|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the worry according to "The Most Prompt, and Efficient Means"?
(a) That Maryland would secede.
(b) That North Carolina would secede.
(c) That Kentucky would secede.
(d) That Illinois would secede.
2. How does Lincoln portray himself in "For, and Not Against the Union"?
(a) As a moderate.
(b) As a Catholic.
(c) As an abolitionist.
(d) As a slave owner.
3. When was "A Moral, a Social, and a Political Wrong" written?
4. Why did Lincoln write "I am Young and Unknown"?
(a) To discuss the politics of an opponent.
(b) To test his rhetoric.
(c) To introduce himself during his first run for office.
(d) To see if people liked his political agenda.
5. What would doom African American slaves according to "Public Sentiment"?
(a) The public thinking that slavery it was not a moral issue.
(b) The public thinking it was in the hands of the states.
(c) The public thinking it was in the hands of Lincoln.
(d) The public thinking it was a financial issue.
6. What is the most important characteristic of the ideal lawyer according to "Resolve to Be Honest"?
(d) Rhetoric skills.
7. What did Lincoln belittle in "A Question of Interest"?
(a) A Southern slave owner.
(b) Emancipation proposition.
(c) Pro-slavery positions.
(d) A political opponent.
8. What is the topic of "More Painful Than Pleasant"?
(a) The imminent death of Lincoln's father.
(b) The imminent death of Lincoln's sister.
(c) The imminent death of Lincoln's brother in law.
(d) The imminent death of Lincoln's mother.
9. What charge did Lincoln answer to in "I am Not a Member of Any Church" ?
(a) Being Mornon.
(b) Being Franc Masson.
(c) Being Catholic.
(d) Being an atheist.
10. Why was war never declared between the Union and the Confederacy?
(a) The Confederacy was thought to be weak.
(b) The Confederacy was not considered important.
(c) The Confederacy was not consider an independent country by the Union.
(d) The Confederacy would not last long at the hands of Lincoln.
11. Who made the charge Lincoln answered to in "I am Not a Member of Any Church" ?
(a) A political opponent.
(b) One of his constituents.
(c) A prominent Preacher.
(d) The Supreme Court.
12. What line of the Declaration did Lincoln cite in"All the Powers of Earth Seem Rapidly Combining Against Him"?
(a) Four score and seven years.
(b) A house divided.
(c) All men are created equal.
(d) This expresses my idea of democracy.
13. What did Lincoln urge Congress NOT to do in "The Tug Has to Come"?
(a) Give the south the chance to gather forces.
(b) Give the south an extension on their taxes.
(c) Give the south any extension of slavery.
(d) Give the south financial support.
14. What was Lincoln slow to recognize the true gravity of in "There is No Cause for Such Fears"?
(a) The secession crisis.
(b) The Davis crisis.
(c) The financial crisis.
(d) The Congress crisis.
15. What does Grace Bedell suggest Lincoln should do in the letter Lincoln answer to with "A Piece of Silly Affection" ?
(a) Grow a beard.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Eat more food.
(d) Meet her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lincoln see as advantageous when writing "I Accept the Nomination"?
2. What was Lincoln seeking in "I am Not the First Choice of Many"?
3. Where was Lincoln headed for according to "An Affectionate Farewell" ?
4. What was considered improper at the time of the writing of "The Taste is in My Mouth"?
5. Who could not become a citizen of the United States according to the Dred Scott ruling?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)