|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did JFK read aloud at a meeting with a Russian representative?
2. Who was U Thant?
3. What did JFK ask in a letter to Khrushchev after ordering the blockade?
4. Who did Robert admire and who also began attending meetings after the meeting with the Joint Chiefs of Staff?
5. What did Robert suggest JFK do on September 4th regarding the possibility of Russia placing missiles in Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Intelligence Community not believe Cuba was a threat to the United States?
2. What personal insights does RFK provide about JFK when they are waiting for news about the first ships meant to reach the blockade?
3. Why does RFK defend Adlai Stevenson's suggestion?
4. When was Congress told, and how did Congress react to the news of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
5. What was one argument against a blockade?
6. Why does JFK bring up the book The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman?
7. How did the US obtain their information about Russian activity in Cuba?
8. What other actions did the U.S. take besides the blockade?
9. How did RFK feel about his fellow members of in Ex Comm?
10. What information did the Intelligence Community have about the missiles in September, but did not inform the President about at that time? Why were they not passed on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cuban Missile Crisis presented itself as a first ever occurrence for the U.S., and modern technology played a role in how it was handled. Identify three ways that technology effected how the Cuban Missile Crisis was handled and why it had this effect.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining the importance of peer evaluation. Develop an argument that is either for using groups or against it. Was the group effort successfully used for Ex Comm? Why or why not? What lesson can be learned from this?
Essay Topic 3
In an essay compare the "hawks" and "doves" from Thirteen Days. What does the symbol mean? Who was a hawk? A dove? How do the symbols help to illustrate their differences?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)