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)